Hot Coffee Challenge

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Hot Coffee Challenge

Postby origami_itto on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:01 am

How hard can you hit a heavy bag without spilling your coffee?

I have been too busy to put much thought into that video I was talking about with Rob and Quigga, but figured I'd ask my wife to just film a quick snip to show you what I'm talking about.

I specifically see this as an expression of single whip, In a fight we might use the left hand to open or distract and then keep the pressure consistent to avoid the opponent interpreting what's happening in the rest of the body, in this case a shot to the solar plexus. If we're completely connected there they can read our movement on the right like a seismograph and use the contact to interrupt it. Instead we can hide it and fold around that point of contact to penetrate their guard and land the strike.

The bag has 100lbs of sand wrapped in bags and old clothes in it, and full disclosure, I DID spill a little on the first take, but I also hit it a lot harder though less correctly :D

Still some room for improvement here I just don't have all day to do takes and record patter. I figured I'd give y'all something you could do better than.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Hot Coffee Challenge

Postby everything on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:34 am

Is this to stay relaxed? Balanced?

Idk what you want to do, but thanks for some content.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:48 am

everything wrote:Is this to stay relaxed? Balanced?

No, just passing the time and considering a principle, hoping to spur some participation and conversation. Knowing full well I'm likely to get a lot of "Your shit sucks"
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Visky on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:59 am

https://youtu.be/uDBx1-EmWQ8?t=328

its not me. but the same exercise as inspiration for alternative testing. can be found on 5:28
Last edited by Visky on Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visky
Santi

Postby RobP3 on Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:15 am

Thanks for sharing. No chance to film last Saturday, but will do so this week. not coffee though, can't stand the stuff lol
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:49 am

Visky wrote:
https://youtu.be/uDBx1-EmWQ8?t=328

its not me. but the same exercise as inspiration for alternative testing. can be found on 5:28

Yeah, part of what made me try this was I was at the office (a rare visit) talking to my manager. Had a cup of coffee in my hand and just picked up a ping pong paddle and ball, started bouncing it and then hit it at him and it was a while before I realized I was still holding my coffee. Started playing with the "steadicam" sort of idea. Tried to write about it a while back here. https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... c5#p517061
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:59 am

Haha yeah probably some of the funniest challenges are inspired by boredom or silliness
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:02 am

For the more serious part, it’s nice you have awareness of the other hand I suppose.

A weird pet peeve, I don’t like it in futbol when I or someone else curls up L hand T-Rex style when kicking ball with R foot.

Also you get “free” power if you consciously stick it out like a baseball type of leg wind up thing.

So the coffee is interesting to me that way
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:30 pm

In practice it's more than awareness. It should still be rooted and powerful.

Consider it in something like parry and punch. The left hand rests on the opponents arm and we punch under.

So much easier to feel in person
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:52 pm

Think that also sounds sensible.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:41 pm

And that's really the thing. I always thought about strength as how much we're pushing against the thing, but this can also be strength like an iron railing or tree. Passively taking whatever goes against it without offering any opinion of its own.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Giles on Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:13 am

Rory Miller recounted in one of his books that he once went into a cell to subdue an unruly inmate and, job duly done, realised he was still holding an unspilled beaker of coffee in his left hand. But, so he says, the cup had a plastic lid on, so it wasn't much of an achievement after all. ..
A very chill guy, is Rory.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:22 pm

today just hit the baden-baden chair and chill with the nice cup of hot coffe - it's october 1(well, here in China so far, we're in the future) - international coffee day - cheers!
Last edited by Trick on Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:57 pm

Giles wrote:Rory Miller recounted in one of his books that he once went into a cell to subdue an unruly inmate and, job duly done, realised he was still holding an unspilled beaker of coffee in his left hand. But, so he says, the cup had a plastic lid on, so it wasn't much of an achievement after all. ..
A very chill guy, is Rory.

One new year's Eve, a bit drunk, before I learned a bit of lungful, I did a full backwards summersault unintentionally when I backed into somebody while laughing too hard and when I was done I stood up without a drop missing from the rocks glass of neat scotch I was holding.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links