TBMAG Push Hands Retreat Nov 22

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: TBMAG Push Hands Retreat Nov 22

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:13 pm

windwalker wrote:
robert wrote:
origami_itto wrote: I actually got this correction from Alex Dong a year ago (and Doc in ...what 2015???) but ... you know... shit takes a while to burn in.

Absolutely. I asked Chen Bing to teach me how to sink into the kuas in 2005. That's a tough row to hoe. In 2013 I started working with CXX and his teaching method was to sink. Every alternation, every change, sink. And at that time, I wasn't song enough to do it correctly. It took a few more years to get song kua. I'm still working on it.

Dong Yingjie writes about a similar approach in his taiji manual.

The mind must perform alternations nimbly, and then you will have the qualities of roundness and liveliness. The Thirteen Dynamics Song says to pay attention to the alternation of empty and full.

...The alternations of intention are like a flask half full of water: tip it to the left and it floods the left half, or tip it to the right and it floods the right half. If it can be like this, not only will you have obtained the qualities of roundness and liveliness, there will also be pleasure in the movements of your hands and feet. Once in such a delightful state, nobody could stop you from practicing if they tried.

I have friends who studied with Dong Kaiying who said he used this analogy as well.

"Song" does indeed take awhile to develop,,maybe even longer to understand the point of attaining it....
not using force..

Dong Kaiying, used to teach in HI I believe...
along with some of the other family members...

Alex, his father Dong Zeng Chen, and Dong Hu Ling were there, don't know who else.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby robert on Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:30 pm

windwalker wrote:Dong Kaiying, used to teach in HI I believe...

He's been in the LA area since the early '70's.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:39 pm

robert wrote:
windwalker wrote:Dong Kaiying, used to teach in HI I believe...

He's been in the LA area since the early '70's.

Interesting I know some of the Tung family taught in HI...might have been mistaken he being one of them...

Tung/Dong style my first intro into taiji....As taught through "Sam and Peter"

Sam, as he liked to be called was in many ways ahead of his time.
Having come from a hard style back ground his hands were gnarled not with age but with the training
he did as a much younger man toughing them on coconut trees growing on the island.

I can still hear him in his Hawaiian accented pidgin English,

“and now we use the good old American right hook ” ;D
when going over how his taiji worked.

Peter would go on to open his own taiji gym...now on the big island
some history

He was first introduced to Taijiquan in 1970 after returning from Air Force basic training. He quickly became dedicated to the study of Taijiquan. The initial five years of instruction took place under Master Sam Kekina and Master Tung HuLing at the Hsu Yun Buddhist Temple in Nuuanu valley not far from where he lived. There he learned the 108 Long Form, Fast Form, Push Hands, Da Lu, Double edged sword and Broadsword of the Tung family style.

http://taijihawaii.com/pages/bio_evolution15.html
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:03 am

Finally had time watching some of it. I don't think it's fair to comment someone if you can't touch hands and can't show.

However, I have my own "6 Golden rules" to myself that I try to follow when I play PH with others. No one has really told me this or verbally explained these points. But I have learned from teachers and have tried to verbalize what they do.

1. Follow and attach to you opponent at distance.
If he moves slightly - you move, adjust and change. If he moves horizontally and vertically, follow or change.

2. Never be at the distance your partner wants to be (I.e. to control the distance),
You can be closer or further away than he wants to be. But never at his favorable distance.

3. Never let your opponent aim directly straight forward at you,
so always move him, or you, into an angular position (I.e. to control the angle)

4. Dominate the space - Never compromise your own "Frame" and keep his hands at a distance.
At the same time, you try to close in on him. You should try to make him collapse his space while you keep yours.

5. Control the contact point. Never let the opponent rest his hands where he wants to rest them.

6. Always keep the touch as light as possible contact as possible. Never offer any resistance, never let your opponent put pressure at you.

So:
Attach at distance,
control distance,
control angle,
dominate space,
control the contact point,
light touch, no pressure
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One