Wu (Hao) style Taijiquan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wu (Hao) style Taijiquan

Postby dacheng on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:27 am

Just realized that I haven't been posting any Wu 武 style Taijiquan (aka Hao style) clips here. And it's quite a few years since I started this style in master Zhai Weichuan's line. In 2019 started learning directly from Zhai, but then covid started and couldn't go back to China since.

On this clip is Li Yang, a young assistant in master Zhai Weichuan's school.

dacheng
Wuji

Re: Wu (Hao) style Taijiquan

Postby robert on Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:30 pm

Nice clip, thanks for posting.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:35 am

V nice, the Wu (Hao) spear jibengong looks almost identical to Yang style spear as shown by Fu Zhongwen, etc. :)
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby dacheng on Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:05 am

Zhao Xiaoqing demonstrating 46 form.

Zhao Xiaoqing is Zhai Weichuan's disciple, from whom I learned before I met Zhai directly.

46 form is basicaly Wu/Hao competition form, but in Zhai's school some movements in this form are practiced like in his main form, and not like people usually do it at competition.

dacheng
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:25 pm

I noticed that in Zhao's version of the form, compared to Shanghai Hao group, he sinks deeper into the stances, moves are more 'obvious', kicks are done fast, and also there is even some fajin near the end.

Care to comment on the differences? Another case of gongfu requirements being toned down by later generations to make it easier to learn over time?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:43 am

I like it but the sequence puzzles me
Hao always mystifies mea bit
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:49 am

I'm looking forward to getting into the Hao stuff. I want to finish up study of the Dong simplified and then get their Yang form nailed and then I figure I'd be able to get the most out of it.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:41 am

I noticed that in Zhao's version of the form, compared to Shanghai Hao group, he sinks deeper into the stances, ... Another case of gongfu requirements being toned down by later generations to make it easier to learn over time?

I guess most people teaches Wu/Hao (and also Sun) styles more as health practice and not as a martial art. Old Wu is practiced quite dynamic and some old schools have quite strenuous gong practice for beginners. Hao was adjusted from Old Wu, just as modern Yang and Chen styles were modified, to be practiced by large groups in public. So deeper stances and more focus on "gong" is, IMO, better.

Old Wu version:
https://youtu.be/nffsvMZiEak
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:34 am

That Old Wu clip is v v nice, sunken, rooted, connected but with obvious power...I take it this was from the Shanxi group who learned from Dong Yingjie's teacher Li Baoyu?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:02 am

origami_itto wrote:I'm looking forward to getting into the Hao stuff. I want to finish up study of the Dong simplified and then get their Yang form nailed and then I figure I'd be able to get the most out of it.

Surely you must have collected more than enough different forms by now to finally select whichever one best suits you and then simply work it until you master it.

Real high level skill doesn't manifest from learning more forms, more drills, more weapons, more supposed fighting applications, or more of anything other than more practice of one method, rather than a little practice of many methods. Just saying from my own experience. ymmv.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:24 am

Doc Stier wrote:
origami_itto wrote:I'm looking forward to getting into the Hao stuff. I want to finish up study of the Dong simplified and then get their Yang form nailed and then I figure I'd be able to get the most out of it.

Surely you must have collected more than enough different forms by now to finally select whichever one best suits you and then simply work it until you master it.

Real high level skill doesn't manifest from learning more forms, more drills, more weapons, more supposed fighting applications, or more of anything other than more practice of one method, rather than a little practice of many methods. Just saying from my own experience. ymmv.

I've been working the first section of the simplified form for a year now. Don't practice any other forms currently. Just now feeling confident enough to move into the second section.

The Dong style "Yang" long form is a further development of the simplified form concepts with more moves mixed in.

The Fast set is basically fast/small frame/usage Yang.

The Hao stuff has got some different mechanics, I'm not intimately familiar with the details yet.

The dong yie iie fajin set is a mix of Hao and Yang and whatever else he felt like throwing into the mix.

I'm not working on a form, though, I'm working on myself. Different forms are just different expressions of my body, different ways to feel and move and explore. In this case they are additive/cumulative, a progression. Simplified supports Long supports fast and hao supports fajin.

Would you tell a musician to only master one song?

The T.T. Liang and Huang Sheng Shyan are good stuff but I think the Dong curriculum has a lot more to offer so I'm not practicing them anymore.

I love comparing forms and the concerns of various lineages. Some will tell you things are impossible that others show is quite simple. Some stress concerns as critical that others don't bother with. The comparison of the evolution of the movements through various telephone games is likewise enlightening. It's like watching a foreign film with captions AND subtitles each produced by a different company, sometimes you're reading a completely different conversation than you're hearing.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:31 am

I usually agree with Mr Stier, but here I have a little bit different opinion. If you haven’t already practiced Xyq or bgz, I recommend practicing some Hao or Sun. It’s not because of learning new form, but because of the dynamic footwork, and you also practice … how to say … a more direct connection between hand and foot. Hao/wu and Sun has a liveliness that is different from Yang and Chen. It’s a good compliment and can enhance your overall understanding of Tai Chi. The footwork and livelinesses represents something that IMO all Tai Chi should have, but is seldom taught or practiced in Yang tai chi.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:44 pm

If you learn the Solo San Shou forms you have all the footwork you need
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:19 pm

I was really impressed by the difference of the Dong family's Hao form from the Chen and Yang Taiji I'd done in the past. The hard hands mechanics are very different and the energy flows are intense. The instructor mentioned that one had to to do the Yang style after the Hao because if one did the Hao second there would be too much to process.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:13 pm

Alex describes the energy of the Hao form (Kai-He from Hao to be specific) as like a muscle car. Powerful and sleek, not soft like the slow forms.
origami_itto
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links