Bagua Zhang of the Grandmaster

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Bagua Zhang of the Grandmaster

Postby wushutiger on Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:45 am

In 2013 Wong Kar-Wai released his epic martial arts film - The Grandmaster. It featured depictions of authentic Chinese martial arts styles. In this episode I select scenes from Gong Er (Zhang Ziyi) fighht scenes and highlight their traditional Bagua Zhang techniques contained within.

wushutiger
Wuji

Re: Bagua Zhang of the Grandmaster

Postby everything on Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:45 am

love your super cool edit. love that morgan freeman narrates. it's hard to imagine someone better looking than Zhang doing these moves. she moves super nicely, but it's also hard to imagine she could do any actual bagua lol. as an actress, she seems to have only one main "determined" facial emoting expression. great fun to watch regardless.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby zrm on Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:34 am

My teacher (Han Yan Wu) was the lead Baguazhang coach for this movie. They had her training pretty hard. Something like 12 hours a day for six months. He had her doing all the traditional stuff.
zrm
Huajing

Postby everything on Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:28 am

awesome about your teacher. hmm, 2160 hours isn't much training in the scheme of things but 12 hours a day for 180 days straight (and no off days?) is crazy and probably over-training. actors prepping for roles are a bit nuts.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:42 pm

Most people I know don't like it. I am probably one of very few fans. But I can understand why, most people would probably need some context to appreciate it. The movie was supposed to be 4 hours long. I like it as it is, but it lacks character development, so I would still love to watch it as it was intended. But WKW has no plans to release one. The original theatrical cut was 123 minutes long, however, there was a 130 minute domestic cut released to Chinese audience only. I am thinking about trying to get hold of it.

zrm wrote:My teacher (Han Yan Wu) was the lead Baguazhang coach for this movie. They had her training pretty hard. Something like 12 hours a day for six months. He had her doing all the traditional stuff.

Interesting... I am surprised she needed so much and hard training, she is a dancer.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby zrm on Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:32 pm

Bao wrote:Interesting... I am surprised she needed so much and hard training, she is a dancer.

The director Wong Kar-Wai is notorious for being a perfectionist. Has been known to do upwards of 40 takes for a single shot.
zrm
Huajing

Postby Bao on Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:52 am

zrm wrote:
Bao wrote:Interesting... I am surprised she needed so much and hard training, she is a dancer.

The director Wong Kar-Wai is notorious for being a perfectionist. Has been known to do upwards of 40 takes for a single shot.

Not really, many of his old movies were made by guerilla filmmaking without a script. And for more traditional filmmaking 40 takes is quite common, not really considered to be a lot.

I understand that he wanted the fighting to feel genuine, and as it was performed by masters. But this still doesn’t explain why a person with a dancer's background would need so much training. Common people would need it yes, just look at Matrix, they practiced for months but their fighting still look bad. But it should be different for a professional dancer. Especially a Chinese one who has done a lot of fighting scenes in various movies. The amount of training certainly tells me much more about her than about the filmmaker.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:58 am

"“It was very intensive because [director] Wong Kar-wei didn’t want us to pretend we know a little bit about kung fu — he really wanted us to be the master,” she tells EW about the six-month-long training process. “For this reason, we had to train many hours a day from 4 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon. I had three different kung fu masters to train me. It was like boot camp.”"

https://ew.com/article/2013/08/21/the-g ... iyi-zhang/
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:43 am

I was always a bit disappointed by the portrait of Xing Yi in that film. It kind of gets reduced down to simple punches, while Bagua gets all the glory.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:13 am

GrahamB wrote:I was always a bit disappointed by the portrait of Xing Yi in that film. It kind of gets reduced down to simple punches, while Bagua gets all the glory.

Agreed - insert bajiquan in place of xing yi

I thought Characters lacked substantial depth
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:46 am

Bob wrote:I thought Characters lacked substantial depth

Yes, I agree. All of the movie feels a little bit like surface only. This is why he should release his 4 hour version. But I guess he/they believe it wouldn’t sell. I suspect this would be the case, though it should probably become a much better movie.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:52 am

For a movie that was supposed to be substance over style, it was very obsessed with style...
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:13 am

Bob wrote:
GrahamB wrote:I was always a bit disappointed by the portrait of Xing Yi in that film. It kind of gets reduced down to simple punches, while Bagua gets all the glory.

bagua "looks cooler" on film due to the "circling"

xingyiquan is just "too efficient"
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:15 am

the bit about the "long training" is also "good hype" ... kinda works on me TBH. i'd probably watch zhang doing baguazhang even without that BTS story. maybe the clips are enough from the sounds of it.
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:57 pm

Bob wrote:

Yeah, but the fight scene with Razor is still great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusJT1UTzT8
Last edited by robert on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links