Master Kou

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Master Kou

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:30 pm

Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Master Kou

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:49 pm

Cool blast from the past. Mast Kuo, renowned for going everywhere with an umbrella in the crook of his arm.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:13 am

wayne hansen wrote:https://youtu.be/6roTNgbLFNs?si=NLQ75Viuf_J6na1F

Why did Kuo practice Cha quan if he was so good at Tai Chi? This isn't a slight against anyone or anything (I also do Cha quan, to a point).

I am just curious, as it seems almost every single tai chi master does some kind of thing related to northern shaolin. Did you know, they practice Tantui in Chen Village?

I am just curious as to what people think about this :) I have my own thoughts on the matter but, I don't have the expertise and experience of someone like Kuo, so I will withhold for now.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:25 am

Nobody can answer for KYL, but many people come to tcc after learning other martial arts and how to fight. Often because they're getting older or have gotten injured, and often because it's just interesting.

Ime, the tcc teachers who come from Shaolin, etc., have all emphasized tcc's effectiveness as a martial art. Some very famous masters of other styles developed their own interpretation of tcc. Shuai jiao Grandmaster Chang, for ex, developed his own style.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:50 am

Appledog wrote:
I am just curious as to what people think about this :) I have my own thoughts on the matter but, I don't have the expertise and experience of someone like Kuo, so I will withhold for now.

people I've known including my self found taiji to help them in understanding movement or feeling it was a superior way / approach to fighting..

Often teachers teach basics of things as a test and to provide a good foundation before teaching the more advanced ideas. The problem is that for many CMA teachers who teach taiji as an adjunct to whatever they teach, they often have not really developed the method or principles of Taiji, still retaining the essence of their other styles in teaching taiji...

Even among taiji styles the interpretations and focus can be quite different.

Noted this in Taiwan with some of the teachers I've met there... Including one who was a student of master Wu Guozhong,

His teacher was quite famous as the 2nd student of CMC... explaining to me how Taiji came to Taiwan and the different focuses that evolved from it. Very interesting in talking with him...
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:36 am

I still retain a lot of things in respect for those that taught me
There is no need for Shaolin if you have a complete Tai Chi system
The problem is a lot of people have incomplete tai chi training
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:15 pm

Appledog wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:https://youtu.be/6roTNgbLFNs?si=NLQ75Viuf_J6na1F

Why did Kuo practice Cha quan if he was so good at Tai Chi? This isn't a slight against anyone or anything (I also do Cha quan, to a point).

I am just curious, as it seems almost every single tai chi master does some kind of thing related to northern shaolin. Did you know, they practice Tantui in Chen Village?

interesting you bring up Chenshi-taiji in comparison . a story goes that Kou”s TJQ teacher approached Chen Fake with request of being a teacher in that group, CFK let the older man do a demonstration(form)where CFK asked the man to leave.

That they are doing any shaolin'ish exercises in the chen village is probably as it should be - the shaolin and the village are in the same province.
any decent wushu(art;))school do the high leg kicking/swings exercises, especially for the kids.
it gives a good general foundation.

i my self did.karate, specifically shotokan karate which has bigger more expanded postures, ill guess my karate training gave me good foundation, but still i had to drop parts of it when i began learning TJQ.
but interestingly after learning and practicing TJQ correctly i began to ”discover” stuff in karate whenever i mused over that topic, things that was not at all clear to me back when i was ”serious” about that practice.
Last edited by Trick on Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Return to Video Links