1st Kyokushin Karate Tourney — Kung Fu vs Kyokushin Matches

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

1st Kyokushin Karate Tourney — Kung Fu vs Kyokushin Matches

Postby marvin8 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:15 pm

Fight Commentary Breakdowns
Mar 27, 2022

We found two historical martial arts treasures from the 70s. In this Karate tournament in 1975 in Japan, we have two Kungfu guys from Hong Kong challenging two Kyokushin guys from Japan. In the first match, we have 郑民兴 (Zheng minxing) VS 岸信行 (Kishi Nobuyuki). In the second match, we have Wing Chun notable CM Wong (王春民) vs future Kyokushin legend 二宮城光 (Joko Ninomiya). Let's see how the matches go against the Kungfu guys and also how the rules of Kyokushin might favor a certain format of fighting. Finally, stay tuned at the end for major updates to my life journey!

Zheng Minxing Kungfu vs Kishi Nobuyuki [0:00]
Slow mo analysis [2:03]
CM Wong Wing Chun vs Joko Ninomiya [3:43]
Slow mo analysis 2 [4:55]
New braces Need advice [5:43]
Outro [6:50]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT5lrZB1bIo

Fighting Black Kings

This documentary follows the training regimen of fighters from all over the world as they prepare for the prestigious all-world full contact karate tournament in Japan.

The First World Open Kyokushin Karate Tournament was held on the 1st & 2nd of November 1975 in Tokyo, with 128 competitors from 32 countries participating.

This tournament, long desired and long planned by Sosai Oyama, was organized primarily to give karateka around the world the opportunity to meet each other in organized combat and to therefore further foster friendship and the development of the Kyokushinkaikan.

Although ‘World Tournaments’ have been held by other Karate Associations around the world, this was the first truly ‘Open’ Karate tournament and contained many unique features. Exponents from other styles were invited and there were no weight divisions, thereby being making the tournament truly open.

At the time Kyokushin tournament rules were unique in the karate world due to the Kyokushin philosophy of full contact, knockdown fighting with no protective equipment. However, recognizing the need for a certain degree of protection for tournament purposes, rules banning any hand contact to the face, contact to the groin and grabbing were formulated.

The tournament itself was a great success, attracting a record crowd of 15,000 on the final day. All countries performed well, but it was the Japanese exponents who excelled most brilliantly and the winner of the first world open Kyoksuhin Karate championship was Katsuaki Sato.

The tournament was a huge success, binding many strong ties of friendship and really placing Kyokushin Karate into the world’s consciousness as truly the strongest karate:

At 29:21, Kungfu vs Kyokushin Matches:

https://vimeo.com/228435559
marvin8
Wuji

Re: 1st Kyokushin Karate Tourney — Kung Fu vs Kyokushin Matches

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:52 pm

Cameron Quin who translated Oyamas book and is married to his daughter let me kindly use his Dojo to teach
He took me over to some photos on the wall
Showing me three guys sitting together
He said these are the three best fighters we have and they all do Hsing I
I think what he was talking about was Takkai Ken or I Chuan
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:35 am

Excellent commentary!
From Day 1, CMA (many) lack the cardiovascular conditioning needed for 'long term' projection of physicval prowess and lacking 'shuai' and 'na' concepts, thereby weakening the foundation of CMA. Just saying....
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:52 am

yeniseri wrote:From Day 1, CMA (many) lack the cardiovascular conditioning needed for 'long term' projection of physicval prowess and lacking 'shuai' and 'na' concepts, thereby weakening the foundation of CMA. Just saying....

And cardio is one of the main secrets of higher level qigong/neigong because it directly increases the amount of qi you have in your body more than anything else. Two of the main components of qi are breath and blood and cardio moves both. And yet every time it gets mentioned the response is "my teacher told me to ignore breathing" or "working with the breath isn't natural" or some other such nonsense. I'm happy to see the Japs kick Chinese ass. The Chinese need many swift kicks in the ass to wake them up.

The Japanese don't have many of the higher level trainings but they make up for it with really hard conditioning and a superior mindset that leads to its own high level. Looks like Tang dynasty culture knew what it was doing.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:57 am

wayne hansen wrote:Cameron Quin who translated Oyamas book and is married to his daughter let me kindly use his Dojo to teach
He took me over to some photos on the wall
Showing me three guys sitting together
He said these are the three best fighters we have and they all do Hsing I
I think what he was talking about was Takkai Ken or I Chuan

It's not the 1970's any more. XYQ these days is as bad as Yang style taiji and getting worse by the day. We no longer produce hard men and even the XYQ concepts have been re-interpreted to preclude that ever happening again.

Fighting Black Kings should be required viewing and we need to bring back that kind of training.
Last edited by Formosa Neijia on Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:13 am

It was not the 70’s I was told this but the 90’s or later
Cameron was the main ref in full contact MMA
He also had wrestling bjj and judo classes at his gym
Nathan Canage Corbett was a regular at the gym at that time
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Video Links