Xingyi Quan, imitating the movement of the spear

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Xingyi Quan, imitating the movement of the spear

Postby Bob on Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCkcDjgH1Rc

Xingyi Quan is a well-known Quan (schools of Chinese martial arts) in Chinese traditional wushu. It is called the three famous Quan in the family together with Tai Chi and Bagua. Song is one of the schools of Xingyi Quan. Created by wushu artist Song Shirong in the late Qing Dynasty, it has been developed systematically. Fu Hongbo, is a "Wu" generation disciple of the Song's Xingyi Quan, he has been practicing wushu for over 30 years.

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Xingyi Quan, imitating the movement of the spear

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:52 am

Good lord, the fantasy warrior samurai vibe is strong with him. -saber-
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:53 am

LOL - I try not to throw the baby out with the bath water but that can be tough when the kid is glowing!
Bob
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:42 pm

I have met the guy in the video (Fu Hongbo), true that he does like to cultivate a certain aura but his gongfu is rock solid - could not move him an inch in Santi and he easily launched me 2-3 feet in the air with his Tiger (hupu).
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Bob on Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:20 pm

I believe you - The qiang training is part of the "secret" but not the whole part.
Last edited by Bob on Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:54 am

At this point in time, any initial correlation between the movements of spear techniques and Xingyiquan movement patterns seems like an irrelevant debate to me, even if such a connection actually existed in the past, since spears are no longer carried as weapons of war today.

Additionally, most CMA styles have traditionally advocated the value of learning how to use their basic body methods and core principles in the applications of all fighting techniques built upon same accordingly, whether with or without any weapon in hand.

In this way, the use of different weapons essentially amounts to fairly simple variations on a foundational theme, with variable techniques and form expression, while maintaining a consistently familiar feeling in the shen-fa employed with all. 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:11 am

Well we don't carry spears anymore, true, but plenty of spear like objects laying around lol.

And an arm is practically a spear, right? Can grab it and work it the same way. :D
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:59 am

origami_itto wrote:Well we don't carry spears anymore, true, but plenty of spear like objects laying around lol.

And an arm is practically a spear, right? Can grab it and work it the same way. :D

Yeah, true. Just think about how people back then in the 18th and 19th century used their bodies much more in everyday life. Everything was done manually. So I would believe that lots of martial arts practice was designed to enhance general body skill and movement, how to use the body more efficient. Also, you should be able to take everyday things and use them in different creative ways, because you almost never got what you need in different situations. IMHO, it's more likely that this kind of philosophy comes closer to the real essence of, and development of, Chinese Martial arts, than handling a specific weapon or learn specific techniques.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:37 am

Bigger picture for power training, alignment, shen fa - if one can't see beyond weapon function then I guess it is indeed a pointless discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEmt8XeL3m4

Dr. James Guo - Daqiang Exercise

https://youtu.be/NTJwT6J5oCY

Xingyi Spear and Pole Shaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBIQ6hlRNHc

In this exclusive Patreon video, Song Bao Gui teaches Jon some of the finer details of Song Family Xingyi's spear.
In this series, I team up with Paul Andrews of Xingyi Academy and Jon Nicklin to travel to Tianjin, Shanxi and Henan to explore the various styles of the art of Xingyi Quan. We will cover the Hebei Style of Li Cun Yi, Song and Che Family Xingyi in Taigu, Dai Style Xinyi in Qi County and Muslim Xinyi Liuhe in Henan Province.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPN-nlO8Crk

The Chinese gentleman in this video is my late teacher, master Zhou Jingxuan (1965-2015). Here we see master Zhou teaching the usage of the Big Spear from his Xing Yi Quan and Baji Quan systems. Master Zhou was known in his day to have been one of the most skilled practitioners of both Baji Quan and Pigua Zhang in China. | Master Zhou's legacy and teachings live on: http://www.bluejadesociety.com

Just for historical fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX1SViJzSes

Dr. James Guo

Last edited by Bob on Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:20 pm

Doc Stier wrote:At this point in time, any initial correlation between the movements of spear techniques and Xingyiquan movement patterns seems like an irrelevant debate to me, even if such a connection actually existed in the past, since spears are no longer carried as weapons of war today.

Additionally, most CMA styles have traditionally advocated the value of learning how to use their basic body methods and core principles in the applications of all fighting techniques built upon same accordingly, whether with or without any weapon in hand.

In this way, the use of different weapons essentially amounts to fairly simple variations on a foundational theme, with variable techniques and form expression, while maintaining a consistently familiar feeling in the shen-fa employed with all. 8-)

Something I've found very useful for example is how working with a two-handed weapon can translate into working with two one-handed weapons in many ways, and then working with two one-handed rigid weapons can translate into working with two one-handed flexible weapons.

Like each one has nuance and can go off in slightly different directions with slightly different concerns, but the foundation of competence carries over and builds, and it's all built on the empty hand foundation. In xingyi and taijiquan, in my experience.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links