Ma Yueh Liang: New Pushing hands vid posted on Yuotube

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Ma Yueh Liang: New Pushing hands vid posted on Yuotube

Postby Leishen on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:21 pm

CaliG wrote:
AllanF wrote:Thanks for posting this it is the first time i have seen this clip. And though i am fully aware of how skilled Ma Yueliang was this is the first time i have seen a video of his that didn't look like the other party was 'haming it up' as it were. Thought this was an excellent demo of push hands...though i still think the clip with his student (Qiao?) posted a while back was one of the best PHs clip i have ever seen.

That would be Laoshi Qian Cao Qun.

That's a very nice performance of master Ma. Excellent.
In the first clip I didn't like a lot the behaviour of the student.
Leishen
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:29 pm

As stated by CaliG, that is not Ma Yue Liang but his tudi Qian Cao Qun.
AllanF

Postby velalavela on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:04 pm

There is a bit more footage of his son ma Jiang Bao pushing up on youtube lately...
This is quite a nice one showing some good skills and power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0areLRLhiw

Plus I've always liked this one. I think this is Ma pushing with Ma Jiang bao. You can see the oponent puts a up a bit of a challange to Ma. They look a bit younger than most that you see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh1nj74kRA8
velalavela
Anjing

Postby Little Bai on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:55 pm

Obviously Ma had enormour skills, as can be seen in his students. But still, you cannot blame people for doubting the "honesty" of tuishou clips like these. Then there is always the argument "why can't you just accept he was god?". I remember Martin Bödicker (who met Ma and learned from his students; he posts on this forum as well) saying that the people pushing with Ma gave him face. And you know what, there is no shame in it, it does not take away from Ma's skills. Come on guys, Ma was old, really really really old. And if you want to learn from someone, why would you try to make him look bad, especially when there's a camera around? So allow me to use the same argument you are using by saying "why can't you just accept that Ma is demoing tuishou with his own students, who respect him and who would never try to make him look bad?" It's not like they had to protect Ma from falling over or anything. But it defenitely is not some life-or-death encounter, and I can hardly see the "destructive top quality" of Taiji in a video like this... it's just tuishou.
Last edited by Little Bai on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Bai
Mingjing

Postby GrahamB on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:15 am

If I was pushing with an old man I would never do anything that might make them fall or hurt, no matter if they were good or bad - it's common courtesy.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:17 am

Little Bai wrote:Obviously Ma had enormour skills, as can be seen in his students. But still, you cannot blame people for doubting the "honesty" of tuishou clips like these. Then there is always the argument "why can't you just accept he was god?". I remember Martin Bödicker (who met Ma and learned from his students; he posts on this forum as well) saying that the people pushing with Ma gave him face. And you know what, there is no shame in it, it does not take away from Ma's skills. Come on guys, Ma was old, really really really old. And if you want to learn from someone, why would you try to make him look bad, especially when there's a camera around? So allow me to use the same argument you are using by saying "why can't you just accept that Ma is demoing tuishou with his own students, who respect him and who would never try to make him look bad?" It's not like they had to protect Ma from falling over or anything. But it defenitely is not some life-or-death encounter, and I can hardly see the "destructive top quality" of Taiji in a video like this... it's just tuishou.

QFT
Good, reasonable post. You can admire Ma's skills and still put the performances into perspective.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:51 am

Ed Zackery!
CaliG

Postby fuga on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:54 pm

CaliG wrote:
That would be Laoshi Qian Cao Qun.

At four seconds, the gig is up. Then he makes the mistake of trying to swim under Qian's arm for an arm drag without having his feet underneath him. Meet the floor.

I really like this video - largely as a reminder not to reach for something that's not there. Do not chase.
Last edited by fuga on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Leishen on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:12 pm

AllanF wrote:As stated by CaliG, that is not Ma Yue Liang but his tudi Qian Cao Qun.

Sorry, my mistake :-[ .
Thanks for the correction Allan.
Leishen
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:40 pm

velalavela wrote:There is a bit more footage of his son ma Jiang Bao pushing up on youtube lately...
This is quite a nice one showing some good skills and power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0areLRLhiw

Plus I've always liked this one. I think this is Ma pushing with Ma Jiang bao. You can see the oponent puts a up a bit of a challange to Ma. They look a bit younger than most that you see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh1nj74kRA8

That second clip i had not seen before, and i agree it is a nice clip as, as mentioned by Little Bai, in the other clips he is very old and the 'opponent' is really trying to learn something. In this clip he is younger and the PH more obvious to my amateur eyes, thus easier to see what he is doing. Thanks for posting i also like some of the clips with Ma Jiangbao very interesting.
AllanF

Postby velalavela on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:11 pm

Yes,
all valid points and after all it's just push hands right?...

One point to note is Patrick Kelly's experience of Pushing with Ma on his visit to New Zealand. He of cousre, was not Ma's student but had studied 20 years with Huang Xingxian .
The qoute bellow is taken from his own web we site.

