How to transfer center of gravity in Angular Taiji, etc.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

How to transfer center of gravity in Angular Taiji, etc.

Postby marvin8 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:43 am

Article on Angular Taiji, "Zhong Ding at every second." Tai Chi articles originally published at Examiner.com.

Br Wu
Aug 1, 2022

How to transfer center of gravity in Angular Taiji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3e0f6ohGKs

Br Wu
Jun 4, 2022

How to develop Taiji "Ting Jing" ability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_jKox366Vg

Br Wu
Jul 25, 2022

(Click on CC for English captions.)
Taiji is an indestructible wall, but it has not necessary to break out enormous force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92xoGCou0DA

Br Wu
Jun 3, 2022

push hands must know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYlSQWTjQPE
marvin8
Wuji

Re: How to transfer center of gravity in Angular Taiji, etc.

Postby everything on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:19 am

already just cannot watch due to the word "angular". I mean WTF, c'mon tai chi hippies.

how about "eccentric, angular, biomechanics, woowoo, practical, chutzpah, secret style taiji". maybe worth a watch.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:18 am

FWIW, 方架太极, is commonly translated as square frame taiji. Angular is probably a better description. In Wu style taiji square form is usually taught first. It focuses on body mechanics and is a bit robotic. After learning the square form, it is smoothed out, and it becomes round.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:27 pm

Didn’t watch past the first couple of seconds due to his bad body mechanics
Don’t sell the square form short
There are so many advanced things in it
We do three forms that come from CTH
Square
Circular
Circular continuous
I have never seen anyone do the third
I was told Wu only taught the square then let the student work out his own circular then he would correct it
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:30 pm

What do you think of as moving the spine
Quigga

Postby marvin8 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:33 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Didn’t watch past the first couple of seconds due to his bad body mechanics
Don’t sell the square form short
There are so many advanced things in it
We do three forms that come from CTH
Square
Circular
Circular continuous

I was told Wu only taught the square then let the student work out his own circular then he would correct it

This one?

mabakle
Sep 14, 2015

This is the Wu Style continuous Taiji Quan set as taught to me by the late Master Woo Shing in Hong Kong. Woo Shing learned from Cheng Wing Kwong who was a disciple of Wu Chean Chuan. The set was performed in Ewa Beach, Hawaii on 10 September 2015 for my students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhslyI1LU2s

"The Wu Style angular frame would also be extinct if not for Wu Jianguan’s close friend Zhang Daquan. Zhang, a renown Tai Chi grandmaster in his time, taught the angular frame to many including Dai Ying. Born in Shanghai, China, and having no family tie to Wu Jianquan, Sifu Benjamin Wu started his Tai Chi journey at age 24 with Master Dai Ying."

mtaehwang
Aug 5, 2017

Wu-style t'ai chi ch'uan
(吳氏太極拳)

This Wu "Square" form was performed by Master Mau in the late 80's in downtown New York. Master Mau was a student of Wu master Zhang Daquan 张达泉 太师 (1889-1969). Grand-master Zhang's teacher was Ji Zixiu. Master Mau was also the student of Chen Zhao Kui, son of Chen Faki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFfXppu5HKU
marvin8
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:08 pm

"square" in lower case sounds interesting. "Angular Taiji" like some kind of bad marketing naming.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:08 pm

The form above is the standard Wu circular form not the circular continuous form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:10 pm

Quigga if that is directed at me I don’t understand your question
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:46 am

wayne hansen wrote:We do three forms that come from CTH
Square
Circular
Circular continuous

what about the man himself Wayne, is this the kind of form you mean by 'circular continuous', if not how would you say it differs ?

Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:17 pm

The form he is doing here is the circular form with a couple of moves from the circular continuous
They are at the play the pi pa brush knee position
By the way I like the way the guy doing the circular form on the basketball court does his form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:08 am

Wayne, you're being a bit confusing

does it mean different form ie. different movements.. or a different way/ style of practicing.
the difference between square and round/ circular.. is the latter as far as I understand.

what does 'continuous' actually mean or allude to here ?

When I get a chance will try to remember to ask Neil Rossiak about this, who has a direct contact to CTH's son.
But this doesn't seem to be a thing in the transmission to Dan Docherty.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:44 pm

Earth calling Wayne.

Are you able to answer with anything meaningful or have you been channeling your old buddy Stephen Hwa :D
Or better yer, keeping secrets lol.

Wayne was the only westerner to get the secret transmission of circular continuous!!

Man I'm having a great day here or what..
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:39 pm

No I am not the only westerner to get the continuous form
It comes from one of my teachers Colin Chau who was an indoor student of CTH
My other 3 teachers who come from CTH,s uncle CWK through Tan Mon Hung have the 24 noi gung but not the circular continuous form
He passed it on to a few people
All I said was I have never seen anyone else do it
To explain to you how it works would be of little use due to comments you have made
https://youtu.be/vB-A_8t2yq4
This is Colin’s best friend and training partner who learnt the form at the same time
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:32 pm

Well, why talk about it and mention several times (and in another thread) it if you're not willing to even explain what it means. what a cop out. It was a bit of ribbing, not meant to be offensive. it's your choice to get in a huff rather than take it in the right spirit...

anyway,
the word continuous is pretty self explanatory; as are square and circular..

the square and circular are not different forms.. the square is a simplification which is performed differently.

you stated that CTH did a few moves from the 'circular continuous' form, which on the face of it suggest different form/ different moves. then my question was incredibly simple. but on reflection, that's just not likely; that it's a 'different form'.

The fact is tcc is supposed to be both circular and continuous and anything you might add to that or not won't be in the least bit enlightening or progressive.
It's on you to give your words meaning, otherwise we can just assume there's nothing worthwhile or 'new'/ different about it. It's so common for tcc people to make out they know something others don't. some secret sauce held back or uncommon. super typical. for the most part it's all mouth no trousers. I'm open and share, because that's what I believe in, transparency. Chinese martial culture isn't like that, and that's significant part of the reasons to how it has become; it's in such a sorry state. You are just repeating that culture unfortunately.

It makes no sense to suggest that circular form or what CTH is doing there is a further simplification or stepping stone to the 'right way' or 'complete way'. the square was just to get students from one move to another in a simpler way.

It leaves me thinking;
you are unable to make a coherent case for it rather than unwilling to. that's my best bet. as soon as you are pressed you go hide under a rock like a coward rather than back up your words like a confident man. that's all I can really see here.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links