Meeting with Power -Yang Sau Cheung

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Meeting with Power -Yang Sau Cheung

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:16 am

Oh just the usual "I met the master and he had supernatural powers and this form is the way to achieve them"

He doesn't really say anything about learning to reproduce those results, just that he experienced them and noticed they did their form differently. He didn't claim to spend any significant time with them either.

So, yeah, skeptical if I hold my hand a certain way I can take away your ability to speak. That usually takes me a good 20 minutes, some rope, and an assortment of whips and paddles.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:22 am

absolutely.. right to be sceptical.

as I come across these kind of things re. good, actionable info, I'll give a heads up

he does mention certain things he intends to go through; 'points' for form, the pushing, the internal aspects (if I recall correctly).
as i work through the channel etc, I will get a better handle on the meat and potatoes of it.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:24 am

How do you understand, talk about, cultivate, and use Shen in your practice?

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... bbdf381c23

A whole post on what was discussed and apparently demonstrated in his meeting.

One would expect this aspect to be highly developed not necessarily tied to any one style or method.

Any questions one might contact him directly.
the email is listed.

Seems very open and will respond.... :)
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:52 am

windwalker wrote:
How do you understand, talk about, cultivate, and use Shen in your practice?

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... bbdf381c23

A whole post on what was discussed and apparently demonstrated in his meeting.

One would expect this aspect to be highly developed not necessarily tied to any one style or method.

Any questions one might contact him directly.
the email is listed.

Seems very open and will respond.... :)

Well, you may have noticed a lot of words and precious little info in those pages. :D

As I mentioned I joined his Facebook group and will have plenty of questions. :D
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:44 am

I planned to just say that I had a look at more videos, and that I found very little of practical value and even that stuff is pretty vague.

But then Tom showed up to save the day. Sort of... :o

Interesting... Very interesting...

Just had to dig up this from ol' trusty Wayback Machine ;D
https://web.archive.org/web/20150116053 ... guen-cult/
Last edited by Bao on Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:45 am

cloudz wrote:I need a bit of a re fresh as I've been doing a kind of hybrid chen pan ling/ wu style for what feels like long enough now. And quite fancy returning to the Yang style ,which also has a tie in. In that the form came from Taiwan through He Jing Han better known for his Bagua via Alex Kozma, this was before the days the YSC form video was made public. There was a bit of a disconnect in those days in regards the family kind of standard and HJH was as I recall part of that Taiwan movement to have this film released - in itself a controversial thing at the time. The form itself caused a bit of a stir back then too.

The kind of way HJH did Yang was closer to YSC's style than the official or typical family standard at the time. So anyway, his idea of using YSC form as a standard and to get the kind of corrections this mans experience may serve up is too appealing right now for me to pass up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC He Jing-han's taiji comes from Xiong Yang-he, not YSC. Wang Zi-he was the one that released the video of YSC. Xiong's style is certainly "old Yang" in that it isn't done like the "official line" and you can find multiple clips of all the material on youtube for comparison purposes.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby co-lee on Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:53 am

I never met any of the big names who studied with YSC but I have met a lot of folks who studied with those big names. Who all had good skills even if nothing world shattering. There are some tjq teachers who seem to produce students who are a little "off", emotionally unbalanced may be too strong a description, but definitely a little off. I wonder if it's a side effect of some of the practices or just some weird self-selection?

Anyway the one guy who I spent some real time with was Don Ahn. He died ten years ago or so. From Korea, lived in Hong Kong where he'd studied with YSC and then moved to NYC where he studied with Cheng Manching. A whole pile of various practices although we just pushed hands and did some fencing. He told me multiple times that what YSC and CMC taught was "exactly the same". Which was surprising cause it seems really different on first encounter.

We did some of the "dynamic push hands" together. Which was also interesting but not something I've kept in my practice. The release and issues seemed to be basically the same kind of rebound-driven use of root that a number of CMC folks use. We didn't do any of the no-touch magic pushing.

Anyway, I liked Don. Kinda quirky but always fun to spend some time with him when I was in NYC. I was sorry to hear of him passing.
co-lee
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:52 pm

If anyone here finds useful stuff in his vids I hope they point them out
Gone through a few and it’s a bit of a hard slog
Origami the critique you make of him could equally apply to Adam who you praise
Toms stuff is interesting
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:16 pm

wayne hansen wrote:If anyone here finds useful stuff in his vids I hope they point them out

one can only find according to their level...

What may be interesting for some, may not be for others...

Found some of his accounting to match my own....
concerning others when they first met with my teacher long ago.

Always kinda of interesting, fun watching..
Most had practice other CMA for a long time before meeting him
The local people understanding that they can be fooled , or tricked kind of a part of the culture are by nature very skeptical of such things.

Wasn't a matter of brainwashed, teacher worship or whatever :P

Took awhile before either they left or gave up, and just
practiced gaining some skill according to the level of their ability
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:37 pm

wayne hansen wrote:If anyone here finds useful stuff in his vids I hope they point them out

It's been a while since you've caught me singing his praises, hasn't it? I've explained his curriculum a bit...
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:23 pm

So have you changed your opinion or do your previous comments still stand
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:32 pm

wayne hansen wrote:So have you changed your opinion or do your previous comments still stand

You'd have to be more specific about what you're asking me.
I found his course to be very detailed and helpful. Others may not get as much out of the material.
Last edited by origami_itto on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:48 pm

I don't understand much of what was said in the video.

However I was put off by the insinuation that the Yang family only teaches for large sums of money and even then they hold back quite a bit -- as I have not found this to be the case at all.

I also find it strange that one form should be more correct than another in an appreciable way given the amount of work you need to put in to get to the next stage. For example? What about Sun style? Is it not good enough because it's not an original or 'old' Yang form? And yet, everyone practices push hands in the same way.

I can guarantee you one thing -- if you have a deeply flawed form that is only 50% good... if you have a broken qigong system that is only 50% correct.. but you are honest and work hard, twice as hard as others, the 50% can become 100%. It is in fact possible to figure it out on your own, like the old masters did, if you put in the right practice and have the right attitude.

This is one of the true secrets. You are going to succeed. You are going to get the skills. You are going to be a master. The question is, if you are going to do so in your own lifetime or not. Sometimes a student is a martial arts genius and he can figure things out on his own. Other times this is not enough and there is not enough time to figure out certain things. For this, the student must be fed information and skills (i.e. taught).

If you are honest about putting in the hard work to do justice to what you have already been taught, and you still have not made progress after many months or years, then look for another teacher. If you are desperate ask me and I'll try to make a recommendation. It's not hard to find a good school and make progress so long as you have the right attitude. Just honest and work hard, have martial morality, chong shang wu de, and it will come to you.
Last edited by Appledog on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:10 pm

tried to listen to ep. 1-3. seems like his main points are:
- eldest son of YCF got "the stuff" but didn't have to teach "public form"
- he had extremely brief sessions with him, but it left an impression
- he thinks it's this "static pushing" that is key and missing elsewhere.

if that's basically it, sure, seems logical and relatable in ep 2. doesn't sound like anything new.

delivery: very dry, yet infomercial style over the top phrasing: "secrets revealed", "transformational", etc. no thanks on anything infomercial-ish.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:36 pm

Appledog wrote:If you are desperate ask me and I'll try to make a recommendation.

Would your recommendations include introductions to the teachers in the elite Secret Council of Masters whom you referred to recently? Asking for a friend.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links