CMA in Japan - with young(er) Su Dong-chen

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: CMA in Japan - with young(er) Su Dong-chen

Postby williamwilson666 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Andy_S wrote:SNIP
Then again, if what another poster here said is true- that he considers Sakuraba an "exceptional fighter"- maybe I would be disappointed
SNIP

By virtually any standard, Saku IS an exceptional fighter. Why would Su's statement re this lead to your disappointment?

Su is a very rare beast: An IMA guy who can and does fight. The facts that:
(1) He does not believe in Qi; and
(2) He praises MMA fighters
Lends credence to his alleged good sense and combative abilities, IHMO.

A phrase like "I don't believe in Qi", only leads me to question either the motives or the intelligence of its' progenitor. It certainly does not imply authority in martial arts - though it doesn't necessarily negate it either.

Sakuraba is a good wrestler, I will grant you. However, I consider this no more significant a skill, by itself, than push hands, which does not by itself a great fighter make; much less a great "Martial Artist" in the traditional sense of the term, at least in the sense that I was made to understand it. I will just put this difference in perspective down to a difference in our experience of the martial arts and of martial artists.

Ian wrote:
I think you need to spar more.

I try to spar less. It aggravates my flatulance, which can make one very unpopular.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby Andy_S on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Wilson:

Oh, so Saku is a "good" wrestler, is he? Hmmm, he seems to have done rather well at the highest levels of MMA too where (correct me if I am wrong) there are some rather good kickboxers too. Ah, well...no doubt you would also be disappointed with Su Dong Chen's striking skills too, best not waste your time with him.

As for Su and qi - this question was asked by one particularly wankerdly former EF member who made the trip to Tokyo and asked him straight up. Said guy was a great beliver in mystical qi powers but at MA, alas, was a beginner. Even so, this one could not believe Su's naivette!

BTW, who do you train with?

BTW #2, you might want to stick a cork in your arse and try a bit of sparring....just a little, mind you, nothing excessive.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby williamwilson666 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:02 am

Andy_S wrote:BTW #2, you might want to stick a cork in your arse and try a bit of sparring....just a little, mind you, nothing excessive.

Now this, dear boy, sounds like a plan. I could then fire said cork at my opponent when he thinks he has the advantage like some makeshift biodegradable musket. Seldom are such practical and environmentally friendly self defence methods shared in this forum.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby Martin on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:34 am

Yeah, at 48 seconds he does a version of head smashes tombstone from xinyi liuhe, which he studied with Xu Wenzhong of Shanghai. Xiaoxiong - is that movement also in the xingyi form you mention?
Martin
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:06 am

I think it's a Da (big) Pi Quan, but perhaps it is related to the XYLH movement.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby chrislomas on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:02 pm

That motion is actually straight from Hung I Hsiang's 5 element linking chain (as is the follow on motion, but it does remind me of xinyi liuhe I have seen, I have often wondered at the connection.
chrislomas
Anjing

Postby Martin on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Cool - thanks guys.
Martin
Great Old One

Postby XiaoXiong on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Yes it's Da pi from our linking form called jin tui lian huan. A bit like head splits tombstone ala xylh in basic jing. Head smash tombstone was the first thing I learned from Mr. Qian btw. In my point of view it seems different in that it has more explicit sticking and grabbing in application for throwing or pulling down whereas I don't know if that idea is there in head smash tombstone or not, but it was not presented that way in the seminar. It seemed more like knocking/hitting down mostly. We do the form almost just like Su is doing it here.
J
Last edited by XiaoXiong on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links