Yin Style Bagua

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Yin Style Bagua

Postby D_Glenn on Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 am

There’s a lot of short video clips of applications on this twitter feed. Even some examples of the Snake

https://twitter.com/yinstylebagua?s=21&t=NAsKhTyweTyGuwOjzBT5Sw

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Re: Yin Style Bagua

Postby Quigga on Mon May 23, 2022 6:25 am

Looks like I'm identifying as Tweety :D Gonna hit you up
Quigga

Postby D_Glenn on Mon May 23, 2022 11:32 am

Tom, agree. He’s the best thing that could have happened for this lineage. Apparently after classes with Jinbao he meticulously writes and sketches out everything they learned. It helps that his mind is a like a steel trap too. I believe he’s still doing 2 hours of Circle Walking every morning. Which he started doing back around late 1998-99.
Dr. Xie did Circle Walking everyday from around 1932-2003. Said he missed 2 years though during the cultural revolution because he couldn’t afford to waste the calories. He once traded an antique worth 10,000 (dollars or yuen IDK, the translator didn’t really clarify) for a bowl of rice. Jinbao has been doing Circle Walking every day since 1971.

And everyone’s knees and backs are perfectly fine, as you can see in those clips.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Mon May 23, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon May 23, 2022 6:14 pm

D_Glenn wrote:Jinbao has been doing Circle Walking every day since 1971.

And everyone’s knees and backs are perfectly fine, as you can see in those clips.

I have no doubt that is true. I have practiced Circle Walking every day since 1966, and also never had any problems with my back or knees.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Wed May 25, 2022 9:47 am

Doc, I count myself lucky. My first teacher did Gao Yisheng Bagua and I started off learning the toe slide method, which was okay wearing cotton soled shoes on slick wooden floors but I could already feel the damage to my knees coming on when I wasn’t at the school. When I met Dr. Xie shortly after and started doing Yin Fu style, he told me about the how and why that stepping is bad, and instructed me to just walk Naturally (Ziran Bu) for a year or so. Work on Bai and Kou, and Scissor Thigh stepping, but don’t try to change your habits of lifting the foot off the ground and placing it back on the ground. Just keep that natural for the time being. But even when you work on that there will still never be sliding. He thinks that the sliding might have arose when uniformed students saw their teachers walking in short grass. Where the foot is picked up, keeping it as flat as possible, (not trying to show the sole of your foot). Then trying to hover the foot 1 inch above the ground. Then when it’s placed down it’s like a Stake (Zhuang) stuck in the ground and unmoving. Never any sliding, but it looks like it is in the grass.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed May 25, 2022 12:27 pm

Good points and good advice. I was taught that the so-called Mud Sliding Step is a type of footwork specifically designed for use only on treacherously slippery surfaces covered with rain water; shallow wet mud; snow or ice; gasoline or oil; loose dirt, sand or gravel; and so forth. However, what I was taught is performed a bit differently than the toe sliding step usually seen in modern wushu forms today.

On those surfaces, the normal natural footwork method of placing the heel down first, before transferring weight forward to complete the step, would increase the possibility of accidentally slipping, and thereby losing balance and stability, when quickly taking active steps while actually fighting on a slippery surface.

Thus, in the older version of the Sun Style, it is not used in any other circumstances and is definitely not used as the standard method for daily Circle Walking practices.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed May 25, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Return to Video Links