Nothing special, just myself 30 years ago :-)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Nothing special, just myself 30 years ago :-)

Postby dacheng on Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:07 pm

So, after 2 years in China (1989-2001), shortly after coming back to Poland, I was invited to demonstrate taijiquan in a TV programme.
dacheng
Wuji

Re: Nothing special, just myself 30 years ago :-)

Postby windwalker on Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:38 pm

Very nice

thanks for sharing some of your work.. :)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:56 pm

Thanks for sharing Andzej, didn't know you did Chen tcc before settling on Yiquan. Feng Zhiqiang's branch?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:39 pm

Interesting, your form is more correct than most I have seen.

I think I heard another poster say you switched to yiquan. Based on this video I consider this a big loss for Chen style, but, happy times for the yiquan people. I bet your yiquan is something special too.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Giles on Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:24 am

Yes, I like this too. I'm not a Chen practitioner but from my perspective I see a nicely relaxed flow combined with clarity and a very good structure/connections.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:32 am

I think it is special. Very nice to see this prelude to your later practices. Thank you!
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:53 pm

I like the flow, the continuity. Reminds me of older Chen style clips. Nowadays many chen stylists feel too robotic, IMHO.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dacheng on Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:55 am

nicklinjm wrote:Thanks for sharing Andzej, didn't know you did Chen tcc before settling on Yiquan. Feng Zhiqiang's branch?

Yes, during my first stay in China 1989-1991 I was mostly focusing on Chen style. But immediately after arriving in Beijing I did a bit of Wu 吴 style with Zhou Yi 周毅, who was a student of Wu Tunan. Actually one of my teachers of Chinese language back in Poland knew Wu Tunan and promised to introduce me to him when I would come to China. Then it turned out that Wu Tunan passed away in January, a few months before I got there. So I was introduced to Zhou Yi, who was teaching at Beiwai. But soon it turned out that Zhou would go abroad to teach in Russia and Switzerland. I met some Chen style guys in Zizhuyuan park and started learning it. Then I found Feng Zhiqiang and mostly learned from him and his assistant Wang Fengming during weekends in Tiantan park. On other days going to practice with people in Zizhuyuan and other places close to Beiwai. Zizhuyuan was also the place where I started learning Yiquan from Wang Yufang's students. Then after coming back to Poland I found that I was gradually more and more focusing on Yiquan, and then started to concentrate solely on learning Yiquan every time when going to Beijing.
Last edited by dacheng on Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dacheng
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:43 pm

Really interesting Andrzej. Any comments on what you learned from Zhou Yi / Wang Fengming? Was the focus more on forms or was there push hands / application work?

Also if you were studying with Wang Yufang's students, was Zhang Shuxin around at that time?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby dacheng on Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:10 am

nicklinjm wrote:Really interesting Andrzej. Any comments on what you learned from Zhou Yi / Wang Fengming? Was the focus more on forms or was there push hands / application work?

Also if you were studying with Wang Yufang's students, was Zhang Shuxin around at that time?

Hi, I'm replying late, because have been on a very active vacation last 2 weeks.

I learned from Zhou Yi for quite short time, but managed to learn long form in the dingshijia定式架 variant. In other 吴 schools they call it square frame. We didn't do any tui shou at that time.

Zhou showed us also next stages: the lianshijia连式架 (aka round frame) and kuaijia 快架 (yongjia 用架), which Wu Tunan learned from Yang Shaohou.

The main classes were in the afternoons. But there were also qigong sessions at 6 a.m. every day. Zhou Yi developed various qigong sets based on qigong which he learned from Wu Tunan. What we were practicing was the most basic of those sets. I got some more idea about those qigong sets only a few years ago, when I got a book in Russian co-authored by Zhou Yi and Andrey Milenyuk. Actually I remember Andrey Milenyuk from those old times. He later became the main disciple of Zhou Yi and organized his workshop in Russia many times. I received the mentioned book via Andrey's student who visited me in Poland

One more thing I learned from Zhou was a sword form, but not from Wu Taiji, but created by his friend from Beijing opera. It involved a lot of flowery movements with the tassel, which had to be longer than the sword itself.

With Feng Zhiqiang and Wang Fengming my main focus was Feng's 48 form. I did some tui shou there, but not much. There was a group of young guys who used to spend a lot of time practicing competitive tui shou though. It was mostly fixed step. At that time Feng started teaching his Hunyuan Qigong, but it was at different place, different time. It was never practiced in the Tiantan group.

As for Zhang Shuxin (张树新), I don't remember him being around at that time. According to info which I just have found, he started learning from Wang Yufang in 1996.
dacheng
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:11 pm

dacheng wrote:Yes, during my first stay in China 1989-1991 I was mostly focusing on Chen style.

But immediately after arriving in Beijing I did a bit of Wu 吴 style with Zhou Yi 周毅, who was a student of Wu Tunan. .

Recently reconnected with a student of mine who's first taiji teacher was also a direct student of Wu Tunan in Beijing,

Was wondering your thoughts on Wu style from the student of Wu Tunan :)
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Sean on Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:10 am

Great movement quality!
Sean
Wuji

Postby dacheng on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:25 am

windwalker wrote:Was wondering your thoughts on Wu style from the student of Wu Tunan :)

I quite liked it at that time. The reason I stopped was Zhou Yi's going abroad, and me being quite attracted by Chen style. Anyway even now I would say that the method was quite interesting. I liked the fact that it included the fast form. But what I would really appreciate (after years of Yiquan, with a lot of zhan zhuang) if I practiced it now, would be the most basic frame - dingshijia - fixed postures frame. Unlike the next level lianshijia - linked postures frame, which was flowing and with more round movements, the dingshijia didn't look so nice. I remember someone commenting: "This is some breakdance, not taijiquan" :-) It didn't look nice, so demonstrating it wouldn't really attract beginners. It was like a series of postures with very simple, quite straight transitions between the postures. Each of the postures (the final posture of a movement) was maintained for several or more seconds (or time of several breaths), and then you slowly moved to the final position of the next movement, and stopped there again for the time of several breaths, focusing on feeling your body and on the direction of intent. So it was quite solid basic training, bringing good results.

Talking about it, I remember that when Wang Peisheng was teaching, it was quite similar - most of the training session was actually keeping fixed postures, before next movement. Myself I didn't learn from Wang Peisheng, as at that time I already focused on Chen style, but during my second year in Beijing, it happened that Wang Peisheng was teaching once a week on our campus, in a small garden just in front of my room window, where he was teaching his 37 form. He used to demonstrate some movement and explain how to shift attention between various points of body while executing that movement. The students were supposed to stop in the final position of the movement, and then Wang was correcting them and explaining demands regarding various parts of body. It could last several minutes, while the students had to keep the posture. Then the movement was repeated several times, and afterwards Wang demonstrated next movement, and again the students had to stand still for a few minutes in the final position of the new movement and so on.
dacheng
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:48 am

I'm familiar with dingshi as a practice with the regular long form.
We'd stop at the end of the posture, settle, sink, deepen, then move on after a period of time. I have never heard of a form like that but from your description it seems like it's the same thing but they decided to simplify the postures since the stationary end point is the goal.
The first form I learned had each movement broken into an even number of counts. It was broken down precisely. On hardcore mode we would dingshi at each of those counts for at least an extra two counts, sometimes four.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links