Xing Yi stepping basics

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Xing Yi stepping basics

Postby edededed on Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:54 am

Ah - interesting to know, thanks.

I guess that spear takes a lot of space even stationary, if doing a linking form, etc., it needs a whole yard!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:31 am

GrahamB wrote:In fact, I mainly practice BJJ most of the time. I know - what a disappointment. ;D

I guess if you can't figure out how to make Taijiquan work it's a good second choice.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:33 am

GrahamB wrote:...it's all the same between different weapons and no weapons. i.e. We don't suddenly start doing something else because we're holding a sword, or a spear or punching.

Agreed. Most CMA styles have traditionally advocated the value of learning how to use their basic body methods and core principles in the applications of all fighting techniques built upon same, whether with or without any weapon in hand.

In this way, the use of different weapons essentially amounts to fairly simple variations on a foundational theme, with variable techniques and form expressions, while maintaining a consistently familiar feeling in the shen-fa employed with all.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:39 am

origami_itto wrote:
GrahamB wrote:In fact, I mainly practice BJJ most of the time. I know - what a disappointment. ;D

I guess if you can't figure out how to make Taijiquan work it's a good second choice.

Who says I can't do BJJ AND MAKE TAI CHI WORK AS WELL???

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:43 am

Doc Stier wrote:
GrahamB wrote:...it's all the same between different weapons and no weapons. i.e. We don't suddenly start doing something else because we're holding a sword, or a spear or punching.

Agreed. Most CMA styles have traditionally advocated the value of learning how to use their basic body methods and core principles in the applications of all fighting techniques built upon same, whether with or without any weapon in hand.

In this way, the use of different weapons essentially amounts to fairly simple variations on a foundational theme, with variable techniques and form expressions, while maintaining a consistently familiar feeling in the shen-fa employed with all.

Yep, I am often mystified when I see Xing Yi 'sword forms' that look more like elaborate shaolin or wushu sword forms with occasional beng or zuan stabs thrown in. I mean, it's all very clever, looks amazing, but...... why?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:45 am

edededed wrote:Ah - interesting to know, thanks.

I guess that spear takes a lot of space even stationary, if doing a linking form, etc., it needs a whole yard!

Yard? I think you need a field ;D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links