testing

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

testing

Postby windwalker on Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:26 am

One of my teachers early students....in his 70s at the time of clip 2002
Reflecting some of how things were taught and tested...

The type of "ph" a little different using the ability to move within ones frame while
still maintaining it....

All "things" / questions, tried and tested, as shown the visitor attempting to use it on the senior while the senior
counters what as shown, and then counter's to the counter practiced

good fun :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN26N38uydY
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: testing

Postby origami_itto on Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:06 pm

I absolutely love the last push at the end like he isn't even thinking about it, right through dude's strong angle.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Giles on Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:31 am

Yes, that's nice, skilled work by the old guy.

Just as a marginal note: Generally speaking, and certainly if the other person is someone I don't know well who has come to test me, I wouldn't let his hand move around so freely by my neck and face, such as happens around 0:30 sec. You never know what some people might do, either intentionally or as an aggressive reflex, when they start being pushed around. (Or even from the get-go). Even if you're treating them in a friendly way, such as the old guy is doing here. That doesn't mean one should start blocking or tensing up, just use sensitive touch and yielding to make sure that the other person can't even get their hand to that place. It's good martial practice in tuishou anyway, and it's a good safety procedure for the maybe 1 in 50 chance that the other guy doesn't have himself under control and starts to grab or hit or freak out in some other way.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:22 am

:)

For the most part, the people who came felt something very different, able to experience it with out getting hurt
in the process.

Some in the group did have an informal fight club that would meet late in the evening..
for those seeking a little more..

;D there is no pushing around,

In fact there is no pushing....only receiving and issuing

The young guy can not apply force to Mr Lo, "the old guy " :) while Mr, Lo, can issue at any point with any part of his body, or even using the others body,
at any time he chooses....

It's different . The whole body is the hand,,,,
there is no point that can not receive force nor which can not issue force.
There is no "place" that is defended, nor is there any one point that is used offensively.

No "other"

"kong jin" part of the skill set our teacher cultivated, often misunderstood, as part of an over all method that depends on certain underling skills sets that allow it to be developed according to one's ability,,,In this not all are the same....as with any high level skill set.

Whether touched or not the "process" is the same

As such it's not really possible to "push hands" as is normally done,,,
What is reacted with not based on contact.
One soon finds this out very quickly,,,Either adapting trying to use or understand how to use less force,, not able to not use force yet.
or depending on who they interact with, get tossed to the ground.

Although our teacher kept a low profile, many would come, longtime practitioners from different styles or guest from other areas to pay their respects, and do some informal testing of their own..many staying after feeling something quite different.

Have worked in the bay area, and other places with many long time taiji group leaders or practitioners seeking to understand this method
feeling their own method is missing something...many echoing some of the "concerns" posted here, able to understand at first touch, the difference..

One of the main ideas being able to move inside ones body, or outside...
based on the understanding and use of how the body / mind works according to Chinese theory...

Taiwan a couple yrs back, interacting with some of the locals good times... :)
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Giles on Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:13 am

A lot of things you mention in your last post, mostly about principles. Some of these things I certainly agree with, a few I would reserve judgement on. None of what you said actually addresses or refutes the observation I made - maybe that isn't your direct concern. But as I said, it was only a marginal note. And more importantly, I like what the old guy does in the video. So peace be unto all.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:35 am

a little more of our work,
Mr Zhao, :)

Solo work, demonstrated application in use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z97UdAc5QKw
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Video Links