Yiu Kwong; Great Yang tui shou.. any info

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Yiu Kwong; Great Yang tui shou.. any info

Postby cloudz on Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:16 am

Hi, someone showed me this great clip yesterday. Don't think I have come across him before. Hong Kong I think, would be great to know who he learned from (YCF?) and more about him. an attempted search didn't bring up anything. Is there a better example ? I thought it was that good.. the moment at around 4.30 is worth waiting for. Found this a joy to watch, what a great old bit of film, thank you to who ever put it out there.

Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Re: Yiu Kwong; Great Yang tui shou.. any info

Postby marvin8 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:58 am

cloudz wrote:Hi, someone showed me this great clip yesterday. Don't think I have come across him before. Hong Kong I think, would be great to know who he learned from (YCF?) and more about him. an attempted search didn't bring up anything. Is there a better example ? I thought it was that good.. the moment at around 4.30 is worth waiting for. Found this a joy to watch, what a great old bit of film, thank you to who ever put it out there.

Per google:

"Video about the Yang TJQ Two-person exercises?"

oldyangtaiji wrote:Lai Hok Soon was a student of Yang Sau Chung (not of Yang Cheng Fu ;) )! His student Yiu Kwong wrote a book "Tui Shou & San Shou in T'ai Chi Ch'uan" where is described a Two-person set similar to the 88-posture San Shou of Yearning Kung Chen and the Large San Sau of Erle Montaigue. So, as I understand this form originate from Yang Shao Hou or Yang Jian Hou.

Excerpt from an article "Yiu Kwong: 'Steel Wrapped in Cotton:'"

Marvin Smalheiser wrote:Yiu is the author of two books in English. They are "Research into the Techniques and
Reasoning of Tai Chi Chuan," and "Push Hands and Two-Man Sparring in Tai Chi Chuan."

Yiu, like his teacher, started learning Tai Chi Chuan when he was 12 years old, first the
Chen style and later the Wu, Sun and Yang styles. He now only teaches the Yang style,
which he has studied the longest. He said he feels the Yang style is the best.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:04 pm

The history here is correct
My student Lynda Blayney a international fashion model would train with Yui when in HK
The straight sword I practice comes from him
He sent me the film above plus ones to go with his two books
He also sent me straight sword and broadsword films
He taught much like Wu style teaching a square then a circular form
On YouTube there is a lot of stuff by his students with some good pushing
There is also student doing his straight sword san shou set
I had film of him doing the san shou 4 times A&B with two different partners
There was some great pushing on loose gravel his partners instead of hip hop would dig there feet in and be projected back with dust flying in the air all the way back
He is the real deal
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:11 pm

wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:27 pm

cloudz wrote:I thought it was that good.. the moment at around 4.30 is worth waiting for.

Agree that it's good mechanics—pull/push, pull/counter, swallow/"connect power." :)

Practice:

Anthony Yap
Feb 25, 2022

Correction: wrongly type Chinese word 接 become 借 , the whole meaning “borrowing the power from earth” is wrong . Correct meaning is :" connect power from earth". Apologize!
更正:打错汉字"接"变成"借",所以"借地之力"是错误的。正确的是:“接地之力”。道歉!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUJWzqYecA

Anthony Yap
Mar 5, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAjptoH6KRE
marvin8
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:35 pm

Yiu Kwong is fairly well known in Yang style taichi circles here in HK, produced several senior students with good push hands skills, and they also preserved the Sanshou set and spear-work, IIRC there is still a quite big group continuing this branch out in the New Territories (Yuen Long area).

Just one point about the lineage and the confusion between YCF / Yang Sau Chung: Yiu's teacher Lai Hok Soon was officially a student under YCF at the end of his life when he was teaching in Guangzhou, but in reality those classes were actually taught by Yang Sau Chung, so this is another one of those cases where the 'official' lineage and what actually happened are quite different. Incidentally Lai was also the first teacher of Gin Soon Chu, who went on to study directly with YSC and then move to the US.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:39 pm

I never knew he had spear
Would love to see some to see if it is the same ones I learnt
I had two people who trained with YCF tell me the same story of being classified as YSC students they weren’t happy years later
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:52 am

Thank you guys, great info - was assuming it had to be either YCF or YSC..
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:46 am

cloudz wrote:

Yes, really nice !
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Return to Video Links