Ben Lo 37 step

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Ben Lo 37 step

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:09 pm

Practiced with him, and his group informally many yrs ago...
Very nice, funny and kind man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8pCHvGVNf0
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: Ben Lo 37 step

Postby everything on Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:43 pm

trained at his "tai chi camps" as a kid after my dad attended. people asked him how he developed his skill. he said it was "bend low" ("Ben Lo"), form, and standing. that made no sense to me at the time. I could play soccer or tennis all day. couldn't do those low postures.
Last edited by everything on Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Giles on Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:21 am

I think the deep folding in his kua, and the turning of the body that results from this, is excellent! Inspiring for me to loosen and turn even more, to ind those extra fractions of an inch.

I'm less enthusiastic about the way he sometimes leans back some way behind his vertical axis (i.e. plumb line of the spine). Or at least I'm puzzled by this. Often he doesn't do this, but when he does it can be seen quite clearly. To my mind this is problematic for several reasons.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:48 am

for those having reached an understanding and ability of inner and outer alignment.
There is no point in what they do where they are not aligned.

For some it may be confusing until they reached this point, focusing only on the outer alignments.

Beginning level students have to be very strict in their practice allowing them to achieve the real thing...

Ben, as he asked to be called...was quite skilled able to do things physical that were very puzzling .

We had some discussions about "kong jin", this before meeting my last taiji teacher in Beijing...
Ben, surprisingly enough, wasn't a fan and questioned it....and yet still talked about "Qi" ;D
the theory used allowing for "it" making possible a way to understand the theory that "kong jin" is based on...

Good teacher, and friend....
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:44 pm

My friends who have trained with him have interesting stories.
Probably the best player I know in Austin, Mark Thompson, went to many of his workshops over the years and spoke very highly of him.

Like most folks that have been training a while, he's got a great root, though usually he's not apt to let you feel it when playing.
I guess he was showing somebody his rooting by having them push on his chest and he was absorbing a lot of power.

Ben Lo came up and said he wanted to show him something and he said that he put his finger out and it looked like bugs were crawling up his arm towards the finger, and then he lightly touched his chest and he said it felt like a wind just blew him away out of his stance.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:11 pm

Felt like a wave just casually moved me, but I couldn’t feel water or pressure. Looking back, I think he moved us gently, kindly, laughing.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Video Links