A new standard short form in China

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: A new standard short form in China

Postby taiwandeutscher on Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:42 am

Doc Stier wrote:...
Conversely, to display certificates of rank which suggest skills levels that haven't actually been achieved is inevitably destined to be a source of public embarrassment and personal loss of face. Oh, well. It is what it is. ::)

If that is the case, at least the truth gets out. But there are people with a modern 6th Duanwei (6. student's garade?), who believe those duanwei are similar to black belts in Japanese arts. Of course, they wouldn't stand 30 sec. against a 6th Dan, so they never dare to try.

My own awakening came 1990, when I had a chance to travel with a German Juod team, including an Olympic Gold Medalist in Judo, Udo Quellmalz, to Asia. He had a 2nd Dan, and I thought I had some skills, you can imagine the outcome...
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:02 am

taiwandeutscher wrote:My own awakening came 1990, when I had a chance to travel with a German Juod team, including an Olympic Gold Medalist in Judo, Udo Quellmalz, to Asia. He had a 2nd Dan, and I thought I had some skills, you can imagine the outcome...

Sometimes happens, sometimes not...either way always good to interact with others. :)

Judo guys, very quick and strong of those I've interacted with 2 who mentioned they were Olympic contenders "French" and others others notably a CEO and CFO Japanese, from a branch of a large semiconductor company based in Japan in the US I worked at, they both Japanese Judo players 1st dan level if I remember wanted to try their Judo against something different. Would later go on to practice taiji from me.

In all cases I let them try what ever they wanted to do. set ups, throws in a non-competitive environment exploring the "what if's " ....none succeeded.
Fun and interesting. What most impressed them was that they were unable to even set up or start the throw...If one can "ting jin" able to sense from their intent, and dantain qi, makes it very hard, although given time as with most things they would have adapted and started to learn how to be more neutral.

As with anything in a competitive environment, a lot of other factors are involved.
Not about testing anymore,,,, something to think about and be aware of...Thinking one can play with someone and then step into a competitive environment.

With out training for it,,,,in most cases a mistake.. :P

Case in point, also interacted with some Sambo "са́мбо" guys..
Instigated by a friend of mine, they happened to be practicing where we were working with some sensing hands...

They stopped watched, my friend asked them if they wanted to try,,,against "me" :o

oh ya,,,good friend. :P

Thinking it was friendly, was able to toss both out as they tried things in what for them was an unfamiliar format, no restrictions other then we started from a push hands position and it was not "competitive"

One them tried to take out my knee, actually at the time felt a sharp pain before tossing him out...Thinking one of the tendons might have been damaged
I smiled and showed no pain, we played a little more they left....a good time for all I guess :-\

My knee very badly damaged,,,. Thought it was an ACL tear,,barely could walk for about 2 weeks or so...
Managed to let it heal up on its own..Good lesson learned in a hard way...could have been worse..
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:00 am

Yes I watched Willy wrong who posted here with the Australian judo champ
Thé judo guy tried to throw him for the longest time it became embarrassing
Finally Willy winked at me and let the guy throw him
Weeks later I saw the judo guy was the first guy to teach the Penrith Rugby League side judo
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links