Short Punch

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Short Punch

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:01 pm

We were talking about the "one inch punch" so I fired off this demo of my take on it.

Playing around with a Tai Chi version of Bruce Lee's "one inch" punch. More like three or six inches if I'm being honest. This isn't really something that we train per se, but is a result of the training. In Taijiquan the power is generated through relaxation not direct muscular force.

Here I am shifting my weight from the front to the back and directing that force into the bag, which is filled with 100lbs of water.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Short Punch

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:34 pm

The 1 inch’ish “Taiji”-punch once demonstrated on me by a well known Chen-taiji teacher in Beijing was not the kind that send you backward, it was a “vibrating” punch with a rather “soft” point of impact but very uncomfortable felt on the opposite side of the body(my spine)with a deep nausea quickly following.
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:24 am

I remember the day my senior Michael O’Connell was holding a house brick in front of his abdomen
My TST teacher Dean Rainer did a one inch punch splitting it from one corner to the other on the diagonal
He didn’t break it in two but close enough
Michael told me he was sick for a week after that
Don’t know how he did it but sure impressed me
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:18 am

A water-filled bag is not a good demo source for this; it's absorbing too much and you are visibly pushing it after the knuckles make contact in order to have more visible effect. It's sort of like why it's a bad idea to have mirrors in a tai chi studio - most people will get distracted and focus on what it looks like to an outside observer...
Maybe hang a solid board or something in front of that bag?
Thanks for sharing
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:41 am

Yeah the second one I did a follow through that is reading like a push here. Trying to add to the wave but it reads like a push.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:17 am

I put it in slow motion and you can see the bag soak up the impact before it flies off.

https://youtu.be/iBqCL7y8m4I
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links