Chen ZiQiang push hands invitational to Perth, AU (2019)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Chen ZiQiang push hands invitational to Perth, AU (2019)

Postby Bhassler on Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:16 pm

Doc Stier wrote:With all due respect to Teacher Chen, in every other major TCC style, what was demonstrated there would be seen as competitive wrestling, not as tui-shou (push hands).

Additionally, there is no martial virtue (wu-de) in aggressively dominating compliant and less skilled partners with excessive forcefulness, and with little or no concern for the partner's safety or potential injury. As such, imo, this type of demonstration would seem to be primarily intended to gratify the teacher's ego and to intimate everyone who agrees to interact with him so he can accomplish exactly that.

That said, did he actually succeed in making himself look good or bad on the whole, all things considered? I would say the latter, but what do you think?

I think CZQ comes off looking like a goon, mostly because he is a goon.

Formosa Neijia wrote:Two things:
1. some of the Chen village people are real assholes. One of the "four Buddha attendants" is a literal gangster that uses thugs to beat people up. I've been saying this for years and no one wants to believe it because they haven't dealt with it directly. Some of them are incredibly arrogant and won't miss a chance to show it. Many of these recent videos show "push hands bullies" whose whole job is to go around intimidating others, throw teachers out of prime teaching spots in the parks, close down other schools, etc. At the 50:00 mark in the podcast Gawain Sue says they told him this is how it is in China.

If you have experience in this style of PH you know instantly whether or not the opponent also has such experience and ....every...single...time I've seen these clips, the Western opponent has ZERO such experience and is a lamb being led to slaughter. The reaction in all these clips is way over the top, the level of force being used is excessive and deliberate. CZQ and his ilk did this on purpose. He got in there because the student wasn't slamming the Westerners fast or hard enough. Watch the clip closely and you'll see every single time, the Chen people have a superior position and the other side doesn't even know it. The Chens even pause occasionally because they expect the opponent to react and the opponent doesn't. the Chen guy kind of doesn't believe it because in China PH tourneys no one would just allow that to happen and then goes through with the technique with a lot more power than is necessary.

2. This is Gawain Sue from the southern mantis branch taught by the controversial Henry Sue and his brother Malcolm. Malcolm invented this combined style that incorporates taiji into it. Look at the podcast where they talk about the incident. These white hippie libtards in the school think the Chinese are all about peace, love, and being at one with the TAO and instead they got subjected to a very different but real aspect of Chinese culture. Call it "enlightenment by concrete." The woman on the right is especially annoying with her "we practice to maximize human development" bullshit (she says she's a therapist so she views everything through therapy) and as she goes on and on about it, Gawain Sue at the 47:00 mark says he's about to cry. This is the problem with taiji in the West -- it's nothing but hippy-dippy bullshit. This taoist/Cheng Manching crap permeates and ruins taiji and people keep getting shown this over and over and over and they still don't get it. The conclusion of the podcast is they still aren't hippy enough. :D

Sue has an official branch of Chen Zhonghua's Practical Method school-- you can find him listed on the website. As you yourself have pointed out, CZH's guys do well in push hands tourneys, and typically show well against people who do the village style. CZQ's guys weren't being too nice-- they didn't throw Sue's guys because they couldn't. CZQ got embarrassed that his guys couldn't do anything, which is exactly what Sue wanted. As I said, it was a setup. CZQ made it worse by jumping in himself and beating up students when his own students weren't up to the task, which gives Sue the double benefit of having his students look more competent than CZQ's and also getting to take the high road as the "victim". It's a bunch of political bullshit between arrogant teachers with potentially clueless students as the fodder.

I've also heard stories about certain famous members of the Chen family. I don't generally repeat them because it's all hearsay, but I will call CZQ a goon because I met him and, in my opinion, he is a goon.
Last edited by Bhassler on Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby robert on Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:34 pm

Formosa Neijia wrote: This is the problem with taiji in the West -- it's nothing but hippy-dippy bullshit. This taoist/Cheng Manching crap permeates and ruins taiji and people keep getting shown this over and over and over and they still don't get it.

I get the impression a lot of people aren't aware that there are eight jin in push hands. Lieh, cai, zhou, and kao aren't nice. Here's a video of Chen Bing at the nationals in China in 2000. Note that he uses kao and his opponent winds up on his a$$.

