grasp sparrow's tail as a grappling combo

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

grasp sparrow's tail as a grappling combo

Postby everything on Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:03 am

interesting take on wardoff, rollback, press, push in a no gi grappling sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2UT9ibEzGY

Last edited by everything on Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: grasp sparrow's tail as a grappling combo

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:42 am

Step aside Jake Mace
Go and watch his Why tai chi video
Another YLC artist
In this he talks about YLC but uses YCF GST
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:44 am

sorry, don't follow the YLC part. are you saying YCF is more standup wrestling oriented in this way?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:59 pm

No
He talks about doing YLC tai chi
He uses YCF form for application
I also note on his site he dosent show form
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:36 pm

ah i see what you mean
everything
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:17 am

everything wrote:interesting take on wardoff, rollback, press, push in a no gi grappling sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2UT9ibEzGY

He seems pretty cool...I like the work he's putting in. I almost had a chance to touch hands with him last March when he came to Aipengs school. I woulda went to support his workshop (and meet new people) but I went to the Tampa thing instead.

Some quick observations
, his first set up and attack of GST... is sometimes called "tiger jumps ravine" in Bagua. ( I think anyhow)

It's a great move, I dump people with it all the time. It's where you squeeze from the top arm and from below via your legs. But he only has the Asian dude do one type of basic counter which is step back and out of it. There are other ways to beat it however and especially preempt it from getting started. Namely via, hand control, pivoting and posting up directly.

Love his mention of chaining combo attacks...that is obviously desirable. Any good fighter thinks that way.

But I disagree when he puts his hands together ala Gi = press and says "anytime you put your hands together like that...it's a body lock." YES...HE can do that if he wants to make it HIS THING, no problem.

But that is not the expressed purpose of PRESS / Forward.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:54 am

Subitai wrote:Love his mention of chaining combo attacks...that is obviously desirable. Any good fighter thinks that way.

This is how I learned and practice Taijiquan "applications". Every part of the movement is interpreted as an attack, so we work through what that is like if sucessful, then show the counter and the next movement is interpreted as the response to the counter and a new attack, repeat till done with the form.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:36 am

tiger jumps ravine

very cool to hear about

press

yeah that sounded a little odd.

... but i like that he "saw in the rorshach test" something he relates to as mantis/bjj guy and figured a combo out for himself. when i went to judo it was more fun to "chain" on the fly for myself. or as a rough plan later.
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:50 am

He's using the moves out of the tai chi form as grappling, which is cute, sure, but I'd be more convinced if he was doing this against resistance, not on a non-resisting minion. Even better in a grappling comp.

I mean it......could work? But what grappler is ever going to let him get that first entry with a step that deep? Without that first entry the rest of it doesn't work...

And also, just normal wrestling has solved all these problems already and is better at it...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:39 am

Idk enough wrestling. Was wondering about these points though
everything
Wuji

Return to Video Links