Nice Tung

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Nice Tung

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:54 pm

[youtube] https://youtu.be/dH1JGzqpTIo[/youtube]
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Nice Tung

Postby Trip on Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:19 am

Agreed :)
Last edited by Trip on Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trip
Wuji

Postby Giles on Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:07 am

I like it too. I wonder if she can translate this form ability into things like fixed-pattern or free tuishou and applications? To my mind, it would be a pity if she can't, but maybe she can. Generally speaking, I've never really been sure about the cultural ins and outs regarding Chinese women in tai chi, and my experience is too limited here.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:32 am

Very nice use of body mechanics, quite compact, which is something I appreciate
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:04 am

Giles wrote:I like it too. I wonder if she can translate this form ability into things like fixed-pattern or free tuishou and applications? To my mind, it would be a pity if she can't, but maybe she can. Generally speaking, I've never really been sure about the cultural ins and outs regarding Chinese women in tai chi, and my experience is too limited here.

Would you feel differently if it was a man? Why do you automatically assume here that she can't?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Giles on Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:26 am

Because the very great majority of all the tai chi ladies I have met who originated from 'Chinese' countries/cultures (PRC, Taiwan, Malaysia) had very little affinity with any kind of hands-on tai chi training. Especially those who did some kind of Yang style, as is also the case here. In contrast, in my experience the ethnically Chinese female practitioners who grew up in 'Western' countries tend to be more interested in, or willing and able to conduct, hands-on training. Some are really good or indeed excellent at it.

I can appreciate that my first statement might seem seem sexist. I certainly don't mean it that way. (Which still doesn't mean it isn't sexist, of course). In this case I was prompted by my admiration for the various qualities the lady shows in the video, I automatically wondered what her tuishou might be like, and then thought to myself 'oh, I guess she doesn't do much or any of that'. While I've always wished that 'Chinese' female tai chi practitioners did more hands-on stuff. However, there may well be all kinds of factors I can only dimly image which present barriers to them here. I would love to be proved wrong and discover that (nowadays) there are many more 'Chinese' women who train this area of tai chi.

This might all be very poorly considered on my part, but it was the thought process that led to my posting.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Giles on Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:37 am

Which reminds me... As far as I can tell, currently there are no active female contributors to RSF. (I could be wrong, but none spring to mind). Which I think is a huge pity. Although I can imagine that there are plenty of peripheral cultural factors on RSF that many female practitioners might find unattractive. I mean, the content description for the "Off the Topic" section of our (genuinely) esteemed forum begins: "Rum, beer, women,..."
:-\
But that's OT in this thread. More appropriate for, ho-hum, "Off the Topic"...
Giles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:40 am

Giles wrote:Because the very great majority of all the tai chi ladies I have met who originated from 'Chinese' countries/cultures (PRC, Taiwan, Malaysia) had very little affinity with any kind of hands-on tai chi training. Especially those who did some kind of Yang style, as is also the case here. In contrast, in my experience the ethnically Chinese female practitioners who grew up in 'Western' countries tend to be more interested in, or willing and able to conduct, hands-on training. Some are really good or indeed excellent at it.

I can appreciate that my first statement might seem seem sexist. I certainly don't mean it that way. (Which still doesn't mean it isn't sexist, of course). In this case I was prompted by my admiration for the various qualities the lady shows in the video, I automatically wondered what her tuishou might be like, and then thought to myself 'oh, I guess she doesn't do much or any of that'. While I've always wished that 'Chinese' female tai chi practitioners did more hands-on stuff. However, there may well be all kinds of factors I can only dimly image which present barriers to them here. I would love to be proved wrong and discover that (nowadays) there are many more 'Chinese' women who train this area of tai chi.

This might all be very poorly considered on my part, but it was the thought process that led to my posting.

I'm not trying to guilt trip you or anything. I just like to find hidden attitudes and prejudices in our thought and behavior patterns. Good stuff.

I don't know many but there's a Maggie ______ that does Dong/Tung out in texas. I've never seen her fight but the tui shou has some very strange aspects to it that you need to experience firsthand. I come away from drills with her feeling like I'm on some kind of cocaine-morphine speedball but like not so much I'm impaired if that makes any sense.

Dong Zhen Chen's wife is scary to touch.

There was another woman at the Austin workshop in 2021 that just ignored my root which was frustrating. Though her and Maggie are both American so... shrug
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:18 pm

Her form indicates her ability to apply it
My best students were always the women
I remember two I sent to a BJJ seminar
The teacher was blown out by their ability and wanted to know their background and why they were picking it up quicker than most of the karate full contact fighters that were there
In my own classes I noticed the males with long histories of training tried to undermine the woman who were surpassing them
The reason I posted the clip is I think she is the best member of the Tung family I have seen do form
I was wanting more clips or info on her
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:33 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Her form indicates her ability to apply it
My best students were always the women
I remember two I sent to a BJJ seminar
The teacher was blown out by their ability and wanted to know their background and why they were picking it up quicker than most of the karate full contact fighters that were there
In my own classes I noticed the males with long histories of training tried to undermine the woman who were surpassing them
The reason I posted the clip is I think she is the best member of the Tung family I have seen do form
I was wanting more clips or info on her

That's the Dong Ying Jie fast form and I believe the woman's name is Dong Moli
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:36 pm

Yep Dong Moli, Moli Dong, Jasmine Dong
https://youtu.be/13GYD2tjnpw
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:11 pm

Thanks for that
I know it’s the fast form I practiced both of Tungs fast forms for a couple of decades even though I no longer practice them
A student has been asking me to teach them to go with his other fast forms so I might start to practice them again soon
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:26 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Thanks for that
I know it’s the fast form I practiced both of Tungs fast forms for a couple of decades even though I no longer practice them
A student has been asking me to teach them to go with his other fast forms so I might start to practice them again soon

I figured you did but thought maybe future googlers may not
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trip on Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:21 pm

For those of you who may not know
She passed (2009?)
Trip
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:48 pm

Trip wrote:For those of you who may not know
She passed (2009?)

Sorry to hear... Condolences to family, friends, students

Also learned and practiced the fast forms along with the 108 "long set"...
watching her seems if I remember this was the second one...
smaller movements, or maybe more condensed might describe it better...

Not compatible with my work now...
different concept.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links