Making internal arts practical

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Making internal arts practical

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:44 am

I'm sorry, but a fair, staged fight between two trained and prepared competitors with a referee is not a self defense situation or anything close to a self defense situation. It's a schoolyard scrap.

As mentioned... trained martial artists are rarely the object of unavoidable violence. Men of average size and build are not mostly at risk. Most of the people OBSESSED with fighting and self defense are never going to have to defend themselves.

Criminals pick the easiest targets, the most vulnerable appearing people.

This is what needs to be trained for. IF this woman knew Taijiquan it could have been a much different situation.

This was last night.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/surveilla ... 8687173673
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:46 am

Aikido, Karate, Kendo……..and Judo are considered as Gendai Budo - a “modern” tradition of martial arts…..and by so sort of GJJ too if it was Japanese….Heck, Muay Thai and Queensberry rule Boxing too.
Although they all spring from the “old” traditions, Koryu in Japan
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:11 am

Bao wrote:
Also that you need to keep your hands up, but.

https://chrisboxing.com/articles/low-ha ... -position/

Not only Ali in his prime, also Roy Jones jr and Prince Naseem among others understood the true master guard.
Trick
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:07 am

Being able to do a backwards break fall/roll would have saved her there. Do you teach break falls in Tai Chi Chuan? Most don't...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:21 am

I’m waiting to see your film of a backward break fall being pushed from a set of 4 steps
If she was trained in tai chi she might have made him do a forward break all down a set of steps
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:51 am

Yeah, and I'm waiting to see your film of.... well anything.

A forward breakfall has definitely saved me a few times - going over the handlebars of a bike for instance.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:27 am

wayne hansen wrote:I’m waiting to see your film of a backward break fall being pushed from a set of 4 steps
If she was trained in tai chi she might have made him do a forward break all down a set of steps

At the very least she should have noticed him running up the stairs next to her and gotten her guard up and gotten into a less vulnerable position that may have avoided it entirely, or yes, allowed her to reverse the attack if the skill was there. She was in the safe zone of the church steps and completely oblivious.

Some seniors I've trained with have reported getting roughly bumped in the new York subways only to turn and find the person laying on the ground.

And that's the most practical use of these in my opinion, making us more aware of our bodies moving through the world and interacting with other bodies from a more stable and less vulnerable base.

Far more of us are taken out by bathtubs than bandits, if you want to talk practical.
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:17 am

Musashi was wrong when he said “you can only fight the way you train”.

But, Musashi's fights were to the death, and he survived to write about it. If every time you rolled, you'd either live or die, I'm sure you would only practice what worked.:)
If you're rolling/sparring with someone who you know is intentionally trying to hurt you, what then -besides calmly getting up. Ever met "that guy"?

Imo the only difference between "real" and 'sport" is the intent to injure. There have been 'real' fights in pro-wrestling and boxing. There've been plenty of robberies with no intent to injure.
Anyway, I don't think what you practice has to have anything to do with your response on 'the streetz.' I think it's fun, and good to maintain physical fitness.

My pov is that either it's life or death or it's not. If it's not, relax, there's nothing to worry about. If it is, relax.:)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:32 am

Steve James wrote:

But, Musashi's fights were to the death, and he survived to write about it. If every time you rolled, you'd either live or die, I'm sure you would only practice what worked.:)
If you're rolling/sparring with someone who you know is intentionally trying to hurt you, what then -besides calmly getting up. Ever met "that guy"?

Imo the only difference between "real" and 'sport" is the intent to injure. There have been 'real' fights in pro-wrestling and boxing. There've been plenty of robberies with no intent to injure.
Anyway, I don't think what you practice has to have anything to do with your response on 'the streetz.' I think it's fun, and good to maintain physical fitness.

My pov is that either it's life or death or it's not. If it's not, relax, there's nothing to worry about. If it is, relax.:)

also caught my eye, ;)

GrahamB wrote:

We are not automatons, we are human beings.

hasn't been my experience...

It might be better said it depends on the training as to whether the statement is true or not..

For example, most who practice CMA do not appear to use what they practice when called to use...
a big issue in the 70's, one that for the most part has not changed.

Boxers on the other hand look like how they train, ie they are boxers...

the fails of taiji practitioners, examples of incorrect training or understanding of their training...
Training for PH is not fighting...
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Observer on Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:06 am

GrahamB wrote:Yeah, and I'm waiting to see your film of.... well anything.

https://youtu.be/HylYwgaJWBI?si=l14Dnm8z4DhwWDp_

FWIW that Youtube channel “fundamentaltaichi” has a lot more material spanning a quarter-century (or more) of practice.
Last edited by Observer on Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Observer
Santi

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 am

Observer wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Yeah, and I'm waiting to see your film of.... well anything.

https://youtu.be/HylYwgaJWBI?si=l14Dnm8z4DhwWDp_

FWIW that Youtube channel “fundamentaltaichi” has a lot more material spanning a quarter-century (or more) of practice.

Bald spot, black polo, glasses, and a belly?
If so that does explain a lot about the comments and perspective.
Thank you!
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:04 am

origami_itto wrote:I like what he's saying but I'll add that what's realistic is both Nonconsensual and usually ASYMMETRICAL violence.

Generally you can escape 95% (random number, how can you prove a negative?) of potential violent conflicts either by de-escalating or evacuating.

What's that number reach when you're an average sized man who carries themselves like a martial artist?

The ones that are generally unavoidable aren't BJJ tough guy gets jumped near as often as women gets assaulted in her home by a home invasion or romantic partner or family member. Random criminal or fratboy picks someone vulnerable looking.

Kata, sparring, whatever, it goes out the window with 50 lbs of muscle difference between you. I don't care how good you are. (another random number)

Situational awareness and comfort with tactically useful objects and the ability to spot substitutes in the wild. Emotional regulation.

It's all well and good to move well but like Qi Jiguang said.

(These skills will not prepare you for battle, but they can supply you with extra strength. Therefore they too should be a part of military training. On the other hand, civilians who do not have much strength can also learn much that is useful from these skills, which is why I have included this chapter at the end.)
  Boxing arts do not seem to be useful skills for the battlefield, but they exercise the hands and feet, and accustom the limbs and body to hard work. Thus they serve as basic training. Therefore I have included this discussion of them as the final chapter, in order to complete this study [of military theory].

Part of why I scoff at "combat" ____ in marketing.

Great post!
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:07 am

Here’s something to make IMA practical-

Santishi and other developmental standing postures, are NOT fighting stances!
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:14 am

I just meant that it's possible to do things, like push hands or whatever, that are not TO THE DEATH and super serious without only ever being able to do that in a self defence situation. In that sense Musashi is wrong. But also if you've never experienced being outside your comfort zone, then you'll freeze up and crap out when it happens, so in that sense Musashi is right.

Emptiness is form, form is emptiness!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:24 am

that poor woman who got pushed down the church steps ... IF she knew taijiquan, not sure it would help her with the "push". and IF she knew taijiquan, she may still not be very aware of her surroundings. you can be "the world's greatest mma fighter"(tm) and get ambushed suddenly and "shanked". who knows. not really sure if anyone here is really a truly obsessed prepper or if the middle school dialog just sounds that way, though.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links