Chang Dongsheng's Yang Style Taijiquan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Chang Dongsheng's Yang Style Taijiquan

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuadSIMVJzQ

Chang Dongsheng's Yang Style Taijiquan#常东升#杨style Taijiquan

常东升的杨式太极拳#常东升#杨式太极拳

Very nice movement..
windwalker
Wuji

Re: Chang Dongsheng's Yang Style Taijiquan

Postby origami_itto on Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:01 pm

He does that thing i notice in a lot of videos where he kind of sticks his butt out in like single whip for example. Is that a stylistic affectation? What's the deal?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:25 am

origami_itto wrote:He does that thing i notice in a lot of videos where he kind of sticks his butt out in like single whip for example. Is that a stylistic affectation? What's the deal?

Don't really understand your point or what response you expect. "Leaning" and "kind of sticking the butt out" area two very different things. There's a method behind "leaning". Trying to just stick your but out would be wrong and is something I've never heard about in Tai Chi. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:17 am

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:He does that thing i notice in a lot of videos where he kind of sticks his butt out in like single whip for example. Is that a stylistic affectation? What's the deal?

Don't really understand your point or what response you expect. "Leaning" and "kind of sticking the butt out" area two very different things. There's a method behind "leaning". Trying to just stick your but out would be wrong and is something I've never heard about in Tai Chi. :P

I'm saying that's what it looks like, kind of awkward and broken looking.

If it's leaning, what is the point of leaning
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:58 am

You can find a lot of old tai chi videos w tai chi masters and practitioners have a more or less pronounced leaning: Dong Yingjie, Lee Ying-Arn, Yang Shouzhong etc. Why would you believe that they would lean for no reason? That would not make any sense at all. So there must be a reason, right? So, can't you use your own fantasy or intellectual capacity and come up with one or two reasons? :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:37 am

The idea that all TCC of any style should be performed with a vertically upright body at all times is a concept introduced in the 1970's through the widespread popularity at that time of the Cheng Man-Ching style.

Older photos of Yang and Wu Style TCC masters clearly illustrate that they did not consider this to be either necessary or desirable for effective live combat applications of form set postures.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:56 am

windwalker wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuadSIMVJzQ

Chang Dongsheng's Yang Style Taijiquan#常东升#杨style Taijiquan

常东升的杨式太极拳#常东升#杨式太极拳

Very nice movement..

Excellent find. Most of shuaijiao patterns conditioning/jibengong) are contained within that form. His static movement postures are a great training tool for integration and function.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:12 am

Doc Stier wrote:The idea that all TCC of any style should be performed with a vertically upright body at all times is a concept introduced in the 1970's through the widespread popularity at that time of the Cheng Man-Ching style.

Older photos of Yang and Wu Style TCC masters clearly illustrate that they did not consider this to be either necessary or desirable for effective live combat applications of form set postures.

Historical accounting of why it might be hard to say when, where or who introduced changes to the yang syllabus...accounting for changes...
Wu style

Of Luchan’s students, Wanchun (萬春) got his hard fajin, Lingshan (凌山) was adapt as throwing, and Quanyou (全佑) was skilled at neutralization.” So these were his three best students (besides his sons of course). Wangchun, Lingshan, and Quanyou were Manchurian guards working at Prince Duan’s palace

Zheng Man-Ching also learned from Zhang Qinlin

They said, "It doesn't look like the Yang style." "Well," I said, "It is the old Yang style." They said, "It doesn't look like the old Yang style that we have seen." And I said, "It is older than that." One of the two men, Zhang Pinqing, told me that after seeing this form demonstrated he realized that this style of taijiquan, while unlike any Yang style he had seen before, was exactly what he had been looking for. He saw that it matched perfectly the ideas and theories described in the taijiquan classics.

Regarding teacher Chang Dongsheng's taiji, what caught my eye was the many similar movements.....that my teacher Master Zhang Yongliang
張永良師傅 also practiced in our style...."throwing " one of. the 6 methods outlined in our practice although for various reasons not practiced as those arts that focus on it..

In the type of throwing done, there really is no recovery from the throw if done right with the right intent...They'er meant as one of many ways to end an encounter...
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:28 am

In Taiwan people have been doing taiji for decades, since about 1949. Before then, there were no people practicing taijiquan in Taiwan.
We can say that when you eat a certain type of food often, you get sick of it.
Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan is like a food too, but --
the more you eat it, the more you like it

Find the history quite interesting....

Many variations using the theme of taiji
depending on what one is looking for.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:08 am

origami_itto wrote:
Bao wrote:

I'm saying that's what it looks like, kind of awkward and broken looking.

If it's leaning, what is the point of leaning

Some applications of the form.

Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:18 pm

Chang does stick his but out at the weirdest points
It is just basic Yang nothing special
I have seen lots of his tai chi over the years and have yet to see any applications that I have not seen from my yang teachers
His leaning is not like that of the Wu which is consistant through out
Wu has some unique SJ applications like repulse monkey
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:00 pm

Bao wrote:You can find a lot of old tai chi videos w tai chi masters and practitioners have a more or less pronounced leaning: Dong Yingjie, Lee Ying-Arn, Yang Shouzhong etc. Why would you believe that they would lean for no reason? That would not make any sense at all. So there must be a reason, right? So, can't you use your own fantasy or intellectual capacity and come up with one or two reasons? :P

It's a discussion board, bro, let's discuss some things.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:04 pm

origami_itto wrote:
Bao wrote:You can find a lot of old tai chi videos w tai chi masters and practitioners have a more or less pronounced leaning: Dong Yingjie, Lee Ying-Arn, Yang Shouzhong etc. Why would you believe that they would lean for no reason? That would not make any sense at all. So there must be a reason, right? So, can't you use your own fantasy or intellectual capacity and come up with one or two reasons? :P

For sake of discussion: What are the mechanics of front cut (or osoto gari), coordination of hands (e.g., kuzushi) and throw, hips back (exercise flexibility/ROM), etc.? If you're too straight up, the opponent may counter you. Also, your ability to change with opponent's reactions—setting up another throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOIlR_suG04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHMgiC3taZA
marvin8
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:18 pm

marvin8 wrote:
origami_itto wrote:

For sake of discussion: What are the mechanics of front cut (or osoto gari), coordination of hands (e.g., kuzushi) and throw, hips back (exercise flexibility/ROM), etc.? If you're too straight up, the opponent may counter you. Also, your ability to change with opponent's reactions—setting up another throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOIlR_suG04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHMgiC3taZA

I have no clue man i don't do judo.

I haven't made any value judgment or statement, merely asked why he stuck his butt out.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:54 pm

Show me where in his form when he sticks his hips back that the move indicates the aforementioned Ossy gussy
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links