Why take up Martial Arts - Capability of Being Dangerous

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Why take up Martial Arts - Capability of Being Dangerous

Postby everything on Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:15 am

Any idjit can pick up a gun or knife. It's stupidly easy to harm another human being.

This is what usually happens, at least in the US, but probably everywhere.

A lot of people are incredibly dangerous just driving a car, whether they have road rage or are just idiots

Arguably your MA can maybe help you somewhat in those cases
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:25 am

Develop the capability to use your Might to fight for Right.

That's martial virtue (wu-de) at it's finest, and it is as good of a reason as any to study and train martial arts, i.e. the skilled ability to protect and defend yourself, your family, your property, and those who are incapable of defending themselves against unsolicited assault.

It definitely evens the playing field when would-be assailants suddenly learn unexpectedly that anyone can potentially be a dangerous enemy, regardless of gender, size, age, or outward appearances.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:31 pm

Trying to learn some kind of political might to fight for right.

The earth needs defending from humans or all humans are threatened.

Mostly failing as is everyone else.
Last edited by everything on Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:30 pm

The thing you have to understand is that virtue is not evolutionarily advantageous.
Evolution progresses towards producing a creature that is more fit for the environment. More capable of acquiring and keeping the resources it needs to survive and pass on its genetic legacy, not the nicest ones. We are descended from some dangerous animals.

Experiments show intelligence and clear perception are anomalies that breed out. Any apparent progress is quickly lost to entropy and opportunistic sociopaths extracting the real value for their hoard.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bob on Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:19 am

Regardless of ideology (and it's not easy to pigeon hole it) he is and was a sharp, articulate academic - his academic record is clear and speaks for itself - many of his critics are blinded by emotional reaction and fail to go beyond any perceived ideology.

Another insight into what makes someone "dangerous":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc7xd2ZfRzk

As far as being dangerous, over 60% of the close martial artists I have trained with now conceal and carry their handguns which is completely legal where I live - everyone I know is super careful to who they challenge regardless of their superior martial arts skills
Last edited by Bob on Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:48 am

Bob wrote:Regardless of ideology (and it's not easy to pigeon hole it) he is and was a sharp, articulate academic - his academic record is clear and speaks for itself - many of his critics are blinded by emotional reaction and fail to go beyond any perceived ideology.

Another insight into what makes someone "dangerous":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc7xd2ZfRzk

As far as being dangerous, over 60% of the close martial artists I have trained with now conceal and carry their handguns which is completely legal where I live - everyone I know is super careful to who they challenge regardless of their superior martial arts skills

Okay, he was a professor. He is dishonest about his qualifications. His student reviews talk more about how he changed their lives than the command of the material. He speaks on subjects he has absolutely NO credentials to speak on, yet people like you eat it up like the word of God.

Tell you what, watch that video I posted, watch half of it, watch the first ten minutes. If you still think his sharp mind is worth paying attention to, well then have a great time with all that.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bob on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:53 am

You have absolutely no idea what I think of him let alone academia - typical LOL
Last edited by Bob on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:51 am

Yep, firearms make everyone equal. So, "why take up Martial Arts?"

Imo, the issue always comes down to "why" one is going to kill someone else, not the weapon. If you pull a knife on someone, hope they're not willing to take it and cut your throat. I know several martial artists who concealed carry, or are leos. The same issue applies. Pulling the trigger is far easier than making the decision to shoot.

Yeah. We have no shortage of "dangerous" men out there. Of course, some might say that those who worry about them the most are the weakest. Which is also why most people who take up martial arts are the weak who are trying to get stronger. Suntzu argues that war must be studied because the weak states need to defend themselves from the strong. Being strong is a virtue when it is used to protect the weak; otherwise, it's just tyranny.

Afa JP, I'm only interested in who he thinks is attacking him and why they need to be shot. Does he live in a high crime area?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:03 am

Bob wrote:You have absolutely no idea what I think of him let alone academia - typical LOL

I mean...
he is and was a sharp, articulate academic -

Are we having the same conversation?

He is an addle-brained fool that speaks garbage philosophy
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:26 am

So Darwinism puts us at the top and is what kills us (perhaps).

I guess that’s when the meek will inherit the earth.

When the Apex Predators offed themselves
everything
Wuji

Postby Bob on Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:45 pm

Dr. Peterson's partial academic background (Ph.D. McGill University)

Associate Professor of Psychology at Harvard

Full Tenured Professor at the University of Toronto

Professor Emeritus - University of Toronto

You say he doesn't have the qualifications to speak on a number of controversial areas yet you make judgements about his academic background.

Exactly what are your qualifications for judging academic status and achievement?
Last edited by Bob on Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:56 pm

When the Apex Predators offed themselves

If it depended on strength, we wouldn't have become the Apex predators on the planet.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:28 pm

We can also appreciate the terrible irony while we eradicate our own species
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:32 pm

Being an apex species does not equate to being apex predators. Behaviorally, we're much more aligned with herd animals than true predators.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:27 am

direct comparisons between animals and humans can be problematic. Taking them too literally could be one such problem.

But anyway.. just wanted to chime in, and not watched the video.. (sorry!)

He's become a pretty divisive character that's for sure, but having read his book over the summer (12 rules), I have to say overall i quite like him. I thought the book was good - certainly much more good than anything bad... But maybe that's just my own culture and leanings. I feel a bit 'old school' these day, to say the least.

I don't go in for all the culture war stuff much, I just don't like it.. but I can't deny that my natural lean is toward the 'conservative' side, if i can call it that. I think his religious/mythological leanings also come into things. I dig that stuff a lot, the approach he takes to that.

At first I liked a few interviews I saw; you can tell straight away he's real smart and a great talker. A good sophist, who is very good at choosing his words.
Later I read and heard some of the criticism of him and kind of was on the fence about it all. A few years back I was reconnecting with a really dear old friend, someone I respect and who was smart and sophisticated in her own right (lawyer, mother, artist). She really was the last person I would have expected to be this huge Jordon Peterson fan given what I had heard about him.

Anyway this year another friend of mine rocked up to stay with me for a week or so and had his book, 12 Rules, with him, so that's how I got to read it. I'm really glad i did, it's the kind of thing I want to give to my kids to read when they get a bit older.

My sister on the other hand, the clinical psyche.. Oh my, she can't stand the guy. I think she hangs out on psyche forums ripping into his stuff with other like minded folk. lol. I don't really get the hate, or maybe I do.. But when I insisted to her, well, have you read that book? it's good! She's like no, I don't have to, I know what he thinks and says and so on.. Let's just say I don't think we'll be having that conversation any time soon round the dinner table again. :)
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links