Yang Style Tai Chi, Form & Apps — Master Yu Cheng Hsiang

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Yang Style Tai Chi, Form & Apps — Master Yu Cheng Hsiang

Postby marvin8 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:19 pm

Master Yu was born in 1929 in Shanghai, China. As a young boy, he studied Shaolin Chuan with Hou Zheng Chi. He went to Taiwan in 1949 and first studied Tai Chi Chuan with Lee Sou Chin. When Master Lee passed away, he became a disciple of Cheng Man Ching to further his studies. He came to United States in 1979 and have been teaching Tai Chi Chuan in New York and New Jersey since then.

Lawrence Smith
Nov 26, 2020

Yang Style Tai Chi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0rwZwBtWyY
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Yang Style Tai Chi, Form & Apps — Master Yu Cheng Hsiang

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:53 pm

I remember him; he'd say "TCC is not soft." He taught on the fourth or fifth floor of a loft off Broadway, near the BKLYN bridge. So, to take a class, you'd have to climb a long way. Iinm, the woman doing phs at the end of the video used to win (along with her sister) loads of ph competitions.

Cool find.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:27 am

Quite interesting, this. The first form he demonstrates is totally the Cheng Man-Ching 37-step form in terms of moves/sequence, but performed in quite a different way. Presumably there's a lot of what he previously learned in there, too. A lot of good qualities in there, even if sometimes it seems (to me) a little idiosyncratic.
Intermittently his knees are clearly out of alignment when he goes deep or turns the waist, but some people seem to have bullet-proof knees that are happy to go with all kinds of funny angles. Sometimes I wish I belonged in that category, but Mother Nature wasn't so kind to me here.

I quite liked the tuishou sequences. He's crisp, aligned and very much to the point, also when considering he's much lighter than the guys he's working with.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:00 am

Yeah, his ward-off looks somewhat different. It's small, but others do it. The phs demos had to have been from the 80s/90s when there were many phs tournaments; that's probably why he mentions competitions so much.

The guys he was working with were trying to catch him out sometimes, instead of just feeding him and standing still.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:19 pm

I agree with the two previous comments
His knee alignment in snake is so bad
Bullet proof knees or not it would catch him out with a skilled opponent
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Video Links