Oh boy some more push hands vids

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Oh boy some more push hands vids

Postby origami_itto on Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:36 am

BruceP wrote:
Really liked the blue t-shirt and sunglasses guy. Grey t-shirt guy showed some very good stuff as well. Matt wouldn't even need six months to be ring-ready if he trained in the right fighty school.

Are you talking about Eli there? With the regular glasses?

He's strong and has a lot of heart. Works a bit too hard for my taste lol. Him and his friend who does Xingyi have been coming down from Baltimore to every retreat as long as I've been going.

Just so we're clear though, that's who you're talking about and that's who you are impressed by there?

Alex in the grey shirt is a first timer, not sure where he's from but from what I could gather he's a nationally recognized competitor.

Why would anybody want to be "ring ready"? I can't think of a dumber use of training time.

Push-hands proper is really limited within the scope of what is being developed and tested. But it starts with the very basic of basics before it can be anything having to do with tactics and clever hand/arm tricks.

Definitely, it takes a lot of prior work to get anything useful from the practice.
How hard is it to stand up straight and suspend the head? Sink the elbows and press the knees up the sides of the torso?

Dunno, what's the scale of measurement?
Never going to put the center into the body without training and testing those things first.

Why not put the center outside the body? The center of what? Your mass, your opponent? The system of both contending together? Which part are you trying to get control over? That's the real question.
Why just start leaning as soon as the pressure enters the range of the forearms?

Not sure what you mean, maybe a video to demonstrate your ideas?
How can there be a center when the interaction is put at arm's length?

The interaction is happening from the feet past the fingertips into the opponent's body, not at the point of contact. The point of contact is just the join. If there is a join, there is a common center, that may or may not coincide with the physical space occupied by either of the bodies.

Gotta go out there and get your ass kicked many times before trying to win or even push someone else out. Doesn't matter what level of pressure one is engaging in developing and testing tjq, be it push-hands or full-contact sport where the other person is genuinely trying to wreck you- it boils down to EITHER, OR.
Abandon ship or go down with the ship. The former teaches nothing but validation of a misguided sense of progress, whereas the latter...well. Or,...just ignore that basic truth and continue arguing with people here who have been there and done that until you've cultivated a nice comfy sense of victimhood.

Yes, go out, explore the edge of your comfort zone, expose yourself to failure. Invest in loss when winning isn't worth anything. Worry about doing it correctly versus winning a drill. I don't know who you're trying to lecture about victimhood. Who has been claiming to have been hacked and had data stolen as if anyone cared and who is just responding to the constant stream of negative comments with no constructive feedback?

I dunno, man, I'm not collecting dossiers on anybody, just responding to how they chose to approach me, as always. :D

Most people here have no clue about the fundamental dynamics of Taijiquan, prove me wrong. They're hung up on choreography and imitating exercises and can't see what's actually occurring in an exchange or understand what any of it has to do with the classics.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:53 pm

wayne hansen wrote:The reason some people don’t ask their teachers is because they may not have spent any real face to face time with them
First step ask your teacher for sure
if you speaking about ito then he is an certified instructor and a favored disciple of the Dong family taijiquan system, that if anything for sure gives green light from the headquarters to display one’s push-hands fights in public …
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trip on Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:58 pm

Trick wrote:if you speaking about ito then he is an certified instructor and a favored disciple of the Dong family taijiquan system…

Origami Itto/Jason
Are you a Certified Instructor of Dong Family Taijiquan?
Are you a Disciple of Dong Family Taijiquan?
Trip
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:51 pm

I was talking in general
If that is true it says a lot about the Dongs
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:08 am

Trip wrote:
Trick wrote:if you speaking about ito then he is an certified instructor and a favored disciple of the Dong family taijiquan system…

Origami Itto/Jason
Are you a Certified Instructor of Dong Family Taijiquan?
Are you a Disciple of Dong Family Taijiquan?

I am certified to teach the Fundamental Qigong and Simplified form.

I am not a disciple of anyone or anything, favored or otherwise. Alex is my friend.

Some people really seem to be bothered by that.

And nobody here has seen what I teach, I'm starting a free class tomorrow night you're welcome to attend.

https://www.twitch.tv/atomictaichi
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:21 am

Trick wrote:that if anything for sure gives green light from the headquarters to display one’s push-hands fights in public …

I have been posting my push hands training online for years before I even knew what Dong Taijiquan was.

