The Power of Chi The Movie

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

The Power of Chi The Movie

Postby Bao on Fri May 13, 2022 8:07 am

Well, I can't complain about the production value...

Power Of Chi The Movie With Morgan Freeman
"The Secret Power Of Chi As demonstrated in the full length Feature Film The Power of Chi The Movie by the greatest Chi Experts in the World, Famous Athletes and Narrated by Morgan Freeman"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4YV8meynKc
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: The Power of Chi The Movie

Postby windwalker on Fri May 13, 2022 8:31 am

nice clip,,, :)
Last edited by windwalker on Fri May 13, 2022 9:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 13, 2022 9:24 am

Blimey. Everyone will want to do Tai Chi now, brace yourselves... - lol.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri May 13, 2022 1:26 pm

What the big guy says.

Can’t explain.

But everything is better narrated by Morgan Freeman.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 pm

I had hoped this was a deep fake, but it seems to be legit (never thought I would use that in the same sentence as Mitzner) someone has some deep pockets to bankroll this, Morgan Freeman, can't come cheap, unless he is initiated into the cult of Chi.

I am not buying into it for 2 seconds, it will not change my mind about what is going on in his group or validify what he teaches.

DZQ
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri May 13, 2022 8:18 pm

Here's the MIz lying down and using his qi to push pansies away from him: https://www.facebook.com/powerofchithem ... 101142375/
Social media is driving this nonsense. It's the new veganism. These people are masters at internet marketing and Fakebook, etc. reward and promote them and their followers. That means there is money behind this. They are being sponsored to make this kind of fakery. It's disgusting.
Last edited by Formosa Neijia on Fri May 13, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat May 14, 2022 3:57 am

How bad an actor is the last guy
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Sat May 14, 2022 4:25 am

Animal trainer on set: the dog looks at his caller to make sure hes doing the right thing. That's not necessarily a bad thing -- the whole thing is staged in order to make Miz look friendly and cool despite having an 'arm of death'. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not sure why I should complain nor about what per se because it is all very entertaining. Mizner will act as the old masters did and never take a public challenge, but one or two stories will come up to serve his mystique; and his students certainly will be available as time goes by.

I'm actually wondering where all this will lead. Those of you watching, take careful note, the pattern being expressed is exactly the same as the semifamous masters of old; it's just now that it is on television it seems different than before. He's just doing exactly what his teacher did and his teacher before him. I don't think there's anything really wrong with that. Magical skills, a jolly attitude, never lost a challenge, posessors of some kind of freedom/tao/'real' skill that makes them somehow untouchable; leaps ahead of even other tai chi masters. Speaking in riddles? Maybe. Certainly there is no clear-cut shared conceptual vocabulary being presented. But it's all good, some people gravitate to this kind of stuff and that inflates our numbers.. and there is strength in numbers.. How many of us switched schools or teachers early on.. This is a good thing my friends.. How many of us understood exactly what we were getting ourselves into when we walked into the door of the tai chi dojo for the first time.. And so the circle of life will complete, look upon Mizner as the hero we needed but didn't deserve. That could go both ways. But in the end he will be written down as a hero, even if only for causing a revival in the art.

Now is our chance, you see? Smell the money. Even the BJJ people are claiming they do push hands now. NOW is the time! Capitalize on this, push out the real tai chi! We can do it!

Rules:
1. Casually drop Adam Mizner's name during an intro evaluation, and how you teach chi 'just like in the movie'.
2. Mention that all his friends call him the Miz at some point. Never refer to him by any other name.
3. Always choose the newest student to push hands with in front of the entire class and pray something magical happens.
4. Film everything. Condense your clips down into those two to thee minutes where people go flying everywhere. Post to all social media outlets.
5. "Famous teachersstudents produce famous studentsteachers". If you get a celebrity student, patronize them in hopes of a movie deal.
6. Make sure there are trained dogs in the movie which snuggle up to you and lick your arm after you toss people around to diffuse any triggering caused by the depiction of physical contact.
7. Carefully invest your money, you have arrived.

Tell me the truth, you as well as I would have signed that contract immediately. I'm actually happy for Mizner. If I ever met him I would want to shake his hand. You may see a lot of copycats coming very soon. Overall I really do think this is a good thing. But it is also very entertaining on the whole :)
Last edited by Appledog on Sat May 14, 2022 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat May 14, 2022 5:06 am

I mean good for him for filling his rice bowl.

I think there's a lot of good in what he teaches. A lot of his students seem to have trouble making use of it.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sat May 14, 2022 6:09 am

Congratulations to Adam on the opportunity to be a part of that film project. I'm sure it was a very cool experience. 8-)

Great fame and fortune has often been a stumbling block for many people, leading to egoistic delusions of grandeur, which can easily increase one's personal vulnerability on many levels within the spotlight of public opinion. I hope he handles it well and uses it for good. :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Sat May 14, 2022 6:25 am

In my experience, Mr. Mizner is a lot less jolly and centered and easy-going when teaching a workshop than the way he appears in his public videos. I wouldn't set much credence by the 'spiritual' stuff. But he certainly has some good physical skills.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat May 14, 2022 6:35 am

Giles wrote:In my experience, Mr. Mizner is a lot less jolly and centered and easy-going when teaching a workshop than the way he appears in his public videos. I wouldn't set much credence by the 'spiritual' stuff. But he certainly has some good physical skills.

You attended one of his work shops ?
If so , you mention skills, what kind of skills :)

Workshops can be challenging,
a lot depends on the people there and general vibe
Last edited by windwalker on Sat May 14, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby SCMT on Sat May 14, 2022 6:59 am

Never been a fan of Adam Mizner.... still not
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby Formosa Neijia on Sat May 14, 2022 9:10 am

Appledog wrote:He's just doing exactly what his teacher did and his teacher before him. ...
Now is our chance, you see? Smell the money.

Rules:
1. Casually drop Adam Mizner's name during an intro evaluation, and how you teach chi 'just like in the movie'.
2. Mention that all his friends call him the Miz at some point. Never refer to him by any other name.
3. Always choose the newest student to push hands with in front of the entire class and pray something magical happens.
4. Film everything. Condense your clips down into those two to thee minutes where people go flying everywhere. Post to all social media outlets.
5. "Famous teachersstudents produce famous studentsteachers". If you get a celebrity student, patronize them in hopes of a movie deal.
6. Make sure there are trained dogs in the movie which snuggle up to you and lick your arm after you toss people around to diffuse any triggering caused by the depiction of physical contact.
7. Carefully invest your money, you have arrived.

Your rules are pretty accurate. Look at how people throw around YCF's name and totally hang their hat on his reputation to this day and the guy never had a fight in his whole life. People still go around banging other people over the head with his 10 principles to police taiji.

As for rule 5, I was surprised to watch this documentary where they say that the real Wong Fei-hung was actually not a good martial artist, he was actually very mediocre for the time. But as you say, he had lots of students that went on to become famous and his name is synonymous with kungfu now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2oOOJLA9jg

But in general, this will take taiji and kungfu to a new low. Anyone teaching anything other than hippy-hop dancing will find their videos and social media posts get buried. No one seems to understand the power of social media. The Prius-driving vegans that do this crap post about it non-stop and yes, the next generation of posers is already in the works. You can see them leeching off of Miz in the comments.

And thanks for writing #6, I like the trained-dog description.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat May 14, 2022 9:28 am

The power of chi didn't help Lyoto Machida (cast member), in his Bellator fight, last night:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aE6C1oYfYDs
marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links