Tim Cartmell Bagua and Xingyi forms

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tim Cartmell Bagua and Xingyi forms

Postby cloudz on Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:12 pm

the devil is in the detail
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:15 pm

wayne hansen wrote:All though not common there were teachers of these arts in the west when I started in 73
Tim didn’t go to Taiwan until 84 so I’m not sure what you mean by the earliest

I never said Tim was the "earliest".
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:24 pm

In his own words:

6:20 and beyond gives you a good idea how he has evolved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de3HLG681bk

Rolled Up Episode 27: The Never ending path of a martial artist with Tim Cartmell

Bob
Great Old One

Postby leftwose on Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:05 pm

I've been gone for years but it is so nice to find some stability in these trying times. Good to see RSF is and will always be RSF

.conal.
leftwose
Anjing

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:46 am

Mr Cartmell has shown that he is, and has always been an excellent competitor and has competed with the best of many martial practitioners, regardless of style, something that few of us, including myself have never done when compard to his ability to mix it up with anyone. I can say that in Taiwan, there were central figures who studied under one another and they were numerous. Here are sonme names: Luo Dexiu, Zhang JUnfeng, Hong YIxang and a host of others under a similar umbrella.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:33 am

Can’t quite workout what you are saying there
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:59 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Can’t quite workout what you are saying there

I'm late to this party, Tim trained alongside my instructor with his instructor in Taiwan - I was told by my instructor when I asked that he was legit so I believe it as I've never met the man and that he has a black belt in BJJ is an accomplishment I respect but your personal mileage with it may vary.

As for the rest of the conversation - didn't see this particular video, don't really care. I saw that Wayne asked about his fight record - in what universe does a TMA stylist care about a fight record? Do you mean MMA? Kickboxing? Back alley Bei Mo? Barfights? Pick a lane.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:05 am

I can’t be bothered going back
I think I was responding to the statement that someone said he was a great fighter
So I asked about his fights
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:49 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I can’t be bothered going back
I think I was responding to the statement that someone said he was a great fighter

::)
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby origami_itto on Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 am

wayne hansen wrote:I can’t be bothered going back

http://www.shenwu.com/background.htm

You competed in some full contact tournaments in Taiwan. What did you learn from this experience?

After I had been training in Taiwan about six months, my Xing Yi Quan teacher entered me in a full contact tournament. Though I lost, it was an enlightening experience for me. Although there were few rules in these matches, there was a certain strategy that applied, much different from a street fight for example. Many of the Chinese fighters are extremely tough, and they usuallv dominate the international competitions there. Competing with them I gained valuable experience and insight into my own methods of training. I went back to revise my training based on my experiences and, a few months later, I entered another full contact competition. The organizers put me up into the light heavyweight division although at the time I was only 150 lbs. I took first place in the division and came through without injury. This experience was very valuable as it indicated my training methods were on the right track. The next year I entered one of the larger international tournaments. I won again, taking first place in the middleweight division. I feel these competitions gave me a wealth of valuable experience. I think the most important lessons I learned from these fights was that you can never practice the basics too much. You need to be a well rounded fighter, but knowing a thousand techniques you can do beautifully when there is no real pressure is not nearly as valuable as mastering a few techniques you can actually use in a real fight. It is, however, vital to be exposed to all areas of fighting. In order to be able to maintain mental calm and physical relaxation under pressure, you must be proficient in striking, wrestling and grappling arts. Sparring with skilled, non-cooperative opponents is a must if you hope to be able to use your art in a real fight. Finally, your mind-set and attitude will almost always prove to be the ultimate determinate of your victory or defeat.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links