Alex does give me feedback about my videos.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trip on Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:12 am

origami_itto wrote:I am certified to teach the Fundamental Qigong and Simplified form.

I am not a disciple of anyone or anything, favored or otherwise. Alex is my friend.
Some people really seem to be bothered by that.

And nobody here has seen what I teach, I'm starting a free class tomorrow night you're welcome to attend.
https://www.twitch.tv/atomictaichi

Trick said you were a disciple
I just wanted to know if what Trick said was true,
That you were Dong disciple.

I don't understand & I don't want to guess about the--
"some people are bothered by that"
Nor the "jealousy" thing you bring up later.

I don’t know what any of that has to do with my question
Don't know how or what to say about that part of your reply.

Alex seems like a good friend to have, so...
Wish you Thumbs up
Good luck in your endeavors.
Last edited by Trip on Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trip
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:57 am

Trip wrote:Alex seems like a good friend to have, so...
Wish you Thumbs up
Good luck in your endeavors.

I might be a little sensitive. It's early here, pre-workout and coffee. Sorry if I offended anybody.

He's a great guy. Works harder than anybody else I know teaching this stuff. Very encouraging to everybody that shows up to train. No-nonsense, down to earth, thinks practice is more important than running my mouth, but I just can't help myself.

The material itself has really solidified everything I've picked up over the last 21 years. Cleared up a lot of confusion from the Cheng Man Ching stuff I had started with. I see it as a distinct flavor that is definitely closer to the original authentic source.

I really don't want to hijack Onassis's thread any more though. Sorry if I looked like a jerk, I can never tell. Some folks around here seem to use it against me.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:29 am

origami_itto wrote:I might be a little sensitive.

It just means you have found something that you care about and is important for you.

I really don't want to hijack Onassis's thread any more though. Sorry if I looked like a jerk, I can never tell. Some folks around here seem to use it against me.

Don't worry, it's an interesting discussion.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:37 am

Thanks.
Here's a snip from last night.

Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:28 am

Guys it was a teasingly april first “statement”.
Ito waited to today with a comment so at least that should be 100% reality….
Push on … 8-)
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:31 am

Trick wrote:Guys it was a teasingly april first “statement”.
Ito waited to today with a comment so at least that should be 100% reality….
Push on … 8-)

Gotcha.

I do struggle with not assuming everyone hates me, April Fools is not my best holiday.

It's just so hard to gauge the level of appropriate response with pranks.

"Oh you wrapped my stapler in cellophane, hahaha. I just posted a deepfake video to your wife's Facebook telling everyone how bad you are in bed. HA!"
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cgtomash on Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:48 pm

Interesting to view how much of what was shown in the Push Hands Tips videos is reflected in the video of his competition bouts...

cgtomash
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:06 am

cgtomash wrote:Interesting to view how much of what was shown in the Push Hands Tips videos is reflected in the video of his competition bouts...

Good point...but a few things.

1) look at the videos from Itto .... No restrictive rules and freedom is different.

2). Originally I had not trained for this type of push hands...this was some sort of hybrid fixed step.....but the referee would seem to tell me what I can and could NoT do in-between bouts. Very confusing.

---- so apparently, I could have moved my front foot but not the back and there was an odd shaped box on the floor.

3) You can't see it, but I was subtly moving the guys allot and the judge was not scoring points. He wanted his student Mario to get a chance to win.

4) I'm not making excuses for big guys. But i train my Tai chi to yield into emptiness. Sometimes that requires more space and not just in a box. Also, when faced vs stupid rules and a 300lb Stephan Watson who btw was in his past, Taiwan open heavyweight champ.

...yeah given those circumstances....talk is cheap until you touch my hands.
Last edited by Subitai on Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:16 pm

Taiwan recently had a push hand event....They train quite hard, very specific for the event..

The format, commonly used in competitive events.

A good friend of mine took 3rd, in his age and weight division...
The training focused, directed towards the event itself can be very rough although still in good nature
and spirit helping each other train for the event.

Got a chance to test some of my work with his group, .
If one can empty themselves it can be quite interesting good fun.
yep, they did hop among other things, like. most do ;D

A good friend of mine took 3rd, in his age and weight division...
The training focused, directed towards the event itself can be very rough although still in good nature
and spirit helping each other train for the event.

Got a chance to test some of my work with his group, .
If one can empty themselves it can be quite interesting good fun.
yep, they did hop among other things, like. most do ;D
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links