Modern Traditional: The Hip Hinge

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Modern Traditional: The Hip Hinge

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:55 am

I've always thought of hip hinge as bending forward without sticking your butt out, but I suppose it works the other way too, like in the video where she pops her hips violently forward.

The same motion is used in BJJ guard passing sometimes.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:25 am

GrahamB wrote:I've always thought of hip hinge as bending forward without sticking your butt out, but I suppose it works the other way too, like in the video where she pops her hips violently forward.

Kind of like shrimping too, bending forward and shooting everything back butt first
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:08 am

hip hinge in lifts like deadlift and kb swings is supposed to have the butt "reach" backward and not be a "forward bend". I guess this may be to have the posture offset having the weighted object in front as well as to target the "posterior chain", not the quads and knees. not 100% sure. squats can be more of a hip hinge squat, but not necessarily. deadlift and kb swings are supposed to be hip hinges. it seems weird that "hip hinge" (coming from a lifting context) doesn't just mean hinge at hip from 180deg to 90deg like it sounds like.

not sure you'd need to do this in yoga down dog (edit: well I guess your butt "reaches up"), other yoga moves, the bjj examples you mention, in OP's martial arts forms, or other bodyweight moves.

so "hip hinge" usually means something specific (but strange to me) in strength training, and you may be using the term differently, and inadvertently equating two things that aren't the same thing by using one phrase for the two. maybe not. didn't read the thread too closely.

edit: or maybe it's more accurate to say that this particular folded position is done with/through some different movement patterns to start it or go through it.
Last edited by everything on Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:31 am

origami_itto wrote:
GrahamB wrote:I've always thought of hip hinge as bending forward without sticking your butt out, but I suppose it works the other way too, like in the video where she pops her hips violently forward.

Kind of like shrimping too, bending forward and shooting everything back butt first

I was thinking more about a leg drag from a standing position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-K4NNM2DDc
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:17 am

"Hip hinge" just means folding and unfolding the hips like a hinge. It doesn't matter whether the butt goes back, or not, in terms of whether or not it is a hip hinge. The hip hinge *exercise* when done in isolation may have requirements or cues like the butt going back, but that has to do with leverage for applying load, preventing knee bend, etc. Much like martial arts, the purpose is not to do the hip hinge a certain way for the sake of doing it that way, it's to develop strength and neurological patterning to be able to use the movement explosively in the real world. So because the butt does or does not go backward, or because there are also other mechanisms involved, doesn't make it not a hip hinge.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:34 pm

I feel thrusting the hips back is an error
Each day I practice the Tien Gan
One exercise you straighten the legs ,hip hinge and throw relaxed arms out in front
It is so easy to push the hips back but it breaks the transmission of energy from foot to hand
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:40 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I feel thrusting the hips back is an error
One exercise you straighten the legs ,hip hinge and throw relaxed arms out in front
It is so easy to push the hips back but it breaks the transmission of energy from foot to hand

Typically the emphasis/explosion is on the forward movement, using the butt muscles to provide power. Coaches spend a lot of time talking about the hips going backwards because that's where people start bending their knees and doing all sorts of goofy stuff that makes them unsuccessful at the exercise.

How it relates to shenfa is a whole other conversation, and likely has to be shown/felt in order to come to any kind of shared understanding.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:23 pm

It seems much / most? Of this advice is to protect the knees and back.

I’m thinking mainly of heavy deadlifts.

Don’t do it following this advice and injury risk might be too high.

I forgot what OP wanted to compare.

Might be apples and oranges (despite the hinge looking identical) due to different movement patterns for different objectives.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:53 am

wayne hansen wrote:I feel thrusting the hips back is an error

Me too. I do Ba Duan Jin each day and the exercise where you bend forward to touch the toes I do without sending my butt backwards, as it keeps the necessary tension on the muscle/tendon channels 'active' all the way from feet up the back to top of the head. However, this 'stretching' aspect doesn't seem to be the purpose or rationale for all the hip hinges being talked about in this thread - I think it's irrelevant to the explosive forward movement bhassler is talking about, and it's not load-bearing, so if I was placing a heavy weight down I'd probably bend my knees more and let my butt go back because that would just make sense.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:31 pm

Nothing was mentioned about weights in the original post
It was about how it related to chi gung and hsing I
I think if you are talking about weight training it requires a thread of its own because I think people are talking about two different things
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:30 pm

problem is OP messed it up to begin with.

A hip hinge is a movement in which the hips move backwards and forwards while the spine remains neutral. It is often used as a foundational movement in strength training and functional fitness. The hip hinge is important because it allows the body to effectively transfer power from the legs to the upper body, and it is also a key movement pattern for activities such as deadlifts and kettlebell swings. To perform a hip hinge, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent. Then, hinge at the hips and push your butt backwards as if you were going to sit back into a chair. Make sure to keep your spine straight and avoid rounding your back.

(yes yes AI quote ... bold is from me)

if we say forget about "modern" (was in the thread title, though), maybe yoga down dog is a good reference that's older.

but if we say forget all that, i think we can throw out OP's question altogether, and there's no thread. :-\ ;D

if people cannot "see the usefulness" of down dog or deadlift (pick up heavy thing. put it down. repeat til strong), they have much larger problems than "MA applications" or arguing about "what is tai chi".
Last edited by everything on Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links