Dong Family Simplified Form

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Dong Family Simplified Form

Postby Bob on Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:54 am

Maybe in some forms/systems "simplified" is not an accurate description and it might be better to term it "shortened". A number of long forms are taught in segments which is kind of like a shortened form. Although in my younger days I hated the idea of learning a "simplified"/"shortened" forms it was pointed out to me that "shortened" forms are easier for correcting misaligned or improper movement and structure otherwise, with a "long" form, you are simply repeating and compounding the errors.

Reading over some comments by Ben Lo, he noted that he learned one posture a month for about a year and then went onto to the forms.

Some systems like bajiquan and xing yi often start with stationary postures and then go onto single moving postures before learning a form.

Even like systems of praying mantis often learns the form in segments and practices applications in segmented drills.
Last edited by Bob on Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:52 am

Learn how to feel the paint brush. One can do 10.000 repititions without paying attention. Not good
Quigga

Postby Giles on Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:05 am

Bob wrote:Maybe in some forms/systems "simplified" is not an accurate description and it might be better to term it "shortened". A number of long forms are taught in segments which is kind of like a shortened form. Although in my younger days I hated the idea of learning a "simplified"/"shortened" forms it was pointed out to me that "shortened" forms are easier for correcting misaligned or improper movement and structure otherwise, with a "long" form, you are simply repeating and compounding the errors.

I agree. On the one hand, if you have time to learn - or to properly teach - a long form, then that will bring the most benefit in the long term. In various ways. BUT if this time is not available, if you yourself or your students are motivated but you simply don't have the time to learn a long form and also devote enough attention to the basic exercises/jibengong that are really the best path to the essence and proper skills... Then better to train/teach a shorted form that still has good principles in it. Definitely not the 24-move 'Peking form' (!!) but another form like the one in the video or a non-sloppy version of the Cheng Man Ching form or whatever. That's why I chose to teach my own corrupted version ;) of the CMC form in my classes. I spend much more time in class on a set of basic exercises (some quite similar to Huang's 5 Loosenings, but from a different lineage) and some days I do very little or no form work at all. Just these basic exercises then straight into partner work. Other days I spend maybe a third or (gulp) half the time on form work. Under these circumstances, a long form just isn't practicable.

More specifically to this Dong form: pretty good execution, and I like that it starts with peng,lu,ji,an / Grasp Sparrow's Tail on both sides. Plus some other moves done left and right.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:20 am

to go off on a tangent, xingyiquan 5 elements seems brilliant for some of these reasons. same with jab, cross, hook, uppercut.

compact "short forms"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:27 am

Every posture is a form, hence the 24 forms. And xing yi... I mean... It's right there in the name.

A form is a series of forms
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:00 am

Then there is no difference between tai chi and karate and jake mace and sun Lu tang
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Giles on Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:31 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Then there is no difference between tai chi and karate and jake mace and sun Lu tang

I don't understand this statement. What concept/reasoning are you criticizing, Wayne?
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links