The Power of Chi The Movie

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: The Power of Chi The Movie

Postby D_Glenn on Sun May 15, 2022 8:58 am

Wasn’t it like a St. Bernard, only black and brown?
I didn’t get a good enough look at the other dog though

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun May 15, 2022 9:38 am

There were multiple dogs and breeds of dogs??
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun May 15, 2022 12:10 pm

Did anyone actually go to the channel to have a look at the other clips?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwhZwd ... jFQ/videos

Personally, I thought that the trailer looked interesting. But I was disappointed when I took a look at the rest of the clips. I can only see very basic principles in use, as manipulating the balance and uprooting. Nothing special really and I didn't find anything advanced. So I don't think I will bother renting or buying it.

BTW, I read about some people having trouble downloading the 25 GB movie. So the size and the quality of the online download is just the same as a single layer bluray disc.
Last edited by Bao on Sun May 15, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Shinobi on Sun May 15, 2022 12:37 pm

The people that surround these types annoy me more than anything. I remember one clip with Mizner where a boy asked if he could do a certain thing and a man, obviously shocked that someone would even dare to question if the great one might not be able to do a certain thing, quickly said 'He already has!'. Of course Adam remained calm and humble and soon demonstrated that he could indeed do it, whatever it was, on one of the zombies. If Liang Dehua and Adam Mizner etc could cause a genuine non-believer to go hopping about it would be marvellous. It would be so easy to set up, and there can be an agreement that there is to be no actual fighting, just doing their usual thing on somebody who isn't a sycophant.

Formosa Neijia wrote:
Your rules are pretty accurate. Look at how people throw around YCF's name and totally hang their hat on his reputation to this day and the guy never had a fight in his whole life. People still go around banging other people over the head with his 10 principles to police taiji.

I bet some of his sycophants were painful to be around. There was one who wrote as far back as the late 1920s criticising Shaohou's 'broken energy' way of doing things and saying this is not good for Taiji. I wonder if Luchan and Banhou were such pernickety overanalysers?
Shinobi
Santi

Postby Formosa Neijia on Sun May 15, 2022 3:15 pm

Doc Stier wrote:At the end of the day, those who are well liked by animals, small children, and elderly people can't be all bad. Just saying!

Yeah I would be REAL careful with that. A lot of stuff is being totally overlooked and cults have a way of having dark undersides. This below needs to be brought up every time:
Sickening paedophile Jason Mizner, 44, who filmed himself raping his girlfriend's two-year-old daughter and MUZZLED the toddler when she screamed argues his jail sentence is 'excessive'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... fused.html

People go to Thailand for all kinds of reasons, some of them less-than-good.
Last edited by Formosa Neijia on Sun May 15, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby SCMT on Sun May 15, 2022 5:21 pm

Formosa Neijia wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:At the end of the day, those who are well liked by animals, small children, and elderly people can't be all bad. Just saying!

Yeah I would be REAL careful with that. A lot of stuff is being totally overlooked and cults have a way of having dark undersides. This below needs to be brought up every time:
Sickening paedophile Jason Mizner, 44, who filmed himself raping his girlfriend's two-year-old daughter and MUZZLED the toddler when she screamed argues his jail sentence is 'excessive'

I'm no fan of Adam Mizner...but.....the guy in the original video "Adam Mizner".... not Jason Mizner.
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby everything on Sun May 15, 2022 7:50 pm

push hands with former nba player (?)

not sure if there is a dog in the clip. mysterious stuff
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon May 16, 2022 3:12 am

SCMT wrote:
Formosa Neijia wrote:

I'm no fan of Adam Mizner...but.....the guy in the original video "Adam Mizner".... not Jason Mizner.

Jason's his brother. He has at least one other brother, Gabriel.

This comes up often from the haters. His brother's a pedophile which means.... uh... something... about him. Not sure what, precisely, but I'm sure it's horrible.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Mon May 16, 2022 6:51 am

My take on it

"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon May 16, 2022 7:09 am

nice clip RobP3,

Don't agree with the assessment although it is well reasoned.

Do agree what is shown may be misleading but not for the reasons you've stated.

The The Mystery of Chi https://billmoyers.com/content/the-mystery-of-chi/
By Bill Moyer frames it within the cultural context of what's shown is said to be caused by...whether or not one accepts it or not..

The Power of QI. the movie seems to suggest its a kind of "power" not really how its outlined in TCM "used as a base starting point for understanding"
a better way to view it, might be it's a process happening in the body not normally accessible, with out some training or understanding.

Of course there are stages as you've shown starting from bio-mechanics....

If you listen to whats said in the clip, most will say they don't really feel whats going on,,,,,or they feel something happening within "them"
thats causing the reaction shown...a little different then what was presented in your clip..

Yes many of whats been discussed is and has been tested "live" by those who practice them....
whether touched or not, the processes its said to work from are the same...

Nice clip.... :)

Good to read your views
Last edited by windwalker on Mon May 16, 2022 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Mon May 16, 2022 7:18 am

windwalker wrote:nice clip RobP3,

Don't agree with the assessment although it is well reasoned.

Do agree what is shown may be misleading but not for the reasons you've stated.

If you listen to whats said in the clip, most will say they don't really feel whats going on,,,,,or they feel something happening within "them"
thats causing the reaction shown...a little different then what was presented in your clip..

Good to read your views :)

Thanks. That's the thing with "feelings" thought, isn't it, they can mean almost anything. People unfamiliar with this kind of work may feel all sorts
of things, but it doesn't make claims true. Classic cold reading mediums and the like can use feelings in a similar way.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon May 16, 2022 7:22 am

True but if one notices, they all tend to do and say the same things...

Have been studying, working with this for awhile ;)
Have only recently come to my own conclusions on it.....
Can do many of the demos, shown in the clip to my level......

Part of the overall practice my work is based on...

It is interesting :)
Last edited by windwalker on Mon May 16, 2022 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Mon May 16, 2022 7:56 am

RobP3 wrote:My take on it

Well done, especially the part where you get your friend with no training to replicate it.

I blame teachers for this. They aren't teaching anything remotely real nor are they bothering to explain how anything works. So without being told what's going on, gullible students seek out the fakes with their magic tricks. I caught one in the act who actually advertised later a "qi magic show" and windwalker's response was "so what?" So it's fake and when they admit it's fake and rub it in your face then it's so what? Who cares?

The second thing to blame is social media. These Prius-driving, Trader Joe's-shopping vegans who do this crap are on social media 24-7 sharing this nonsense. Social media companies love them and promote it. Now they've bankrolled his movie. Unless you show magic powers, expect your content to get supressed.

Third, this is Chinese soft power. China promotes this BS because it furthers their aims to extend their influence and it's no threat. A clip that ties all of that together

Note that the Boxer Rebellion is succeeding wildly. They figured out that qigong can't stop bullets but it can fry people's brains if they are stupid enough and there are a lot of idiots out there.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon May 16, 2022 8:06 am

Our mythology is based on biology.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 16, 2022 8:33 am

Nice clip as always Rob!