Here's Yang Jun showing the eight jin in push hands. YJ is demonstrating, if you practice these it's easy to wind up on the ground.

The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:02 pm

Just a couple of points wasn’t it a CMC guy who won the Chen contest
I have never heard anything controversial about Henry Su
I live a couple of suburbs from his school
His brother Malcom ,Gwains father is a different Kettle of Fish
He trained young guys who went straight into the illegal gambling joints in Brisbane as enforcers and some got into a lot of trouble
I don’t like to sit back and snipe Doc but I think your summation is pretty spot on
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:08 pm

Formosa Neijia wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:With all due respect to Teacher Chen, in every other major TCC style, what was demonstrated there would be seen as competitive wrestling, not as tui-shou (push hands).
Granted this was called a push hands demo so the level of force is off the charts but moving push hands tourneys have real honest-to-God throwing (throws ARE in taiji too!), not the fairy crap you see here in the States and the rest of the West.
Additionally, there is no martial virtue (wu-de) in aggressively dominating compliant and less skilled partners with excessive forcefulness, and with little or no concern for the partner's safety or potential injury. As such, imo, this type of demonstration would seem to be primarily intended to gratify the teacher's ego and to intimate everyone who agrees to interact with him so he can accomplish exactly that.

That said, did he actually succeed in making himself look good or bad on the whole, all things considered? I would say the latter, but what do you think?

Was Genghis Khan concerned with wude? It's all Sun-tzu: you feed the enemy a line of bull about wude this and wude that to disarm them then go in and slam them with superior force.

What's missing is how this will be played in China -- "look! We just destroyed another group of pansy Westerners!" This will make the rounds of Chinese social media and will play VERY WELL there.

C'mon, brother! Chen didn't appear at this event as a military commander out to destroy his enemies with overwhelming force. Chen was supposedly a guest who, imo, displayed incredibly bad manners and zero appreciation for the opportunity to demonstrate his art in a respectful fashion.

Nobody has denied that the techniques employed are legitimate applications, but only that the way they were applied was inappropriate to the circumstances and the people being used for the demonstration. It was a bad look.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:11 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Just a couple of points wasn’t it a CMC guy who won the Chen contest
I have never heard anything controversial about Henry Su
I live a couple of suburbs from his school
His brother Malcom ,Gwains father is a different Kettle of Fish
He trained young guys who went straight into the illegal gambling joints in Brisbane as enforcers and some got into a lot of trouble
I don’t like to sit back and snipe Doc but I think your summation is pretty spot on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNXnxCpjUNM

I get the impression a lot of people aren't aware that there are eight jin in push hands.

mmm, wonder what happened to the other 4 jins.
Guess they didn't get the message :P
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bob on Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:46 pm

Just for the record that CMC guy was Mario Napoli and the interview is quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL0NHggkDcU

he Drunken Boxing Podcast #022

My guest today is none other than Mario Napoli. I heard about Mario many many years ago. He rose to fame due to the fact that he was the first and the last non Chinese to enter the Chen village push hands championships and win. After he did this, aspects of participation were changed permanently to avoid such things from happening again in such a manner.

Mario’s study of the art of Taiji was through his teacher, Stanley Israel, who was a highly respected Judo teacher in new York in the mid 20th century and his skill in the art was well known. However, Stan met the famed Zheng Manqing or Chen Manching who was a highly acclaimed pioneer in the USA who taught taijiquan in New York. Stan was instantly impressed with his skill and started his study of taijiquan under him. It was from this solid base that Mario began his study in to the art which took him to achieve what he did.

Mario Napoli's YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mnpli

Bob
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:51 pm

Bob wrote:Just for the record that CMC guy was Mario Napoli and the interview is quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL0NHggkDcU

he Drunken Boxing Podcast #022

My guest today is none other than Mario Napoli. I heard about Mario many many years ago. He rose to fame due to the fact that he was the first and the last non Chinese to enter the Chen village push hands championships and win. After he did this, aspects of participation were changed permanently to avoid such things from happening again in such a manner.

Mario’s study of the art of Taiji was through his teacher, Stanley Israel, who was a highly respected Judo teacher in new York in the mid 20th century and his skill in the art was well known. However, Stan met the famed Zheng Manqing or Chen Manching who was a highly acclaimed pioneer in the USA who taught taijiquan in New York. Stan was instantly impressed with his skill and started his study of taijiquan under him. It was from this solid base that Mario began his study in to the art which took him to achieve what he did.

