Xingyi sparrow hawk form

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Xingyi sparrow hawk form

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:46 am

Sparrow by me.
Hope you like it! :)

mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: Xingyi sparrow hawk form

Postby Overlord on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:31 am

That is one heavy blow sparrow with powerful stomps! Thanks and keep up the good work!!
Last edited by Overlord on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby chrislomas on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:50 am

This is my favorite clip of yours. IMHO the intent is much better and the movements looser.
chrislomas
Anjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:20 am

chrislomas wrote:This is my favorite clip of yours. IMHO the intent is much better and the movements looser.

Thanks to both of you.
I realized how poor my xingyi had gotten over the fall and decided to start training really seriously (like 3 hours a day or more), the clip is from after about two weeks of getting back on track.
Problem is that my new job has brought my daily training back down to about 1.5 hours. However, I think that I can still keep improving.
I'll post more stuff when I feel that I have improved enough to show progress.

Again, thanks for the kind words.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:14 am

Chris Lomas is right. This is the best clip we've seen from you so far. It really looked good (to the eye of a Xingyi layman). And you have a great place for your training.

Do you always practice this way (with expression of power) or do you sometimes practice like Mr. Han (IIRC) from the old clip that has been posted a couple of days ago ?

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:21 am

cdobe wrote:Chris Lomas is right. This is the best clip we've seen from you so far. It really looked good (to the eye of a Xingyi layman). And you have a great place for your training.

Do you always practice this way (with expression of power) or do you sometimes practice like Mr. Han (IIRC) from the old clip that has been posted a couple of days ago ?

CD

Depends on how I feel really.
For instance, I put quite a lot of work into sparrow hawk by feeling my way through the alignments going at Taiji speed, especially when I get corrections and whatnot.
On the other hand, if I haven't learned any new body alignment stuff I tend to practice very forcefully, though not as fast as in the clip I posted.
Basically if I want to work on posture I go slow and soft, if I want to work on intent I go hard and slow, if I want to work at combat speed I go fast and hard.
Also I don't usually practice whole forms. What I do instead is focus on one or two single movements at a time and then work my way through the whole form like that. It allows me to train longer and with more focus. However that is a relatively new practice for me. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi Mix.

Sorry for the delay. Here's our Sparrowhawk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA7NOGVv0Ws

I focused more in the sequence of movements than in the issuing of force, to make it a bit clearer to your view. Also, we ALWAYS do it with the left side after the turn, but I did it on the right side both times so you can see the back.

We filmed another one with very slight variations. I'll post it later.
Last edited by Felipe Bidó on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby XiaoXiong on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:09 pm

What branch of Mr. Yang's xy is this form from Mix? Ours is different.
J
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:08 am

The legend of Xue Dian resurfaced, at last....Thank you both!
Overlord

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:49 am

XiaoXiong wrote:What branch of Mr. Yang's xy is this form from Mix? Ours is different.
J

I'm not Mix, but:

That Sparrowhawk on Mix video comes from Xue Dian's system. the Sparrowhawk from my video comes from Jia Chunyuan, Xue's classmate, and one of my grandteachers.
Last edited by Felipe Bidó on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:31 am

XiaoXiong wrote:What branch of Mr. Yang's xy is this form from Mix? Ours is different.
J

Its from Xue style as Felipe said :D
I'd post the Li Cunyi version, but its pretty dusty and I'd need to train it up a bit more before posting.

Felipe, I really like your sparrow. I'll pm you about it in a couple minutes. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby gretel on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:32 am

damn i wish i could learn that stuff.

probably will need to be in next lifetime. i think i could do it but there are no teachers around here that i know of.

gretel
gretel
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:34 am

I wish I lived close enough to come practice with you.
It would be surreal. ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby gretel on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:51 pm

yes, and bizarre and maybe "slightly creepy." but we'd have fun. and i'd learn sparrow hawk form too.

gretel
gretel
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 am

I was reading an Edward Gorey interview in which he said that the German's have a word that simultaneously means cozy and slightly uncomfortable. Maybe that would be the feeling :D 8-)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links