Chinese Civilization CCTV New Frontier

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Chinese Civilization CCTV New Frontier

Postby Bob on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:56 am

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Chinese Civilization CCTV New Frontier

Postby Andy_S on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:57 am

Bob:

Is there any CMA in these?

While I don't deny that CMA is a product of Chinese culture, this IS a CMA forum...and while archeology is a subject of great interest for many, it does not really float my boat.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:51 am

Andy:

You might be right---maybe I should have posted this off the topic. However, as I read over a lot of posts on the boards about all the speculation of what Chinese martial arts is or is not, it seems that a good dose of understanding Chinese civilization can put the art in a more realistic context as opposed to trying to fit the context of traditional Chinese martial arts into a present day interpretation.

I have been watching CCTV 9's martial arts series and it strikes me how much of the art is tied up in the philosophy, religion, and political setting of that particular time. However, the traditional Chinese martial arts, in my life, is a hobby not a profession so perhaps I indulge myself by circumambulating [going around the theme of a topic as I gradually spiral toward toward it's center--walking upward and around a mountain as opposed to a straight line to the top. LOL] the topic.

FWIW, it probably doesn't add much to the physical aspects of one's practice but it might regarding the mindset of one's practice, if indeed that is of any interest to the modern practitioner.

To me it is all fascinating and captivating but that is the trappings of an academic. For me, both physical and mental, the practice is all about insight---my killing/slaying/"I am a bad-ass" days are 30+ years past.
Last edited by Bob on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:47 am

What do you mean your "killing/slaying days are past"?

Exactly what kind of a cream puff are you?

MFTU, Bob! All hope is not lost! Pick up a battleax and get stuck in to your local neighbourhood muggers/drug dealers/students/academics.

Trust me, you'll feel better for it. And younger, too.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 am

Andy:

I am sitting here laughing my ??? off---My 16 gauge Harrington Richardson has been fired since the 1970s.

I like being a creme puff! I think I'll hug a tree rather than kao it!

Later.

Two teens wounded in Monessen shooting

By Jeff Oliver

VALLEY INDEPENDENT
Wednesday, January 21, 2009

MONESSEN - A Monessen teen was hospitalized with multiple gunshot wounds Tuesday in the latest violent incident involving juveniles and young adults in neighboring communities.

Monessen police Chief Mark Gibson said Niko Grogan, 17, of 1014 Rostraver St., suffered wounds to the arm and legs near the corner of Second Street and Reed Avenue shortly after 3 p.m.

Gibson said Grogan and DeJuan Windom, 18, of 314 Highland Manor, were fired upon by at least two people who were on foot.

Grogan then ran down steps that connect Second Street to McKee Avenue.

He was flown by emergency helicopter to an unidentified Pittsburgh hospital.

Windom suffered a minor hand injury when he was grazed by a bullet, Gibson said.

Gibson would not say if he thought Grogan and Windom were targeted or were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Other shots were fired elsewhere in the city Tuesday.

Gibson said that at 2:59 p.m., shots were fired near the intersection of Ninth Street and Knox Avenue.

Nobody was injured in that shooting, even though one bullet entered Billy T's Bar at the corner, flew across the room and struck a mirror near the cash register.

"The shootings were minutes apart," said Gibson. "We got a call of shots fired at Ninth and Knox, and while we were there we got the call near Second Street."

Gibson said he is certain the incidents are related and were committed by "between four and five people in a small, red sedan."

Police recovered 30 spent shell casings in the area.

"We found 30, but how many did we not find?" Gibson wondered. "There is a lot of snow out there. We don't really know how many shots were fired."

Although concerned about about the shootings, police are equally frustrated by victims who are not willing to cooperate with investigators.

"All they tell us is that it was kids from Donora," Gibson said. "No names; nothing else."

However, Gibson said police received some help in their investigation yesterday, and while no one is in custody, charges are pending in the shootings.

He declined to say how many people would be charged.

"It's another incident involving juveniles and young adults from Monessen and Donora," Gibson said.

When asked if the latest incident was drug-related, Gibson said, "We keep hearing it's over girls, but I can't believe all this is over girls."

The shootings were the second in recent months in the ongoing feud involving young people from the communities.

On Oct. 3, three Monessen people were shot outside a Donora building in the 100 block of McKean Avenue.

Joe Heath, Alan Lomax and Derrick Dixon all were taken to Monongahela Valley Hospital in Carroll Township after that shooting. Lomax suffered the most serious injuries and was transferred to a Pittsburgh hospital.

Prior to that, three Monessen residents - including Lomax - had been charged in the July 1 assault of a Donora teen outside the Monessen Civic Center.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyi ... 08156.html

My home, small steel town in southwest Pennsylvania, 25 southwest of Pittsburgh, population 10,000---not much changes since the 1970s. All the MMA couldn't save ya if you are caught in the wrong bar, wrong part of town, or simply the wrong place.
Last edited by Bob on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 am

Wu Xue= Wu Yi + Wu Shu

Wu Xue is the study of fighting or warfare. It is all inclusive of everything about fighting.

Wu shu is the technique or skill, that is everybody mostly talking about.

Wu Yi the arts of fighting, medicine, physics, tactics and strategy, -- and philosophy.

Philosophy is not bad but a perspective or world view

such as yin yang and we change

such as 5 elements give birth to or hinder one another

--

they help us to understand and categorize etc

They are all relevant to fighting.

;D ;)
SPJ
Wuji

Return to Video Links