Mobilize Qi, Pull Silk — Adam Mizner

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Mobilize Qi, Pull Silk — Adam Mizner

Postby Bao on Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:19 am

origami_itto wrote:Maybe you just don't understand what you're seeing there?
Why would he need to change position? At the level he is operating that becomes irrelevant.

Regardless if you use qi, yi, or subtle or evident strength, you still need to affect your opponents balance and/or structure in some way. Which means you need to place yourself in such a way so you can add your pressure/movement/energy through the right direction and angle. So I understand exactly what I see here, Huang does not even try to catch his student's balance or structure. And he tries to use external force against the woman, there's absolutely nothing "internal" in that clip.

What is the purpose and end result of all this neigong?

IME, we all do it for different reasons. Purpose? Neigong will increase your internal awareness and body awareness, it will teach you important things about yourself and it will help you to understand your natural strength. Results? IDK... Well, this winter I have never closed my coat even once. When I go out I only wear a thin sweater beneath, never a hat or gloves, and I never feel cold. From a long time perspective, I can say that all of my Tai Chi friends who started their practice in their early teens, all look very young for their age, and also look very healthy.

But for martial arts purposes of Tai Chi, neigong will be worthless if you don't even have a basic foundation.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:31 am

Many interesting comments here. In my personal experience, both as a longtime student practitioner and as a professional teacher, the demonstration of real expertise in IMA style applications never requires anything other than the skill itself. It works quickly and effectively the first time and everytime on virtually everyone other than those more skilled in the same methods. Of course, as always, ymmv. ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:06 pm

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Maybe you just don't understand what you're seeing there?
Why would he need to change position? At the level he is operating that becomes irrelevant.

Regardless if you use qi, yi, or subtle or evident strength, you still need to affect your opponents balance and/or structure in some way. Which means you need to place yourself in such a way so you can add your pressure/movement/energy through the right direction and angle. So I understand exactly what I see here, Huang does not even try to catch his student's balance or structure. And he tries to use external force against the woman, there's absolutely nothing "internal" in that clip.

Which clip? I didn't see anything with Huang failing, but may have missed it. Relink?

There's a saying that "as soon as one touches the opponent's clothing, they can be thrown in any of 18 ways" It's not about repositioning or adding pressure through direction and angle in that way. Free circle.

You make contact, assume ownership. You don't need to fight for position.

IME, we all do it for different reasons. Purpose? Neigong will increase your internal awareness and body awareness, it will teach you important things about yourself and it will help you to understand your natural strength. Results? IDK... Well, this winter I have never closed my coat even once. When I go out I only wear a thin sweater beneath, never a hat or gloves, and I never feel cold. From a long time perspective, I can say that all of my Tai Chi friends who started their practice in their early teens, all look very young for their age, and also look very healthy.

But for martial arts purposes of Tai Chi, neigong will be worthless if you don't even have a basic foundation.

What basic foundation though?

And my point is just that it's not taekwondo. We work to create space in the body for movement to occur that is not (easily) externally visible.

It requires a structure but it's not about structure. You're talking about it in terms of judo, but it's more like a gun.

In essential terms. I maintain my zhong ding. When we make contact, I'm connected all the way down, I have all the position I need. On contact I can read which direction is empty and guide them into it. As they try to change to move or hide the empty angle I also adjust and whoever breaks first looses.

It may just be one of those hand to hand things, because I only really get it because it's been done to me, and can only really touch the tiniest piece of it in practice, but I have gotten to the point where I can start to throw somebody around a little when they grab my arm.

The leg demo here makes perfect sense to me, and it's a dramatization.

It's a demo, you want it to go well to illustrate the point, so you do the thing and have the student spice it up a little, right? You CAN do the thing, but if you are working with the same students over years they SHOULD be able to neutralize the things you're demonstrating, right? They SHOULD be getting better. So your students have to choose to not neutralize the jin in order to demonstrate it for the other students.

