Neijiaquan vs Western Fighting

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Neijiaquan vs Western Fighting

Postby windwalker on Tue May 17, 2022 9:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un979j09g5E

Like this teachers approach, and inquiry into traditional approaches
bringing to together a knowledge base of traditional methods
some might not be familiar with

He has said he is not a boxer, and seems to understand his own limitations in other arts.
Drawing distinctions between eastern and western stylistic approaches to illustrate unique concepts found in Chinese arts..

Controlling the center...at point of contact...a very key concept

For those talking about the why of "slow" training , maybe he's a fan of RSF ;D
he addresses this...also agree :)

For others asking :)

Is there "internal" way to deal with arm drag and external way to deal with arm drag? I don't think so.

What's your opinion on this?

This may help to provide some answers to your questions.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 18, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed May 18, 2022 4:11 am

I agree, if you train for a format your fighting will adapt to the format. That's not what I'm looking for, personally.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed May 18, 2022 6:18 am

windwalker wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un979j09g5E
He has said he is not a boxer, and seems to understand his own limitations in other arts.
He's drawing distinctions between eastern and western stylistic approaches.

Obviously. Boxing has various punches and ways to generate power (e.g., triangle, short punches). He compares apples to oranges, a rear hand punch to a lead hand push (illegal in boxing).

MMA lead hand push:

windwalker wrote:do agree about controlling the center...at point of contact...

There are advantages to controlling the center before the "point of contact."

origami_itto wrote:I agree, if you train for a format your fighting will adapt to the format. That's not what I'm looking for, personally.

"Watch the feeder, not the one doing the demonstration." In the OP demo format, the feeder freezes. In the fighting format, the feeder may yield/neutralize incoming energy.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed May 18, 2022 6:44 am

marvin8 wrote:
windwalker wrote:
origami_itto wrote:I agree, if you train for a format your fighting will adapt to the format. That's not what I'm looking for, personally.

"Watch the feeder, not the one doing the demonstration." In the OP demo format, the feeder freezes. In the fighting format, the feeder may yield/neutralize incoming energy.

Yes I agree these sequences that require the opponent checking out completely to work seem a bit sketchy.

I like application study of the sort that looks at the offensive and defensive potential in every inch of a series of movement (a "posture", a "form", a "transition *BARF")

so the first part of the movement is an attack, we first assume it is successful and see what it does to their body

next we have them neutralize the attack, see where that leaves us both, and the next inch of the series of movement is explored

you work your way through the entire form like that and you can learn an awful lot about how bodies and Taijiquan work

then the next phase would be something like one-steps. You make one movement, say a straight punch to the chest, of course, not at power, just putting your fist there. Your opponent makes one movement to counter/block/attack/etc, you make one movement, they make one movement.

The connection between combat and chess becomes glaringly obvious when you study it like this.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed May 18, 2022 7:01 am

marivn8 wrote: Obviously. Boxing has various punches and ways to generate power (e.g., triangle, short punches). He compares apples to oranges, a rear hand punch to a lead hand push (illegal in boxing).

Are you an analyst or practitioner...not listed in your profile unless I missed it. :)

He is comparing types of power generation, gives examples of usage regardless of format.
Provide a distinction for internal arts, characterized by the use of dantain, and accompanying strategies dictated by the method.
He mentions this is a basic level of understanding, there is more but for now at this level it's one of the key components.

As a long time practitioner of CMA, transitioned into IMA .

Had questions as to what I felt through experience but could not really express through words.
His presentation, brought out some points, quite clearly, although as mentioned at a beginning level of understanding..

A key point the differences in practices of arts like mantis, Tibetan white crane and taiji
arts that I had practiced transitioning into taiji, now only taiji....
Just completed an experiment, that didn't work out...now understanding what I felt as to the "why"

Instead of only knowing its different though experience, now having some answers as to the "why" its different
aligning with the experience .

Helps in clarifying the distinctions :)
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 18, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed May 18, 2022 7:47 am

Other teachers illustrating differences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNRsQULQX_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDP3sfJCuI&t=108s

All speak of dantian, emphasizing different aspects of it according to their practices.
In general all talk about the same principles.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 18, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed May 18, 2022 12:15 pm

Some might want to understand the channel

Like the teachers content and stated goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiaXynpjwO0
windwalker
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links