Kung Fu Debunked Ep13 Do you know enough to spot a LIE?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Kung Fu Debunked Ep13 Do you know enough to spot a LIE?

Postby marvin8 on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:50 pm

Hai Yang responded to Guan's video dated 10/21, about his elbow. Guan covers Yang's response and classic text in more detail.

TriEssence Martial Arts
Mar 18, 2022

In this new ep of Kung Fu Debunked, I will return to the "Elbo drama", respond to the response video and settle this argument once and for all. In part 1 we will take a look at how certain individual is misrepresenting the Xingyi classic text, and what does the text actually say, and ultimately do you even know enough to tell if someone is lying to you?

As always constructive comments are welcome and feel free to contact me for class details in Gauteng South Africa atm, and in NSW AU in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKnGkK1USx4

TriEssence Martial Arts
Mar 18, 2022

In this new ep of Kung Fu Debunked, I will return to the "Elbo drama", respond to the response video and settle this argument once and for all. In part 2 we will take a look at how certain individual is misinterpreting the Xingyi classic text, how viable or the lack of is the claim of it being a protective stance, and what does the text actually say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3MdBHqZo3g

TriEssence Martial Arts
Mar 18, 2022

In this new ep of Kung Fu Debunked, I will return to the "Elbo drama", respond to the response video and settle this argument once and for all. In part 3 we will take a look at a certain incident that took place many years ago, and what does that say about a certain individual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8iQdhoLZ8
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Kung Fu Debunked Ep13 Do you know enough to spot a LIE?

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:05 am

You should not give this clown air time, he is a troll.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:15 am

Dai Zhi Qiang wrote:You should not give this clown air time, he is a troll.

Please clarify who you are referring to as a clown and a troll. Thank you.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

wushutiger/FormosaNeijia kefluffle

Postby Formosa Neijia on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:53 am

Doc Stier wrote:

He's referring to the TriEssence clown that keeps posting this crap. He doesn't even do xingyi but he's extremely self-important so he thinks his opinion is worth more than used toilet paper and it isn't. And TriEssence is really just tool being used by a certain xingyi "Bryan" from Beijing that is jealous of Hai Yang and has his panties in a bunch because he wants to be the xingyi police. People actually want to watch Hai Yang's clips instead of "part 17.5 of a xingyi lecture no one cares about" when he spams his crap all over Facebook.
Last edited by Formosa Neijia on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:10 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:He's referring to the TriEssence clown that keeps posting this crap. He doesn't even do xingyi but he's extremely self-important so he thinks his opinion is worth more than used toilet paper and it isn't.

The funny thing is that there's a part where that Guan guy tries to mimic Yang Hai's power generation and there you can really see the difference. Here, Guan really shows very little control over his own movements which is quite revealing.

I liked some of his history series, but he has too little experience of the styles he tries to demonstrate and "debunk".

And TriEssence is really just tool being used by a certain xingyi "Bryan" from Beijing that is jealous of Hai Yang and has his panties in a bunch because he wants to be the xingyi police.

Interesting...
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:39 am

I’m not always convinced by Hai Yangs demos but I love what he says
I don’t even bother to watch Tri essence
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:12 am

Bao wrote:The funny thing is that there's a part where that Guan guy tries to mimic Yang Hai's power generation and there you can really see the difference. Here, Guan really shows very little control over his own movements which is quite revealing. I liked some of his history series, but he has too little experience of the styles he tries to demonstrate and "debunk".

TriEssence made a follow-up video also criticizing Hai Yang and then he tried to show a "correct punch" pic below. Notice his elbow is out!
If you post this on the FB xingyi group, you get banned. So you're right, he himself doesn't have good control of his own movements but you better not point that out.

Bao wrote:
And TriEssence is really just tool being used by a certain xingyi "Bryan" from Beijing that is jealous of Hai Yang and has his panties in a bunch because he wants to be the xingyi police.

Interesting...

For the record:

Some of these comments may have been deleted. Always get screenshots! Is "Beijing Byron" using TriEssence as a cat's paw to attack Hai Yang? I'll let you draw your own conclusions based on TriEssence's own comments.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:54 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:TriEssence made a follow-up video also criticizing Hai Yang and then he tried to show a "correct punch" pic below. Notice his elbow is out!

