Tai Chi vs. Marching

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai Chi vs. Marching

Postby Appledog on Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:20 am

Soldiers march all day. If that is all they did, does Tai Chi beat their marching?

It may be true that one some theoretical or philosophical level Tai Chi is a superior exercise, or even a superior martial art. But apples to apples, oranges to oranges, if you want to teach 1 million people to fight and win a war, is it better to just march?

Serious question: If your battlefield art can't win on the battlefield where exactly is it supposed to win where the battlefield art won't?

Marching is simple and easy and can be learned in just ten minutes. Just like Tai Chi it can take a lifetime to truly master. But it is impossible to fuck up. There is no "miss by 1000 miles" here. You just march.

Hmm, I wonder....
Appledog
Wuji

Re: Tai Chi vs. Marching

Postby everything on Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:42 am

I don't know what "marching" is really for (things like discipline, order, sync with unit, sync with the 1 million, maybe), but what if your question is about "Baguazhang Circle Walking" ? It also seems to depend on your assumptions about "war" ... is it about drones? tanks? Guerilla warfare in tunnels?
Last edited by everything on Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:53 am

The difference is that soldiers are really preparing for combat, and people who practice ima in particular are just playing -even if they're bouncers or boxers. Infantry will also need to be able to run, and then fight.

No matter what, tcc is not superior to any martial art. It is theoretically as good as any other because of its principles. Practically speaking, though, the practitioner must be as prepared as their opponent. By "theoretically," I mean it's based on Sun Tzu's Art of War. Sometimes you won't have the biggest or fittest army. Whaddaya do then?

Hey, why don't the PRC's military focus more on dim mak or qi attacks, along with the marching? :) But, frankly, I think the extensive drilling is necessary to prevent troop confusion with so many soldiers. It's f'in impressive. It does remind me of those huge tcc demos.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:23 am

If that is all they did, does Tai Chi beat their marching?

What is the actual question and what kind of logic is behind this?

Why do you think soldiers do nothing else but marching? Do you mean robots? What do you mean by that Tai Chi has marching? What has Tai Chi to do with soldiers marching?

Serious question: If your battlefield art can't win on the battlefield where exactly is it supposed to win where the battlefield art won't?

Again, have no idea what you are getting at. Are you sure you are serious?`Do you mean that Tai Chi is a battlefield art? How? why? What battle could it win? If it is, why don't you think it can't win on the battlefield? A battlefield art is something made for the battlefield and to win on the battlefield, no?

No, I don't think this question or OP is serious.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:30 am

Lot of standing post in the military, marching is fun too, drill is cool.

Kind of different intent there though. Warfighting isn't about individual hand to hand combat proficiency. I really don't see any connection between my practice and a battlefield art. The suggestion is pretty ludicrous to me.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:44 pm

Appledog wrote:Marching is simple and easy and can be learned in just ten minutes. Just like Tai Chi it can take a lifetime to truly master. But it is impossible to fuck up. There is no "miss by 1000 miles" here. You just march.

Hmm, I wonder....

Really :P Like many things if one has not done it...what looks simple is not...
And yes one can "fuck up" using your words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em4-DyiAB2A

actors acting as Marines ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M197NoDcmVk

Marines training to become Marines ...note the difference

As to marching itself

Foot marches can be defined as the movement of troops and equipment mainly by foot with limited
support by vehicles. They are characterized by combat readiness, ease of control, adaptability to terrain,
slow rate of movement, and increased personnel fatigue. A successful foot march is when troops arrive at
their destination at the prescribed time and are physically able to execute their mission (Department of the
Army, 1990).

Combat organized around control of groups, interaction of groups....marching the basic practice of training soldiers to become integrated into combative groups... learning to act as one unit.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:57 pm

Bao wrote: A battlefield art is something made for the battlefield and to win on the battlefield, no?

and yet some call what they practice "martial art" is it..

The ROC army trains combative's based off their native art..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YId5KCGhx9I

Worked with some of them among other SF groups while in Hawaii , in support of some of their
training as part of a medical team should something go wrong...The ROC's group very impressive...
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:18 pm

jody calls do the trick to a proper fitness marching, so dont forget that when you do your daily brisk walk.

Marching all the time !? not in the swedish army, we were out in the bush most of the time killing eachother and almost oneself too, or running cross-country orienteering.
Trick
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:17 pm

Military displays are deliberately dehumanizing. There’s a mindset being taught: You are not an individual. You are a resource. Disposable.

I can’t stand watching mass tai chi demos for this reason.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:00 pm

we are all one
Trick
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:41 pm

Buddhism - we are all one.
Communism - we are all the same.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:08 am

Martial artists - one for all, all for one.
Trick
Huajing

Postby vadaga on Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:15 am

@Steve James not to get all Life of Brian on you but that is the Republic of China army, not the People's Republic of China army. The Popular People's Front of China's army is different yet again ;)

afa marching wasnt close order drill mainly a relic of ancient warfare and rendered more or less an anachronism by the development of the gatling gun. Obviously it's still done but mainly as team building though some people prefer to play the piano or go to the cinema rather than marching up and down the square with the Sargeant Major.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:10 am

RIGHT!
Seargeant Major, marching down the square.. begin.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:13 am

@Steve James not to get all Life of Brian on you but that is the Republic of China army, not the People's Republic of China army. The Popular People's Front of China's army is different yet again ;)

Correction appreciated :)

afa marching wasnt close order drill mainly a relic of ancient warfare and rendered more or less an anachronism by the development of the gatling gun. Obviously it's still done but mainly as team building

It's team building, of course. But, basic infantry is expected to be able to march for long periods carrying equipment. The more elite groups have to be even fitter. Marching is still done, fighting in formation ended over a century ago. Back in the days of the phalanx or square, marching in unison was the fundamental way large armies fought.

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links