Chris Chapell Ba gua application

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Chris Chapell Ba gua application

Postby middleway on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:08 pm

here is a clip of Chris Chapell (chris Ray now i think??) doing some Ba gua applicaiton. He was featured in Esoteric warriors n is a good fighter if i remember rightly, think he got his ba gua from Kumar but cant remember off the top of my head.

Dont remember seeing it posted before.

cheers
Chris
Last edited by middleway on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Re: Chris Chapell Ba gua application

Postby Buddy on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Chris also did some esoteric Tibetan "bagua" from an Englishman who apparently was a tulku. Good bloke.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:30 pm

That guy has some solid apps. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:36 pm

ahhh yeh .. i remember now ... been years since i read Esoteric warriors. Thanks for the Info.

Yeh he moves really nice. The impressive thing is his change from circle to line ... i like it.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by middleway on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Walk the Torque on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Nice One Chris,

Chris Ray is a good and old friend of mine. He has done a heap of stuff and practiced with a number of really good teachers. He got the goods ;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Very nice indeed.

Form: I dont like it very much. It seems to be a little bit limp, or "lazy". No "twist and stretch"-quality of the limbs, so I see no classical bagua shenfa. But my teacher is all to lazy as well, and with his knowlegde he should know to practice with a more strict shen fa. But he is sufferening from his high belief in relaxation - a kind of CMC and (late)SLT-syndrome, which is very good for taijiquan, but In my own personal wiev, not for bagua, I believe that bagua form should be practiced in a highly technical manner, and the technical aspects of shen fa should be "over emphasised" just like bagua shen fa itself is built on over-emphasising certain aspect. (And that is the very reason why I dont even practice bagua anymore.)

Apps: What I really like is the timing. If you compare with many similar demos, what often disturbs me is the overly aggressive approach. It's not that aggression is wrong. But I think some people are so eager to show the martial usage, so they forget about calmness and timing. A good physical and mental balance, calmness, relaxation - this is what gives you a sense of control over a situation and make sure you can rely on good timing.

In this sense, this vid is definitively better than most, if you compare it with BKF, E. Montague and many other demonstrations. If you dont understand what I mean, please take a look at clips of Wang Peisheng or Xie Peixi, two people known to have been most excellent fighters. These and other real fighters can move with great speed, but there is always a very calm focusing. Think of this as the focus of a cat before attacking a prey, and compare this with the hysterical "montaguesque" - non-timing no-control approach, and you can easily see understand the importance of a calm focused mind that stay calm and focused even when exploding into a fast attack... I think this guy is heading for something really good.
Last edited by Bao on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby SteveBonzak on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:23 am

Buddy wrote:Chris also did some esoteric Tibetan "bagua" from an Englishman who apparently was a tulku. Good bloke.

What is "esoteric Tibetan 'bagua'"?

-Steve
SteveBonzak
Anjing

Postby jarvis on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:34 am

I met Chris a couple of years ago at a workshop for Heaven & Earth chi kung. It was mainly old women but he added some bits for me & a friend because we do xingyi. After the workshop (which was very good) he took the time to talk about his training & compare some basics. He was open, honest & very interesting. I would have liked to do more but private lessons were expensive & combined with lack of time the cost it was impossible.
He has got some good stuff, not just from BKF!
Punch, Kick , It's all in the mind
jarvis
Santi

Postby canard on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:21 am

also did some training under Steve Morris early on if I remember correctly.
The esoteric tibetan stuff he learned from Chris Hansard according to the grapevine, but that could be complete bollocks.
not quite exactly in the service of the Crown
canard
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:25 pm

No true!

The art was called Lung Ta .
Last edited by Walk the Torque on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:17 pm

My fav bit of this clip is at 1:34 where the guy throws a punch and the demonstrator absorbs and turns his body lifting the opponent off his heels. Good stuff. I asked my own teacher how to counter a double punch and he showed me by simply doing this. If the first punch is led into emptiness and the root broken then the second punch is useless.
AllanF

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:47 pm

I thought we all hated "dumb attacking" these days? ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:41 pm

AllanF wrote:My fav bit of this clip is at 1:34 where the guy throws a punch and the demonstrator absorbs and turns his body lifting the opponent off his heels. Good stuff. I asked my own teacher how to counter a double punch and he showed me by simply doing this. If the first punch is led into emptiness and the root broken then the second punch is useless.

did you mean 'double punch' as in 1-2, or as in, two fists punching at the same time?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby OldRed on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:05 pm

I think its a great example of why when attacking it should always be in combinations of 3 or more.
OldRed
Santi

Postby AllanF on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:46 am

everything wrote:
AllanF wrote:My fav bit of this clip is at 1:34 where the guy throws a punch and the demonstrator absorbs and turns his body lifting the opponent off his heels. Good stuff. I asked my own teacher how to counter a double punch and he showed me by simply doing this. If the first punch is led into emptiness and the root broken then the second punch is useless.

did you mean 'double punch' as in 1-2, or as in, two fists punching at the same time?

As in 1-2. If you manage to connect with the first one properly then the second will have nothing in it. Although doing that against a boxer's jab would be extremely difficult. Of course the other thing is of course to be patient and not rush in or hurry your technique.
AllanF

Next

Return to Video Links