Do I know enough to spot a lie? Well, maybe and maybe not, but I think I know enough to spot incompetence. In part 2 he claims that entering and exiting the cave is analogous to punching through a small hole suspended in in mid-air. That one was a little stunning. I thought it referred to something about bears.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:28 pm

Doc Stier wrote:

The Triessence guy, I dont understand how anyone can even watch his content, it is a steaming pile of shit.

DZQ
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:49 pm

Dai Zhi Qiang wrote:The Triessence guy, I dont understand how anyone can even watch his content, it is a steaming pile of shit.

DZQ

Agreed, and his videos are too lengthy as well, essentially taking half an hour to repeatedly say what he stated in the first five minutes.

As usual, anyone can pretend to be an expert online, but live and in person, not so much. ::)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wushutiger on Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:26 am

Dave, stop spreading lies, its frankly childish and ridiculous now. There is a vast difference between disagreeing with technical aspects and attacking someone. TriEssence is an independent adult with his own mind who has done this in the past to other teachers etc online. If you live in a world of conspiracy theories then you will automatically think the way you do. Its quite sad actually.
Last edited by wushutiger on Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:51 am

So “Dave” is a fake identity?

The plot thickens….
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:23 am

GrahamB wrote:So “Dave” is a fake identity?

The plot thickens….

I don't know. However, here is a FB xingyi group discussing that video.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:40 am

wushutiger wrote:Dave, stop spreading lies, its frankly childish and ridiculous now. .. If you live in a world of conspiracy theories then you will automatically think the way you do.

The comments are above for anyone to read. People can draw their own conclusions.

The problem with the whole thing was when Byron and TriEssense said that anyone who does xingyi (including the animals) and BGZ with the elbows out in forward-facing techniques has no idea what they are doing. The idea was/is absurd.
WHEN YOU'VE DONE THE HIGHER MATERIAL AND/OR BGZ AND TJQ THEN HOW YOU PRACTICE AND PERFORM THE ELEMENTS CAN CHANGE!
But their critique didn't just stick to just the five elements.
Notice TriEssense specifically mentioned BGZ and says the animals DO NOT have elbows out. Having the elbows out EVER is supposedly against the xingyi classics, according to TriEssense and Byron. This is beyond retarded.
Notice the "deliberately misleading manner" comment. So if we have the elbows out ever, we are deliberately lying to people. You're talking out your ass.
Again, the animals and higher forms have numerous instances of the elbows being out in xingyi and straightline BGZ including Byron's own Liang zhen-pu style has lots of them.
Notice anything about the right elbow?
As for xingyi, numerous forward moves have the elbows out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-7u_S4cvEo

TriEssense has now made at least 6 videos attacking Hai Yang on this elbow thing and it was used to attack all of us that EVER stick our elbows out for any reason in IMA. Doc Stier likes to ask why respond to this stuff if it doesn't effect your personal practice but if you ever plan to teach and your lineage (like mine) teaches that elbows out are ok on many moves then you must defend your position or watch what you were taught and practice get trashed. I'm not going to let that happen.
Last edited by Formosa Neijia on Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:42 am

It's true that the rogue opinions of guys like TriEssence don't affect my personal training regimen, or the results of my training, in any way whatsoever. I am guided by the well organized system I was taught, and the ongoing direction of my own teacher. I think this is probably true for anyone who has dedicated themselves to longterm practice in any style or system.

Nonetheless, that said, the opinions of someone who doesn't really even understand the subject matter are both pathetic and laughable at best. The whole elbow issue raised in those videos by TriEssence is a classic case in point.

When looking at the variety of form postures in any martial art, it is abundantly clear that the elbows cannot remain close to the ribcage at all times, nor should they do so. It would be impossible to effectively meet upper level attacks to the head and neck, or to counterattack these targets, with the elbows always stuck close to the ribcage.

Of much more relevant importance, imo, is to relax and release all muscular tightness and associated joint tension of the upper body in order to allow the elbows to be 'bottom heavy' in every posture, but without heavy pressure in the armpits, regardless of the structural position of the elbows. -shrug-
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links