I run into this sometimes with people who give an instruction and when it approaches even close to correct they respond dramatically.

In both cases I believe the intent is to communicate an idea that the rest of the training should expound upon. In that sense, it's useful. I really have gotten a lot out of these two little clips of the leg trick and the hook.

Teachers often seem to, when they do understand, have trouble explaining the principle in a way that students can understand. Maybe the teacher doesn't understand it, maybe it just works for them because they do the exercises. Maybe they just lack the vocabulary or the talent to translate the experience into words. Maybe they don't want to give away what is precious to them that would be useless to a beginner.

Some teachers earnestly want to communicate the truth but are hampered. Others have some idea, maybe better, maybe not, but choose to communicate in a way that keeps students dependent upon them. I don't want to mull it over too much.

I believe that Adam has enough understanding and command of language and ability to frame his perspective that he could explain things in a much more useful way. But also, his material does lead to the skills he demonstrates, most people just won't be able to make the connections to get there. So would it even be advisable or useful for him to explain more deeply? How do you explain impressionism to the colorblind?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:42 am

t's a demo, you want it to go well to illustrate the point, so you do the thing and have the student spice it up a little, right? You CAN do the thing, but if you are working with the same students over years they SHOULD be able to neutralize the things you're demonstrating, right? They SHOULD be getting better. So your students have to choose to not neutralize the jin in order to demonstrate it for the other students.

No your student should be trying to knock u over and defend your response
You should be good enough to defend and respond
If not you should not be the teacher
The tricker and more skilled the student is the better the demo is
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:48 am

wayne hansen wrote:t's a demo, you want it to go well to illustrate the point, so you do the thing and have the student spice it up a little, right? You CAN do the thing, but if you are working with the same students over years they SHOULD be able to neutralize the things you're demonstrating, right? They SHOULD be getting better. So your students have to choose to not neutralize the jin in order to demonstrate it for the other students.

No your student should be trying to knock u over and defend your response
You should be good enough to defend and respond
If not you should not be the teacher
The tricker and more skilled the student is the better the demo is

I don't disagree one bit. It's not how I do things and I feel a bit insulted when I'm working with someone and they say to do something and I do nothing and they fly away.

I get that they're trying to be encouraging but come the fuck on,ya know?

The good ones I've never seen do it. Unless just using the student as an easily posable dummy to show the geometry of a situation the instructions. Generally the best teachers I've learned from don't do these sorts of show off demonstrations.

But I do understand why from a practical perspective. Just imagine if he tried to demo on somebody and it just doesn't work? But as you say if there is a chance your shit won't work then your shit doesn't work in that specific context.

Though I do appreciate the pointer it gives.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:56 pm

origami_itto wrote:Regardless if you use qi, yi, or subtle or evident strength, you still need to affect your opponents balance and/or structure in some way. Which means you need to place yourself in such a way so you can add your pressure/movement/energy through the right direction and angle. So I understand exactly what I see here, Huang does not even try to catch his student's balance or structure. And he tries to use external force against the woman, there's absolutely nothing "internal" in that clip.

Which clip? I didn't see anything with Huang failing, but may have missed it. Relink?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/176153805171706/

There's a saying that "as soon as one touches the opponent's clothing, they can be thrown in any of 18 ways" It's not about repositioning or adding pressure through direction and angle in that way. Free circle.

You make contact, assume ownership. You don't need to fight for position.

Who said anything about "fighting" for position. :-\ When you read in things that are not even close to what I wrote, no wonder you don't understand. ::)

I agree that control should be instantaneous. You should be able to connect with the opponents feet/root and take control of his centerline instantly on touch. That doesn't mean that your touch and energy has no direction. You always have a direction. Some people say that as soon as an opponent touches you, he should bounce away. Really? Where's the control in that? None. That is not to "assume ownership". You should be able to direct your opponent to any point you want. When I look at "Masters" as Wei Shuren, Wang Peishang, Ma Yueliang and others, I can see that there is a connection between master/teacher and opponent/student. The direction of pressure matches the movement and direction of the opponent. The direction of energy is not chosen by the opponent or just magically appears. It's the master who decide how to link together with his opponent and where to send him. Subtle as it might seem, there is still always an adjustment of angle, distance and direction of energy to "assume ownership".

