Mark Rasmus--Learn How to Mobilise the Chi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Mark Rasmus--Learn How to Mobilise the Chi

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:40 am

robert wrote:氣宜鼓盪 (qi yi gu dang) - qi should drum move/shake. I would translate it as move qi like drumming or qi should move like a drum. FWIW.

is that the way "you" feel it :-\

Accords with what I've felt... :)
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:22 am

windwalker wrote:is this the way "you" feel it :-\

Yes. It also accords with a type of correction I got when I was first learning Chen taiji - you could say the instructor was tuning the drum head.

Steve Higgins took notes at a YZD seminar and the comments line up with this image as well.

Commenting on a YZD seminar -

What astonished me was the size of the frame he taught. It was much more stretched out than anything I had experienced previously. Above you can see him expanding my 'Ward Left' posture!

YZD -
Do not apply brute force. Brute force is stiff force. Force must be refined and skillful like a steel needle hidden in cotton. The strength is there, but not presented openly. It is implied in posture. There must be a quality of vibrancy, as opposed to listlessness.

This involves stretching out; the motion opens out. The secret is seen in the palm which is stretched out with the fingers bent but slightly open. The palm is both stretched and at the same time, relaxed. Beginners are usually either too relaxed or too stiff. This influences strength through the whole arm.

The idea of being both stretched and at the same time, relaxed conveys the idea of tuning a drumhead. My experience.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:46 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Like you wife, I've always been able to generate these magnetic fluidity feelings very quickly. My experience of Tai Chi groups in the UK is that these experiences are what 90% of the conversation is around when it comes to Qi Gong...When I met my Tai Chi teacher I'd try and talk to him about magnetic feelings and he didn't really seem that interested. More of a "yeah that happens, so what...?" type of attitude. That fits in with what you've written above. i.e. it's not that big a deal, more like a side effect, and there are other much more important things.

Then like my wife, you probably have lots of pre-heaven/pre-birth qi, although correct practice of many styles can lead to it over time. Some people are born with great health and others have less. My wife did pistol squats the first time I showed them to her and at the age of 50, she's 5lbs more than she weighed when she graduated high school. Really, some people have all the luck. :'(

Some of this rings true - I used to be able to do pistol squats without any prep. Can't do it now I'm 50, but then again, I think your wife probably has a better diet and looks after herself better than me :)

What Gillman and probably Rasmus is doing is taking those feelings and then making a system out of them. You can extend those feelings, make them a lot stronger, and use them in different ways. i actually think some people are too quick to dismiss the wind qigong work and others make way too much out of it. It can be good to work with it as long as you don't lose sight of other things, which a lot of people make the mistake of doing.
Unfortunately like a lot of the other pre-heaven qigong this is kind of a hit-or-miss thing. The teacher that taught me this stuff told me that about 30-40% of people won't get it and it will lead to frustration. This is why post-heaven/post-birth qigong (muscle change classic, eight brocades, etc.) is so important because that should work for everyone whether they have feelings or not.

I liked your point before that being able to play with this magnetic feeling/wind qi doesn't really equate to generating power in Tai Chi - I think that's very true.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:54 am

robert wrote:
windwalker wrote:is this the way "you" feel it :-\

Yes. It also accords with a type of correction I got when I was first learning Chen taiji - you could say the instructor was tuning the drum head.

Steve Higgins took notes at a YZD seminar and the comments line up with this image as well.

Commenting on a YZD seminar -

What astonished me was the size of the frame he taught. It was much more stretched out than anything I had experienced previously. Above you can see him expanding my 'Ward Left' posture!

YZD -
Do not apply brute force. Brute force is stiff force. Force must be refined and skillful like a steel needle hidden in cotton. The strength is there, but not presented openly. It is implied in posture. There must be a quality of vibrancy, as opposed to listlessness.

This involves stretching out; the motion opens out. The secret is seen in the palm which is stretched out with the fingers bent but slightly open. The palm is both stretched and at the same time, relaxed. Beginners are usually either too relaxed or too stiff. This influences strength through the whole arm.

The idea of being both stretched and at the same time, relaxed conveys the idea of tuning a drumhead. My experience.

you do know it’s in reference to the another teachers teachings .
Not chen, nor YZD .

汪永泉授楊式太極拳語錄及拳照
Wang Yongquan Writings on Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan
Translated by Richard Man,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IMA.LiteraryTradition

“ Master Youngqans taiji, and theory of taiji has many unique insights that set it apart from other taiji styles.”

In this context, what you mentioned doesn’t accord with this line of taiji
the translation is part of.

As as to usefulness, kind of depends on the level of one’s practice as to meaning derived from it.
For me what was translated, accord’s with me

For you, maybe not.

Could always email The translator and let him know .
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:04 pm

With regards to Hermetics
I have nothing against it and know really little about it
The first person I heard use the term was Patrick Kelly
The one thing I see is it is used as a layer over Huangs tai chi
The one thing I like in Huangs tai chi is its simplicity
5 exercises plus form
The 5 being part of the form
Ever wonder why Huangs form starts in a squat ,no rising no sinking
That has all been done in the 5 the form is just a continuation
The only students of Huangs who have any skill don’t confuse themselves with over layering other theories
Just form and relaxed pushing
I think Hermatics is just a misdirection(look over there)
Marks size and set ups give him an advantage over those who seem to buy into his subdefuge
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:29 pm

windwalker wrote:you do know it’s in reference to the another teachers teachings .
Not chen, nor YZD .

The phrase 神气鼓荡 (shen qi gu dang) - lively qi drumming move/shake is used in Chen style taijiquan. I would translate it as move qi like lively drumming or qi should move like lively drumming. The concept that I've been shown is applicable to the family styles of taijiquan. If your idea of drumming the qi is different that's fine.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:38 pm

robert wrote:
windwalker wrote:you do know it’s in reference to the another teachers teachings .
Not chen, nor YZD .

The phrase 神气鼓荡 (shen qi gu dang) - lively qi drumming move/shake is used in Chen style taijiquan. I would translate it as move qi like lively drumming or qi should move like lively drumming. The concept that I've been shown is applicable to the family styles of taijiquan. If your idea of drumming the qi is different that's fine.

You seem confused

It’s a translation.
You don’t agree with the way this translator translated it

I don’t have any problems with it,
I’m sure others don’t.

I would say it’s not applicable to all family styles, in the same
way in which it was used in the translation.
Which I never had a problem with

If you do, you could always email Richerd, met him a while back he’s pretty nice guy.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:00 pm

windwalker wrote:You seem confused

That's entirely possible.
robert
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links