Mario Napoli's YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mnpli

Alex Dong said that Mario was pretty good and actually got him a couple times till he figured out his game and shut it down.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:56 am

"enlightenment by concrete" - lol
;D ;D ;D ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:23 pm

I know who Mario is I just didn’t mention his name as I got the feeling he wanted to distance himself from tai chi
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:34 am

now, I gettin` the impression, that judo is much more elegant style to show:
"my arse is much rounded, than yours"
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:52 pm

Napoli is a boss! Sometime you have to do stuff like he did to show an equal level of skilll so it is seen you can do it politiely and with grace.
Want to better your taijiquan? WOrk on the shuai, na (grabbing) etc and any art that will complement it. DOn't tell anyone but do it 10,000 times for effect.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Iron_Panda on Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:37 am

This was an very interesting event. Maybe a bit of background fact will be good.

The "Australia Chinese Tai Chi Association Incorporated" or Australia Chinese Tai Chi Association is a Chen style tai chi group based in Perth, Western Australia. The individual(s) who head the group wanted to established link to the Chen Village. As a result they have invited Chen XiaoWang to Perth in early June 2019 via the Confucius Institute in The University of Western Australia (https://www.confuciusinstitute.uwa.edu.au/whats-on/news-stories/2019/tai-chi-master-class). Although Chen XiaoWang lived in Sydney for 10 years during the early 90's, he never establish a school in Western Australia. Following his visit, along with his wife and 16 disciples from China, Taiwan,HK and Australia, Chen XiaoWang promise to "setup shop" in Western Australia via the Australia Chinese Tai Chi Association.

Following the success Chen XiaoWang visit, Australia Chinese Tai Chi Association decided to organise a follow-up event whereby the Chen family will be "officially" have presence in Western Australia. Therefore, in November 2019 the Chen Village sent their representative, ZiQiang, to the Perth's second event, Australia Chinese Taichi Cultural Exchange Conference. The wording of this event is misleading. The first three words of the event name is really referring to the organiser's. Hence, the name of the event is stating Australia Chinese Tai Chi Association Cultural Exchange Conference.

The use of the word "Conference" is also misleading. Other than the first day where ZiQiang demonstrated and people exchanged push hands, the rest of the ZiQiang trip was going to a small hand full of kung fu clubs to demonstrate his family art, hence not much of a conference.

Lastly, the word "exchange" has a different meaning in China. In china the use of the word exchange is a courteous way of asking for a challenge. Such exchange is known in the china's gardens and parks where martial art are practiced .

At the "exchange" where the push hands was held, most of those who have attended were doing various styles of taichi for health, including those from the Australia Chinese Tai Chi Association. The main group that have marital art background that participated in the push hand exchange was Ging Mo headed by an Australian born Shifu, Gawain Sue. The Ging Mo group practice Chen ZhongHau's Practical Method Taichi, which is a version of Chen tai chi from the Hong lineage. However, Ging Mo's main martial art taught at its school is a version of Southern Mantis (aka Jow or Chow Gar Tong Long).

I have see how poorly the organiser has arranged Chen XiaoWang's trip, and i am not surprise Chen ZiQiang probably don't really understand what has been organised. ZiQiang was there to establish Chen Village tai chi presence. In his view and his family's, Taichi Practical Methods of ZhangHau's system is not "Real Chen".

With all the above information, one can see the Ging Mo has no idea what was coming. Following the exchange, Gawain Sue said they told him this is how it is in China. This may be true, but the organiser failed to realised this is not in China. The organiser didn't consider safety issues and failed to realise such exchange can lead to potential unfavorable results. For the Australia Chinese Tai Chi Association brush concerns as " this is how it is in China" shows the organiser didn't understand of legal ramifications that they and/or ZiQiang may face if people were injured or died from such exchanges.
Iron_Panda
Santi

Postby everything on Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:09 am

Welcome. Thanks for this background. Certainly sounds like there were some points of confusion.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:35 pm

Two things I would like to add
Perth is quite isolated and a bit of a backwater
The yang Tai chi the Su brothers teach is not of a very high level
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links