What basic foundation though?

And my point is just that it's not taekwondo. We work to create space in the body for movement to occur that is not (easily) externally visible.

It requires a structure but it's not about structure. You're talking about it in terms of judo, but it's more like a gun.

Have no idea what you are jabbering about. You seem to read a lot that can't be found in my posts.

In essential terms. I maintain my zhong ding. When we make contact, I'm connected all the way down, I have all the position I need. On contact I can read which direction is empty and guide them into it. As they try to change to move or hide the empty angle I also adjust and whoever breaks first looses.

You need to adjust? I thought you said that was unnecessary. ::)

Nothing of what you wrote here contradicts what I wrote. Understanding internal structure, and maintaining it, is the foundation. Nothing works if you don't understand this. There's no Taiji jin without this understanding.

... I have gotten to the point where I can start to throw somebody around a little when they grab my arm.

He just jumps around as soon he grabs you, right? Because you don't need to adjust to his structure and balance, correct. ;)

I believe that Adam has enough understanding and command of language and ability to frame his perspective that he could explain things in a much more useful way. But also, his material does lead to the skills he demonstrates, most people just won't be able to make the connections to get there. So would it even be advisable or useful for him to explain more deeply? How do you explain impressionism to the colorblind?

I don't care about what people say or how. Skill has nothing to do with the mouth moving. I see what I see. If you understand skill you know when it's there and when it's not. I gave examples above of three people I regard as masters, and one of my own teachers is in the same league. My ruler to measure skill and judgment is just fine.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:16 pm

https://www.facebook.com/reel/176153805171706/

That's not Huang Sheng Shyan, which is who I thought we were talking about.

I've lost the thread of replies and quotes in your response there so not sure who is saying what.

Further I admit I have no idea what either of us is even talking about anymore
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:20 pm

origami_itto wrote:https://www.facebook.com/reel/176153805171706/

Yes, I spoke about Richard Huang. You can compare this clip with hos classroom videos. Big difference IMO.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:28 pm

When I met my teacher I was the head instructor at the Sydney TST school
He asked for a push,to that stage I had not met anyone who I wasn’t at least50/50 with
Not only could he make me fly without me feeling where it came from
He treated it like a game of snooker and named which pocket he would put me in
Over time he showed me how to develop it
At no time did he set things up
It was all done from free pushing,unstructured attacks at full pace or free sparing
Likewise with weapons
If your teacher can’t do that keep looking
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:44 pm

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:https://www.facebook.com/reel/176153805171706/

Yes, I spoke about Richard Huang. You can compare this clip with hos classroom videos. Big difference IMO.

I don't know a thing about that guy and judging by the clip don't really need to.

We might be talking past each other.

What I'm trying to say is that, well, it's internal. The intention behind the movement is what matters, not the physical appearance.

I'm going to speak hypothetically here.

Let's just assume that despite his apparent flexibility, hitting Huang is like running into a steel structure. When the students make contact their energy is routed back into them and he may decide to add a little of his own, directed into the weakness in their structure to cause it to collapse and fail. The 18 ways are 18 distinct force vectors in which directions we can aim our jin.

He doesn't need to adjust or angle for position. he's got his Zhong Ding, his earth, his hands are just a medium of transmission.

The example I gave in the other thread is probably the best I can describe it.

Let's say your arm is in an arc. You can put your fingers on something and use your shoulder like a hinge to push it down like a fulcrum, or you can push into the arm and direct it downwards using the properties of the arch. They both look the same but one is far more effective.

