Tai Chi v Shaolin

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai Chi v Shaolin

Postby Steve James on Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:59 am

This just popped up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNzq6vDO8ww
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Tai Chi v Shaolin

Postby Quigga on Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:47 pm

It's entertaining. I've said something about things that are merely entertaining when it comes to the grits and bones. Not good enough. But fun to watch.
Quigga

Postby Steve James on Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:52 am

Yep. It's way more entertaining than most of the "Taci chi v ____" videos. At least, I'd rather see any of the tcc guys in it against Xu. They seem way more prepared than the masters he's faced.

Imo, it's not a matter of level. Nobody fights at high level before they've fought at low level. And, not everyone can even fight at as low a level as the guys in the vid.;)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:13 am

Rest assured that my level is enough for you :-)

You say it's not a matter of level, and then proceed to make it about levels again? Explain please.

Is high level / low level combat an individual, singular instance or are you talking about progressing through MMA ranks?

Fighting in some way or form or sense is part of life. From the lowest levels of it to the highest.
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:24 am

Hmm yes, a fighting sense. Who said we are limited to 5 ordinary senses? What about combining them? If feeling is a sense - and I know that there are infinitely many feels to experience or rather how the experiencee is connecting to the experience - then that sense is infinite.

I can lose my hearing, sight, taste smell (COVID?). But as long as I am conscious, I can feel - whatever that may be. I hope no one is going to torture me and keep me conscious all the time. That would suck quite bad.
Quigga

Postby Steve James on Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:39 am

Aw, it certainly wasn't about your level. And, I'd never claim to be higher level in any sense to the guys in the video; or call what a fighter was doing low level.

Ok, I did think saying it was "not good enough" was a way of putting them down. I still do. But, in general, I was agreeing that it was entertaining.

Afa explanation, ime competing against resisting opponents is the only way to get to a high level in combat sports. That doesn't mean anyone has to win competitions. Losers will still get better, if they don't quit.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:31 am

Quigga wrote:Is high level / low level combat an individual, singular instance or are you talking about progressing through MMA ranks?

Our personal level of live combat skill is generally, imo, an individual, singular event everytime we engage in serious fighting with anyone.

How well we fare is oftentimes affected less by rank or title than it is by all previous realtime fighting experience, including the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Personal self-confidence and mental expectations regarding the outcome of any fight are largely influenced by previous outcomes in similar situations.

Thus, our most realistic default skill level will typically be whatever our consistently best previous outcomes have been. This usually requires an 'on the job' training process which only produces enhanced skills through lots of ongoing experience in the practical application of whatever we regularly practice.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:52 am

Steve, fair points. I'm just hypercritical of myself and transfer that onto others. Not a good thing. I only watched 30 seconds of the clip anyway, so who am I to make a judgement about their skills (hehe).

Doc, I agree. I want my fighting sense to work when needed and or to alert me, and to just linger in the background like a relaxed dog when I don't need it. Without me thinking about etc

You are always fighting against yourself anyway imo... So if all movement occurs in one body so to say, why should there be any delay, error or mistake? It's always my own inadequacies, fears, resistances, confusions that hinder my flow of action. Nothing else.
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:58 am

There are combative aggressive overly engaging types of people, and then there are people who engage in combat. The former tend to be not so fun to be around, the latter may be. Yet I think of tattooed, roided up mercenaries living to kill 'sand people', as they call them. If the money is right, then someone will do the job I've heard.

A big block imo is 'this is actually happening'. Not believing that someone would really go out of their way to hurt me that much, or that in fact, it wasn't such a huge detour at all for them. Yeah, and then doing what's required.
Quigga

Return to Video Links