Huangs "worked" wrestling match

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Huangs "worked" wrestling match

Postby cloudz on Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:30 am

I do find it a bit revealing that there are folks who 'still' believe this is a real match.

It's not. the first 'action' is a supposed expert Chinese wrestler falling down to what amounts to a 'hand wave'
Anyone who has been near real wrestling and grappling competition can look at this and see it for what it is.
A demonstration set up; an exhibition, yes, but with a set agenda. Nice Theatre, just like modern wrestling Entertainment.

What does it mean when a modern day Taiji practitioner looks upon this footage as realistic ?

Last edited by cloudz on Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Re: Huangs "worked" wrestling match

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:36 am

In 1955, Huang participated in a Guoshu tournament in Taiwan. He won in the push hand division and then went on to challenge the champion of the free-fighting division, a Cha Quan expert called Zhang Yinjiang (張英健). Zhang, who was well-versed in Cha Quan and Shuaijiao, managed to beat Huang in just one round despite being almost 20kg lighter.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:23 am

No Doubt. Thanks CJW, that's a cool bit of information.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cgtomash on Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:10 am

cloudz wrote: the first 'action' is a supposed expert Chinese wrestler falling down to what amounts to a 'hand wave'

Here is a better copy of the film ... It does look like Huang hooks his right foot behind the left foot of the wrestler before he went down.

cgtomash
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:26 am

As far as I know Huang was the boxing champion of Fukien Provence when he was 22 before he went to Taiwan
I have heard he was in the big broadsword battalion in ww2
He had an altercation with our Grandmaster when he came to Penang
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:20 am

I go to watch local pro wrestling events with my son - it's great! I wish more 'martial artists' would get off their high horse and go and watch them - support local wrestlers, those guys put a lot on the line every time for very little pay.

Here's a thought - just because it is choreographed doesn't mean it's not "real" - those people really do things I can't do, like jump off the top rope and do a back flip for one :)
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:33 am

I don't not watch pro wrestling because it's fake. I don't watch it because it just isn't entertaining or interesting to me in any way. I'd rather play a board game with my kids.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:41 am

cloudz wrote:I do find it a bit revealing that there are folks who 'still' believe this is a real match.

It's not. the first 'action' is a supposed expert Chinese wrestler falling down to what amounts to a 'hand wave'
Anyone who has been near real wrestling and grappling competition can look at this and see it for what it is.
A demonstration set up; an exhibition, yes, but with a set agenda. Nice Theatre, just like modern wrestling Entertainment.

What does it mean when a modern day Taiji practitioner looks upon this footage as realistic ?

What do you think it means?

Also, what kind of Taijiquan do you practice? Who are you learning from?
Last edited by origami_itto on Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:34 am

I don’t worry about what is shown in these clips or any other demos
It’s weather people can use their art
I know people who could fight who tested Huang and plenty of others
Just like my FMA teachers they did the real thing in WW2 acting as gurillars behind Japanese lines
I don’t know why people find the need to keep bringing up these old clips
They are what they are
If you want reality there are plenty of places to test yourself these days
I find it is only people who lack belief in their own ability or those they trained with who keep rehashing this stuff
Most of those who do show little of themselves and what they do show is mostly of low standard
Huang had plenty of hard style fighters for students who I’m sure tested him from time to time
His son inlaw is a prime example
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:45 pm

I ran the video through a stabilization filter and cut off the stuff at the beginning. Maybe this is easier to watch?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XAMEnmECr4
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:19 am

GrahamB wrote:I go to watch local pro wrestling events with my son - it's great! I wish more 'martial artists' would get off their high horse and go and watch them - support local wrestlers, those guys put a lot on the line every time for very little pay.

Here's a thought - just because it is choreographed doesn't mean it's not "real" - those people really do things I can't do, like jump off the top rope and do a back flip for one :)

No, I do appreciate that thought. I'm happy to praise it for what it is. Just not what it isn't.
That's all.

I got into a private conversation with someone who was basing their idea of what Tai chi should "look like' in use off of what amounts to a bout of WWF.
How is that credible when it's based off something like what you just described ?

Looking on it as a demo is not a problem for me, but people don't see it as that, they see it as this is how TCC can deal with a genuine wrestler wrestling. Is that not a bad idea ?

The difference here G, is you can tell the difference, when people can't tell the difference it means they have a false idea and false reality of TCC as well as wrestling. So to my mind you can't take anything they say seriously or credibly. Credibility needs to be earned or displayed. Not just demanded because you did *something* for twenty years.
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:42 am

I honestly don't get these obsessions.

Study Taijiquan, find out for yourself if it works, keep studying or drop it.

It's not rocket appliances.

I don't doubt that an accomplished Taijiquan master in 1970 would have no trouble making a retired wrestler look foolish.

But even if it was a staged match for charity, what does it matter? Does your taijiquan work? Are you throwing stuff into it to make it work like you think it should? Who cares what Huang Sheng Shyan did, he isn't paying your bills.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:26 pm

He’s paying a lot of peoples bills
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Video Links