Basic 1-2 Entry with Piercing Palm in Bagua Kuntao Silat

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Basic 1-2 Entry with Piercing Palm in Bagua Kuntao Silat

Postby marvin8 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:12 pm

Pops Sigung
Dec 16, 2021

This short class highlight video provides needed instruction on the basics of application for Piercing Palm when being used as an entry to close with the attacker. Here you can see the occupation of centerline being exploited when moving into the opponent with deceptive and slightly circular footwork to engager the lower body of the attacker without their knowledge. The "1-2" or more striking pattern of Piercing Palm combination attacks crashes through to the attacker targeting the soft areas and deflects the opponents limbs on the way to the target. This is only possible due to Bagua Kuntao Silat's usage of internal movement from the ground up to the fingertips of the practitioner.

The additional range provided by Piercing Palm also allows self defense applications which would not otherwise be possible. The Bagua Kuntao Silat practitioner can launch counter attacks sooner with the appropriate supplemental footwork to avoid being struck or grabbed in a meaningful way when properly employed. Although this video shows how simple the proper application of the most basic 1-2 usage of Piercing Palm, it must be reiterated that internal mechanics with linked structure, usage of center, root, good joint rotation and energy flow is necessary with the understanding of relationship and distance of the attacker when defending properly with the basic application. However, this is a foundational application which provides many kinesiologic reference points to be used to build upon for later more complex applications in Bagua Kuntao Silat.

This 1-2 combination has more advanced uses due to the change in footwork, desired conclusion(s), level and height of targets and bodyweight commitment, but it all starts with what is shown in this video. Anyone can see the usage in sparring or an unavoidable fight. Self defense commitments are even easier to apply. I hope you enjoy the offering!

Please consider becoming a free member of the website for discussion, other videos, updates, merchandise and more here: https://www.popssigung.com

Bagua Kuntao Silat is kung fu that works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX8Vi302e-A

Pops Sigung
Nov 23, 2021

This video demonstrates some teaching in Basic Piercing Palm to a first day student. Here, the student is learning how to move in a coordinated fashion first and create structure for effective self defense techniques in the Bagua Kuntao Silat martial arts system with Piercing Palm. You'll note how important relaxed movement is, and how quick the technique is even with a first day student as he is learning how to perform the movement properly. The video is slowed down to one-quarter speed and the strike, or arm/body extension still appears fairly speedy from an untrained person even when the movement is known to be on its way. This is one of the attributes of Piercing Palm. Due to the full body movement, the other attribute and often referred to the hidden attribute, is force-- force that is multiplied by body leverage, internal movement, mass usage and a small contact area. Basic applicable targets are briefly discussed in the video as well.

Piercing Palm is often used as an upper body bridging technique, and that application usage can be seen here while closing the distance with an opponent or attacker. The straight line motion supported by the momentum and structure of the practitioner makes contact with far greater force than is apparent often crashing through, dislodging the attack or pushing it off course, and sometimes even unbalancing the attacker. Due to swift follow-ups of a Bagua Kuntao Silat practitioner, the attacker will often find themselves on the ground in uncomfortable positions immediately thereafter.

Knowledge of positioning is also a must relative to your opponent, and that includes while both are moving, as a Bagua Kuntao Silat practitioner should be moving upper and lower body at all times once the defense begins. Of course, this requires highly developed footwork and many hours of practice to ensure that full power strikes can be delivered without stopping as the practitioner moves through and around the opponent as necessary for the desired result during an defensive encounter or physical altercation.

The use of proper breath techniques are also discussed along with targeting, footwork, sapu usage, full body power, combinations, basic tactics and even some strategy involving a fighting opponent or attacker in a self defense situation along with the defensive value of offensive movements. All on the first day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICVrpWnOMc

Pops Sigung
Nov 29, 2021

I hope you're enjoying the Part 2 of the two part series on class instruction of Basic Piercing Palm. This video goes into more depth on Basic Piercing Palm practice and is a continuation of the previous video. Emphasis is being placed on weight transference and moving the center while maintaining relaxation and structure to enter with Piercing Palm. Proper body control allows effortless crashing through the opponent's extended arm attacks, and maintaining control of the center with strong rooting allows crashing through the opponent's lower body for quick throws, stomps or kicks as needed.

Here Piercing Palm is being used and instructed at a level to bridge the distance between fighters or sparring partners. As Piercing Palm is the longest upper body movement in Bagua Kuntao Silat, it is frequently used to engage the attacker's limbs, and Bridge Hands sensitivity training as shown in my other videos will pay off many times over. Body shifting and "Stealing Step" is also addressed with Fundamental Stepping motions utilized constantly throughout the training.

The self defense aspects are easily seen, but this training in itself is laying the foundation for advanced movement and applications of Piercing Palm. Until the movements and applications shown in the video are truly mastered, forward progress is greatly reduced.

It can also be seen that the student is resistant to all takedowns and sweeps while being an experienced martial artis in other systems (MMA), however Pops Sigung must "pull" the techniques, or not allow the applications to end completely while moving very slowly or the student will be thrown. Even with gentle and slow movements and deliberately avoiding completion of the movement, the opponent can be sent to the ground.

This is merely scratching the surface of Bagua Kuntao Silat. Please continue to watch more for further instruction and greater exposition of the type of movement and martial system being shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faws5L0YwuQ
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Basic 1-2 Entry with Piercing Palm in Bagua Kuntao Silat

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:35 pm

Personally, I think I'd enjoy watching video clips of him playing Santa Claus more.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:23 am

With all due respect for Pops, I see very little in these videos that resembles the Sun Style Bagua that I practice and teach.

Additionally, Bagua and Silat are two separate and unrelated styles from two different countries of origin, making that an unlikely combination, sort of like Shotokan Tai Chi Chuan or Praying Mantis Tae Kwon Do, i.e. TCC taught by karate instructors or kungfu taught by taekwondo instructors.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:38 am

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe this private lesson with Marcus Brinkman is better.

NexusJunisBlue
Dec 16, 2019

My private lesson with Marcus Brinkman, student of Luo Dexiu, who was in turn himself a student of Hong Yixiang, under the Yizongmen system of internal Chinese martial arts.

Taken at the National Taipei University of the Arts on December 16th, 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgwN4x4ydXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-1VAeUkpuE
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:51 pm

Anything from Marcus Brinkman is definitely of much higher quality, both physically and energetically, and light years ahead of anything shown in the OP video.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:10 am

Well, I have heard that Willem de Thouars' Kunao Silat system contains some elements of Bagua that he's picked up along his career, but what Pops has shown here is a pretty deplorable representation of both arts.

It is pretty obvious that he is simply moving around and doing techniques like an average joe with about 3 weeks of training.

Gotta love the slow-mo! ::)

P.S. Using sigung as an online name is annoyingly wrong as well. I guess he thinks it simply means "grandmaster," but when in fact you are only supposed to address your own teacher's teacher as sigung (師公) -- and no one else.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:39 am

C.J.W. wrote:Well, I have heard that Willem de Thouars' Kunao Silat system contains some elements of Bagua that he's picked up along his career, but what Pops has shown here is a pretty deplorable representation of both arts.

It is pretty obvious that he is simply moving around and doing techniques like an average joe with about 3 weeks of training.

Gotta love the slow-mo! ::)

P.S. Using sigung as an online name is annoyingly wrong as well. I guess he thinks it simply means "grandmaster," but when in fact you are only supposed to address your own teacher's teacher as sigung (師公) -- and no one else.

I don't know silat, I only know a tiny bit of bagua, and I have never met that man in my life.

He does not move well.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links