Same thing applies but much more complexly in HSS type expression.

The intention we place on our bodies and the movement shapes how we generate and use force, not the base inertia of throwing our meat through space.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:45 pm

The HSS method works much more on practice than theory
A lot of people who are saying they teach his method have never met him let alone trained with him
A lot of the stuff layed over his method is actually detrimental to achieving it
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:52 am

wayne hansen wrote:The HSS method works much more on practice than theory
A lot of people who are saying they teach his method have never met him let alone trained with him
A lot of the stuff layed over his method is actually detrimental to achieving it

I'm sure it is and I'm sure I have none of it and don't understand it.
I found what I'm getting elsewhere has some similarity to what I've seen of it and seems to be working.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:04 pm

origami_itto wrote:
The intention we place on our bodies and the movement shapes how we generate and use force, not the base inertia of throwing our meat through space.

not claiming to fully understand all this, either, but I feel like your sentence is super well said.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:49 pm

origami_itto wrote:What I'm trying to say is that, well, it's internal. The intention behind the movement is what matters, not the physical appearance.

You are just getting stuck in semantics. Nothing I originally wrote about is necessarily external.

If I throw out my meat it's always intent that lies behind the action. I want to do something and action follows the idea (yi) of doing something. If an external practitioner throws out his hand or an internal practitioner does it, it is the same. The body follows intent. The difference is the mind-body state of the person.

Yi, qi, mind, movement, body are all aspects of the same thing. Personally I don't really separate them in the way Mizner and others do, and I don't really express what I do in the same way or in the same terms. For me it seems beginner-ish, something beginners do, separating things into parts, examining them while trying to understand what they do. But in reality, everything only functions as a whole and in function, they cannot be separated. And I don't really separate internal and external either.

As Hao Weizhen wrote: ”If you are able to use intention to attack the opponent, then after long experience, even intention does not need to be applied, for the body standards will always be conformed to.“

Beginners try to separate things, for experienced practitioners, mind, yi, qi, action and body are all the same. They only "do" and don't care about any of those terms. When they do something, their mind and body automatically transforms.

Being is doing. Thought is action. Without a body there's no mind.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:11 pm

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:What I'm trying to say is that, well, it's internal. The intention behind the movement is what matters, not the physical appearance.

You are just getting stuck in semantics. Nothing I originally wrote about is necessarily external.

If I throw out my meat it's always intent that lies behind the action. I want to do something and action follows the idea (yi) of doing something. If an external practitioner throws out his hand or an internal practitioner does it, it is the same. The body follows intent. The difference is the mind-body state of the person.

Yi, qi, mind, movement, body are all aspects of the same thing. Personally I don't really separate them in the way Mizner and others do, and I don't really express what I do in the same way or in the same terms. For me it seems beginner-ish, something beginners do, separating things into parts, examining them while trying to understand what they do. But in reality, everything only functions as a whole and in function, they cannot be separated. And I don't really separate internal and external either.

As Hao Weizhen wrote: ”If you are able to use intention to attack the opponent, then after long experience, even intention does not need to be applied, for the body standards will always be conformed to.“

Beginners try to separate things, for experienced practitioners, mind, yi, qi, action and body are all the same. They only "do" and don't care about any of those terms. When they do something, their mind and body automatically transforms.

Being is doing. Thought is action. Without a body there's no mind.

I am only a beginner. I doubt I'll ever get anywhere.

There is research that shows the mental intention someone has when they perform a movement affects a great deal of what they actually do in that movement, even when it looks for all intents and purposes the same. The example I used of the arc is just one simple way something can look the same but be completely different. One is far more powerful than the other. Try it yourself. Make an arc, use your shoulder like a hinge to press it against something, use it like a hook to push into the arc driving it down, completely different, mainly due to intention. Looks the same on the outside.

I don't separate internal and external, just that some of the movement happens on the inside where you can't see it, and intention, of course, is invisible.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links