Well developed dantian for Upyu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Well developed dantian for Upyu

Postby ors on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:41 am

In the "Yang Longchang thread", Upyu Rob asked whether someone has any film about a well developed, visible dantian without silk uniforms. Well, I have some nice clips, what I found quite satisfying for this question...

Wuxing tongbei:

Then there is this clip about master Ma Yueliang:

OK it is not just a dantian, but the whole lower body, very well developed though, I think... ;)

Master He Jinghan's yang taijiquan is quite a good example as well:

And finally my own teacher, master Han Kuiyuan... Well, he has a hiding shirt, but his body movements are quite visible this way as well:

Here is another one, where he is wearing a T-shirt instead, but the video quality is not the best...:

http://www.chen-taichi.hu/video/koros200205.rm

Cheers!

Örs
ors
Wuji

Re: Well developed dantian for Upyu

Postby Bao on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:59 am

ors wrote:In the "Yang Longchang thread", Upyu Rob asked whether someone has any film about a well developed, visible dantian without silk uniforms. Well, I have some nice clips, what I found quite satisfying for this question...

The Dan tian is never visible. It is a tiny spot inside the body/stomach. You can feel it, but never see it. You can not develop it physically, The only you can develop are the muscles around or over it (stomach muscles). The two things you can do with the dantian are - (1) use this spot as the center for your movements and (2) feel it (concentrate your qi to this point or ahwtaever you call it).

Nice to see some clips of your teacher btw.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:02 am

:D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby ors on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:10 am

Bao wrote:
ors wrote:In the "Yang Longchang thread", Upyu Rob asked whether someone has any film about a well developed, visible dantian without silk uniforms. Well, I have some nice clips, what I found quite satisfying for this question...

The Dan tian is never visible. It is a tiny spot inside the body/stomach. You can feel it, but never see it. You can not develop it physically, The only you can develop are the muscles around or over it (stomach muscles). The two things you can do with the dantian are - (1) use this spot as the center for your movements and (2) feel it (concentrate your qi to this point or ahwtaever you call it).

OK! Let1s call it beer belly! Though Upyu would liked to see this, I think...

Örs
ors
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:47 pm

You guys need to watch the professionals do this stuff ;D

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby ors on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:14 am

Mmmm!

That belly dancer was extremely good. She developed a very flexible, open body, and a pleasure to watch her movements!
But I think definitely not her belly leads the movements of her limbs, so…. Not a good example, sorry! ;D

Örs
ors
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Bao:

Hmmm.

In Chen Taiji, there are various exercises for moving the dantien in various directions. Some of these are, indeed, a metaphor for "using the center" but are also ways to rotate or fold/unfold the lower spine.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:01 am

Andy, I have nothing against those exercises. I think that you should call something what it is. And we should not take lightly on terms and concepts that have a different cultural context and are allready very hard for us to grasp.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 am

Bao wrote:Andy, I have nothing against those exercises. I think that you should call something what it is. And we should not take lightly on terms and concepts that have a different cultural context and are allready very hard for us to grasp.

How about "Dantian area" instead of Dantian ?
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:15 am

Bao wrote:

Sorry I have to disagree with you on this point about the dan tian not being able to be physically developed. I know about TCM's theory and Qi Gong's explanation about the dan tian, but in Dai Xin Yi Quan we can develop this area and it is VERY visible on a expert such as my teacher (Yan Long Chang).

I really cannot comment on anyone else's styles development but only on my own.

As for the other comment about concentrating on this spot while you are training, this is also something we do not do. Power flows from this spot and is in our case coordinated and directed to all of the other parts to the body naturally, not with conscious thought.

JB.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby ors on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:38 am

Dear Bao!

To tell the truth Andy is right. In the chen family gongfu, we usually call the the mentioned area as dantian. It is quite a common name in the chinese MA community for this part.
If you remeber Jarek's interview with the famous bagua practioner Ma Chuanxu, he talk about the dantian in the same way.

Neigong is Dantian. You have to attain high skill in Intent (Yinian) practice and develop sufficient Internal Qi. It's like electricity. Dantian, three inches below belly button, once developed is like a leather ball. Dantian becomes the place where all Internal Qi of your body gathers, it's like electric field.

