Best Xing Yi I've seen

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Best Xing Yi I've seen

Postby HotSoup on Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:23 pm

That I agree with. Reverting to the previous becomes similar to unlearning how to ride a bicycle or ice skating — once the neurology is wired, one cannot unlearn it.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby Kong Bao Long on Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:47 pm

There are a lot better. but he's ok.

I'd recommend he keep his legs together when sinking his Dantian, hips are the root, knees are the middle and the feet are the extension. He loosing connection with his upper body and the ground when bowing his knees, his legs need to stay under his Yao kua. (sit on top of your power) It's hard to tell but is he cocking his coccyx? Xingyiquan more than Bagua and Taiji cock the tailbone/coccyx forward, under the Yao kua, like a coiled spring it. The angle of the footage it's hard for me to tell. Third, that whippy, flappy snappy thing he's doing with his hands, look cool to novices, however it is void of Liang Yi or "two Intents (Xingyiquan's version of silk reeling often often called "Cotton tearing" in my linage I.e Hubei) With Xingyiquan based in real prowess, there is NO shaking (or whatever he's doing) Xingyiquan is all about projecting/penetrating intent. His fajin lacked whole body power... was mostly upper body. I'll note his Deng Jin is pretty good, he didn't display any Tang Jin... but that could be just because he wasn't doing any Shen fa that called for it.

My last critic is probably my biggest pet peeve: I often see "Xingyiquan done making a weak fist or fist shapes that would break the hands if they ever hit anything. My sifu and his brother and now myself due to many years of working on training equipment (various bags and striking posts) countless hours drilling pinky up (as we say...) doing Rise, Drill, Fall Overturn etc.. developed some ugly hands.. To me it's a possible sign (not always) there has not been "real" Gong training when I see weak fists...
Last edited by Kong Bao Long on Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you don't stop "Kong ZI
Kong Bao Long
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:43 pm

I concur
Some of the fists I see in water make me cringe
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:26 pm

In Han Shi Yi Quan we lead with the fingertips, only closing the fist before making contact. The hand is not closed in typical fashion but rather the fingers are rolled, bringing the knuckles forward. There is no distance lost. The hand continues on its forward path as the fingers roll into a fist. But it is a soft fist, as if I were to hold a pencil lead in my fist without breaking it.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:56 am

Taste of Death wrote:In Han Shi Yi Quan we lead with the fingertips, only closing the fist before making contact. The hand is not closed in typical fashion but rather the fingers are rolled, bringing the knuckles forward. There is no distance lost. The hand continues on its forward path as the fingers roll into a fist. But it is a soft fist, as if I were to hold a pencil lead in my fist without breaking it.

Do you find the fingers make a snapping sound as the fist closes?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:07 am

is that like a "kungfu theater" joke
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:38 am

everything wrote:is that like a "kungfu theater" joke

No that's just what my experience is like. I keep my hand loose and then as the punch happens the fingers curl in. A tight fist slows down my arm so I leave those muscles loose. If I don't hit something then they will make a snapping sound as they slap my palm. Just seeing if it's like that for anybody else.

Of course, YMMV for like a phoenix eye fist, but the principle of looseness remains, IMHO.
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:13 am

origami_itto wrote:If I don't hit something then they will make a snapping sound as they slap my palm.

He said you "roll" the fingers, not slap your palm with them. Why should you slap your palm with the fingers? Doesn't that mean you tense up your fist?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:49 am

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:If I don't hit something then they will make a snapping sound as they slap my palm.

He said you "roll" the fingers, not slap your palm with them. Why should you slap your palm with the fingers? Doesn't that mean you tense up your fist?

The fingers are entirely passive here.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:52 pm

origami_itto wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:In Han Shi Yi Quan we lead with the fingertips, only closing the fist before making contact. The hand is not closed in typical fashion but rather the fingers are rolled, bringing the knuckles forward. There is no distance lost. The hand continues on its forward path as the fingers roll into a fist. But it is a soft fist, as if I were to hold a pencil lead in my fist without breaking it.

No snapping sound. It's more like catching a fly. I don't want to hurt the fly. More like catch him and then let him go. In yiquan we focus on ourselves as if the opponent is not there. Where my punches land is irrelevant.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:40 am

Taste of Death wrote:
origami_itto wrote:

No snapping sound. It's more like catching a fly. I don't want to hurt the fly. More like catch him and then let him go. In yiquan we focus on ourselves as if the opponent is not there. Where my punches land is irrelevant.

Interesting. I'm seeing a snap at the end as the limb stops the forward motion goes through the fist into the fingers which are loose so it does that little slap.

Are you saying that there is some intention, awareness, and explicit control in the fingers as you do this?

Where could you direct me to learn more about yiquan?
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:27 pm

origami_itto wrote:Where could you direct me to learn more about yiquan?

Where do you live?
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:34 pm

Best xing yi I've seen. We're all trying to get to this level.
https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/us-news/2023/08/30/64ef53b3268e3ea00e8b45e4.html
Last edited by Taste of Death on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:59 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Where could you direct me to learn more about yiquan?

Where do you live?

Central Florida
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:06 pm

How was the hurricane Idalia weather over there, origami
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links