My fajin

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

My fajin

Postby origami_itto on Sat May 14, 2022 8:46 pm

I joined some friends for a little almost full moon gathering on the beach this evening.
I sneaked off to do a little bit of form in the night air and moonlight and decided to let it go on the parry and punch as I sometimes do.
My crush was filming me and sent me this tiny gif of that moment.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: My fajin

Postby Bao on Sun May 15, 2022 2:57 pm

Very hard to see what you are doing. But it's always interesting to see what people are doing and how they practice, so thank you for sharing. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: My fajin

Postby origami_itto on Sun May 15, 2022 3:14 pm

Yeah I was just so flattered and excited that she was filming me from a distance and pulled out the snippet to share, like she just knew there was something there I'd want to see.

As far as what, it's a little murky, the sand makes for an interesting interface with the ground. This was the middle of parry and punch, which is the trickiest footwork in the first section of the Dong Simplified form. I was recovering from a bit of a stumble due to shifting sand so there wasn't quite as much clean jin as I'd like there.

My right hand is starting by my hip and ending theoretically some distance behind an imagined attackers zyphoid process.

My left foot goes out empty, sets, I had to make a slight adjustment in the right foot as the weight shifted forward.

But you can see my rear leg bends, it doesn't straighten to push my meat forward. It bends when I release the energy stored in my leg and torso with a turn that drives the fist forward like a piston.

So internally, I had lost a bit of jin on the stumble, but the turning movement allows me to store some more to power the final part of the movement.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sun May 15, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links