"Dai" Jon in his article about the squatting monkey stance of the dai family mentioned the dantian again the same way.

So you can't say that we use this term in a wrong way, just because how we use this is not the same as yours.

Örs
ors
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Dai Zhi Qiang wrote: Sorry I have to disagree with you on this point about the dan tian not being able to be physically developed. I know about TCM's theory and Qi Gong's explanation about the dan tian, but in Dai Xin Yi Quan we can develop this area and it is VERY visible on a expert such as my teacher (Yan Long Chang).

But the question of definition is still if it is the area around, or the dantian itself which is developed. We can surely both discuss TCM and semantics, and there will be different answers. For you, your own understanding of your practice should definitively be more important than the exact definition of dantian.

As for the other comment about concentrating on this spot while you are training, this is also something we do not do. Power flows from this spot and is in our case coordinated and directed to all of the other parts to the body naturally, not with conscious thought.

I think this is a good and the correct approach.

ors wrote:Dear Bao!

To tell the truth Andy is right. In the chen family gongfu, we usually call the the mentioned area as dantian. It is quite a common name in the chinese MA community for this part. If you remeber Jarek's interview with the famous bagua practioner Ma Chuanxu, he talk about the dantian in the same way. "Dai" Jon in his article about the squatting monkey stance of the dai family mentioned the dantian again the same way. So you can't say that we use this term in a wrong way, just because how we use this is not the same as yours.

Oh dear, now I have to "dear" everybody! :D Ok then - Dear Ors, :)

The "trouble" here as I said is a cultural context. If chinese in China use a term like the dantian to point to something else, or use the term instead of something else, or use the dantian in a practical sense - a chinese would still understand what was meant, because they understand the use of their own language and the original meaning of the term. Chinese is a contextual language which means that sometimes, how you use a word can decide or change the meaning. This is like using numbers in China - one hundred can mean one hundred, but it can also mean "many". It depends on how, why and where you use it. Or "five", like in the five phases, five colors can mean something else than five.

Now, I will not say that you use "dantian" wrong, because you use it in a practical way, in a way you can use a practical function. But at the same time, if you only use the term in a practical sense and at the same time not careful about the original definition, you will have trouble in your communication. People will misunderstand things and you will delay their progress. If you do that, it is not only unecessary, but disrespectful to both the students trying to learn something of value, and also toward your own teaching. Therefore I think you should always respect the original meanings of words and be very careful about how you use specific terms.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Dantian is dantian. The developed area IS, actually, the dantian - and everyone talks about moving the dantian, expanding the dantian, etc. (not the muscles around it). That may be one interpretation of what is going on, but that is not how practitioners who can do it talk about it.

(Chinese can be a vague language (as most Asian languages seem to be), but not every word is vague - rather, I think what happened is that they retained the old usages as well as adding specific meanings of words as opposed to rectifying them later on to a single specific meaning (for example, "three" can also mean "a large number" in Chinese sometimes, which is a hallmark of ancient times where they simply didn't have many numbers :) ).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:24 pm

I freely admit to having problems with various Chinese terms and concepts, but dantien, to me, has always been fairly clear. It is the lower abdomen, and is a package of muscles that can be and are developed to have a certain resilience and mobility. (I have not come across dantien mobility in western exercise, but I have not see everything). Generating movement from this area is a simple, but profound concept, and there are various exercizes in Chen Taiji, Xinyi and, I am sure, other systems, that work on this.

One of the odder, and more interesting facets of my personal practice is when working and concentrating heavily on dantien exercises, that it feels to me as if I have swallowed a cannonball or watermelon. The result is a reactive mobility in the center of the body, rather like a giant ball-bearing, from and to which movement flows.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby ors on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:21 am

Dear Bao! ;)

Sorry for being polite! :P

I think this conversation a little bit "semantical", but you are certanly right in your point of view.

My teacher once said to his students, that they have to practice the form 10.000 times and there will be no questions any more. "Yi wan", or 10.000 in Chinese simply means "a lot".

After this sentence there was a guy who started to count his forms... :o

Örs

Funny, that there were a few reply to my original post, just Upyu haven't say anything....
ors
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links