Tim Cartmell Bagua and Xingyi forms

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tim Cartmell Bagua and Xingyi forms

Postby cloudz on Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:58 pm

what does it say about us Wayne, other than we like his martial arts work and or like him. He's always come across as a nice guy who talks good sense about MA and Chinese arts.

honestly some of the things you come out with sometimes.. I'm not some expert on him, but I get the feeling he's gravitated away from the Chinese internals over the years, more towards BJJ/ MMA nowadays. I did listen to the recent podcast with Graham which was cool.

Anyway, I think you're reading a bit too much into it with that last post. Never mind, each to their own I guess.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:03 pm

If you revisit the first page Wayne, you will notice that Hsu, and other teachers, were brought up as part of Tim's experience in response to you saying what Tim showed looks like it was learnt from a book... hence, he didn't learn Xing Yi from a book.
Last edited by Fubo on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:12 pm

cloudz wrote:what does it say about us Wayne, other than we like his martial arts work and or like him. He's always come across as a nice guy who talks good sense about MA and Chinese arts.

Exactly. Tim always comes across as a nice and practically mind guy, and I enjoy his insights into CMA and martial arts in general.
Last edited by Fubo on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:43 pm

With all due respect for Mr. Cartmell, and BKF, and many others;

There is nothing special about these people other than they were first. They worked hard, just like everyone else, and picked up quite a few interesting forms and skills.

They trained with the respected masters of their day -- more or less -- many legendary names.

You will excuse me for seeming to minimize their great achievements, I only seek to encourage others by pointing out anyone can do it :) All you need is a dream :)
Appledog
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:36 pm

wayne hansen wrote:It is interesting that the only people who agree with me do it on the back channel

Exactly. I think it says a lot more about them than you realise. Shot yourself in the foot there didn't you.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:06 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:23 pm

Just checked both my feet are intact
They might just not want to deal with all the fan boys
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:53 am

rather be a fanboy than a hater any day of the week.

like appledog points out; hard work, dedication to something
it's not about special, it's about respect.
he's put things out that have helped people on the way
people appreciate that.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:42 am

Not a hater a realist
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:40 am

I know hater is a bit strong, but so is fanboy.. lol

I got no beef with you Wayne - I think we're all entitled to an opinion. critique is allowed and so on. but fairness and balance is a thing too. Giving certain people, the benefit of the doubt etc.

being a 'realist' about form in this case, i find an odd thing, maybe it's just me.

It's not my bag. I mean I made some critical comments about a wing chun schools demo on another forum a short while ago - it included wooden dummy work by the instructor; but if you saw it you would find my comments perfectly understandable I think.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:09 am

hey, let's watch this for some perspective
you can't blame the students, just wait for the instructor to demo on the wooden dummy
the least I'd hope for from a wing chun guy, is stability and some fast hands..

Last edited by cloudz on Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:04 pm

Some perspective

Grand Master Sunny Tang (Dunn Wah), a second generation student of the late Grandmaster Yip Man and disciple of Grandmaster Moy Yat, introduced Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) Kung Fu to Canada in 1973 with the establishment of Sunny Tang Martial Arts Centre.

After training in Ving Tsun for more than a decade in his home town of Hong Kong, Sunny Tang moved to England in 1971. After 2 years, Master Tang immigrated to Toronto, Canada, where he started the first Sunny Tang Martial Arts Centre. Over the years, many people from different professions, cultures and martial arts systems have benefited from practicing Ving Tsun under Master Tang.

To date, more than ten Ving Tsun Centres have been established by Master Tang and his senior students across Canada, making it one of the nations largest Martial Arts institutions.

His contribution both as a martial artist and community leader have earned him much respect and admiration from his students, other martial artists, his community and his country. Recognized for his many achievements and contributions, he received the Canada Day Achievement Award in 1990. In 1992, this recognition earned Master Tang the unique opportunity to perform for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, during Canada's 125th anniversary celebrations.

https://www.ewingchun.com/sifus/sunny-t ... n-wah#more

Not a fan of wing chun....know of it through a high school friend who used to train with Chris Chan. Noted for his wc in San Francisco...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCnZPBX5zfg

My friend lost the match in one of the full contact matches of the day,,,to another friend of mine, studying what was called Chinese Kick boxing.
Talked with both of them their on the night of the event, kinda funny ;D

Have interacted with a few wc people trying chi sao with me...
didn't work out to well for them....different type of sensitivity...

Tai mantis, also uses the wooden dummy for training....
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:14 pm

That’s the most internal. Internal wing chun I have seen
A good way to change the subject is to first hide the clip then put up some really bad wing chun
Just one question did all those defending the clip see it before it was redacted
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:30 pm

Just to be clear, I never actually defended the clip, I placed no judgement on it either way, because while I personally don't train Bagua the same way, I would extend the benefit of doubt to Tim that he is doing what he's doing for specific reasons which may not be totally clear to the viewer.
All I pointed out was that Tim has trained with a number of high quality teachers and tests what he learns and trains.
I have been a fan of Tim's books, and I am a male, so I guess "fanboy" would technically be accurate lol.
Last edited by Fubo on Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:40 pm

Fubo wrote:Just to be clear, I never actually defended the clip, I placed no judgement on it either way, because while I personally don't train Bagua the same way, I would extend the benefit of doubt to Tim that he is doing what he's doing for specific reasons which may not be totally clear to the viewer.
All I pointed out was that Tim has trained with a number of high quality teachers and tests what he learns and trains.
I have been a fan of Tim's books, and I am a male, so I guess "fanboy" would technically be accurate lol.

No listing in your information about anything you’ve trained , or how long.
Mentioned this, in trying to understand a reference point for others’ perceptions .
As you mentioned, your training is different what would you point out as being different?

Tim, has written many books on internal arts, documenting them, but does not necessarily follow the precepts in his own practice from the reading I’ve done .

Could be mistaken or maybe what I’ve read is not very clear .
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links