Nice Sword Fight

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Nice Sword Fight

Postby Roll Back on Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:40 pm

Roll Back
Santi

Re: Nice Sword Fight

Postby Giles on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:28 am

Nicely made film. And practicing with dussaks! :D Good performers, too.
I guess the fight would have been over much more quickly, one way or the other, if they closed like they do here. Or they would have hung back more, waiting for an opening with less chance of oneself getting killed in the process.
Says me, the big duelling expert... ;) :P
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:15 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:44 am

The protagonist's teacher was a total dick. "Got a life and death duel coming up? Here, let's do some light practice so I can easily defeat you and make you feel like you suck before you fight that guy. Despair will help you fight better!"
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:10 am

I didn't think about that, but good point. Dramaturgically speaking, it establishes the protagonist as the underdog, so we root for him more and it make his eventual victory more 'satisfying'. As often, realism vs. dramatic necessity.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:50 am

Giles wrote:I didn't think about that, but good point. Dramaturgically speaking, it establishes the protagonist as the underdog, so we root for him more and it make his eventual victory more 'satisfying'. As often, realism vs. dramatic necessity.

Yeah, I get why they did it, but honestly it's just weak story telling. Even though it's weak and lazy, it's the standard for how things are done-- gotta dumb it down to the lowest common denominator. It's certainly no worse than the latest James Cameron bazillion dollar blockbuster, so don't take it as a serious criticism of the piece, it's just something I hate about today's storytelling.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:08 am

Sure, I get you. I should have said "perceived dramatic necessity". As regards storytelling, it's usually the formulaic approach and in fact it always has been through the ages. There was a ton of mediocre storytelling in various genres in past centuries, too. But this generally slips into oblivion and only the good stuff is retained/remembered for later ages.
Last edited by Giles on Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Roll Back on Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:24 pm

[youtube] https://youtu.be/zwi4Q-RGX8o[/youtube]
Roll Back
Santi

Return to Video Links