From multi style meeting in Warsaw

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

From multi style meeting in Warsaw

Postby dacheng on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:16 am

In result of discussions on some MA forum in Poland (in big par it was disscussion modern sports vs. traditional arts) we decided to organize a meeting, where some things could be much more directly explained than through internet forum.

Many people posted about their will to try sparring with people from various styles. O.K.

So it started from one of my praying mantis style friends and me kind of accepting this "challenge". Gradually it was decided that some people/schools/styles will do some introductory workshops, focusing on fighting/sparring part, and after each of the workshops there would be time for "expressing doubts" by others. So for some it could be opportunity to demonstrate some combative merit of their system, for some opportunity to explain that maybe ultimate combat efficiency is not what they really strive for.

Myself, being prepared for any eventuality, including some actual trials with people from various arts, I prepared program for a short workshop. However, as yiquan is much different from what others do, introducing those elements which are more closely related to fighting, without at least giving people some idea on what kind of training, what principles and what mental perspective it is based would be kind of deceiving them, leading to developing ideas about yiquan too far away from actuality. So I decided to organize additional free workshop, to give people a bit better idea, before they try to get some taste of something more. I didn't expect all of the meeting participants come to this workshop, but at least some of them, so at the meeting at least some could a bit better understand how we approach fighting training. Well, but it turned out that they were not interested at all.

On Saturday morning, apart from our students, only one Wing Tsun guy appeared. So I gave up the program of workshop, and let my students practice some tui shou and san shou, and this WT guy observe and talk to students.

I gave up doing the "fighting workshop" at the afternoon meeting, in situation when the participants wouldn't be at least a bit prepared to understand. However I went there with students, so they could take part in other workshops, and we could do some sparring/fighting if someone wanted to try it out with us.

And... well, it turned out, that those who "wanted to fight" didn't appear, or maybe came but didn't reveal this wish on the place, or maybe they were only interested in seeing others do this, while watching themselves...

Anyway, finally the meeting turned in just 4 workshops, which you can view below. Apart from those styles presented at workshops, among participants there were people from wing tsun, yiquan, muay thai and kyokushin karate.

First there was warming up, partly bjj, partly karate:

Then praying mantis:

And...hmm... shotokan karate..., but... you can see yourself:

Then chuojiao fanzi:

And finally some brazilian jiu jitsu:

So it was fun anyway, and some of us had some beers in a nearby pub after.
dacheng
Wuji

Re: From multi style meeting in Warsaw

Postby CaliG on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:20 am

Czesc,

I like the Mantis vid.

Can you tell me the which Polish website you guys put this together through?

I go to Poland to see my wife's family every year or two and I like to know what's going on next time I buy my plane ticket.

Last time I was in her town they were having a Russian martial arts workshop that same weekend I was flying out. I don't want that to happen again.

Pozdrowenia,

Greg
Last edited by CaliG on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Postby wiesiek on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 am

wow,
i live in Poland
and i gettin` info about such event from eF forum. :o

Probably i`m sitting in the cave. :)

very good idea
keep it up Dacheng !

najlepszego
Wiesiek
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby dacheng on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:10 am

It's Polish Sports Discussion Forum (Sportowe Forum Dyskusyjne) http://www.sfd.pl
This topic is about impressions after the meeting: http://www.sfd.pl/Po_zlocie....-t469578.html
dacheng
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 am

Dzieki Andrzej.
CaliG

Return to Video Links