Master Ma was generous enough to do some free pushing with me, and I found his excellence to be in the realm of the Yi or Deep Mind. Though I had made this aspect of Taiji my speciality, I had no chance to match this 93 year old man with almost 80 years experience. I asked him my weaknesses, and one that he mentioned was that I kept my arms too close to my body, giving the partner more chance to attack. Later when I showed a video of Master Ma to my teacher Master Huang, his first comment was that Master Ma kept his arms to far out! Obviously from this it is clear that both methods can be made to work. Personally I believe that it is better to practice short - where one mistake is not fatal - and use it long in serious circumstances.

I find it pretty interesting reading the posts on this thread on Ma and comparing with the Horikawa Kodo _Daito-ryu therad running at the same time on this Forum.
The following from a post by INterloper on that pretty interesting thread...

Here's a tidbit from Stan Pranin's Daito-ryu book -- a snip of an interview with Horikawa's wife and a couple of his students:

"Mrs. Horikawa: During practice, Horikawa would apply aiki and keep it applied for minutes on end while he was speaking, so it was pretty rough on his partner!

Morishita: Yes, because you weren't able to move at all. And gradually it would become difficult to breathe. It was as if you were being pressed with cotton so that you couldn't move. It wasn't that it was excruciatingly painful, so much as that you simply could not move at all."

"Iida: It was as if your body was being pressed deep inside, so it was very tiring. To people looking on from a distance it must have seemed fake, so Horikawa Sensei would call them over and say, 'Touch him.'

Mrs. Horikawa: Then he would say [to his uke], 'Try to escape.' He would pin with only one finger, but his uke would absolutely not be able to budge.

[snippage]

Iida: His way of applying techniques was very soft. They didn't even seem like techniques. They were what could be called true kukinage (air throws). In other words, you couldn't see any power being put into the techniques. Not being able to move and not being able to figure out why, well, it's hard to believe.

Morishita: His hands were very soft, as if they weren't doing anything."

I guess martial arts are something that has to be felt to fully experience it much more than it just be seen. Really we are all doing our best to get better at this stuff.

I guess I wish when people saw the Ma footage that has now started turning up they dwelt less on the 'its a put on' and focused more on the 'how does he do that'?

But again you can talk about and write about this stuff but you won't really get anywhere..... really you have to just do it.

regards
velalavela
Anjing

Postby Martin2 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:29 am

Hello everybody,

just a little comment as a student of Ma Jiangbao and someone who met Ma Yueliang several times.

The clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh1nj74kRA8 shows best what I experienced with Ma Yueliang. Looks like the clip was made in China, so before 1986, but Ma Jiangbao does not look that young - so may be after 1980. So let's say Ma Yueliang was 80 years - I reapeat - 80 years old.

I think one clearly sees Ma Yueliangs combination of neutralizing and power generation. There is no extra hoping around or strange kongjin, just straight pushhands at a very, very high level (I never met somebody, who was able to do that to Ma Jiangbao). That is, how I remember Ma Yueliang and what was most impressive to me: Ma Yueliang was not a superhuman, but (even at high age) a humble man of great abilty after a live long learning process.

Thanks

Martin2
Last edited by Martin2 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin2
Huajing

Postby Walk the Torque on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:03 am

wassy wrote:hey cali g and others ,

i know exactly what you mean. i was also skeptical until i pushed with grandmaster li li qun. this was a truly life changing experience, its a shame few practitioners of this class remain. however i never said never, i just said well maybe but i am not convinced. over the years as i have studied qigong in more depth, to become a better qi gong doctor, i have come to realize that i can manipulate qi with just the mind alone and with little or no physical movement of the body. 10 years ago i was a scientist who would never have thought this was possible either. it truly amazing what we can all achieve if we are open to it. grandmaster ma never claimed to be a magician, said there is no mystery to any of his pushing hands tech, even lin kong jin. he said it is just practice, hard work, and perseverance, any body can achieve this!

if you now how to use the opponents power like ma does, the quantity or quality of your opponents is not relevant. ma is doing very little just returning what is being sent his way. this was often enough to disturb peoples centre and balance. ma was able to sense your center without touch, he knew the quality and of the incoming force and therefore used and appropriate response. even standing in the ward off position with your arms touching ma, without any actual pushing per say, his opponents found it hard to remain in zhong ding, balance. although ma does not look like he is moving, he is using tiny tiny movements to dominate your center. this is often why the people who push with ma look like they are hamming it up, they are genuinely having trouble just standing up. when my teachers witnessed ma's demos in shanghai he said some people were off balance before they even made contact. this is very hard to appreciate without being on the receiving end of it! i have spoken to many people who have had the pleasure of pushing with him, they all say the same, and are proud of the opportunity they had to meet a top player. they also said they did not ham it up, we can only take their word! george xu and patrick kelly are two good examples; both reputable teachers in the west, who would gain nothing by letting lil old ma push them around, but neither gentleman could get close to him! if you could beet a man who in 40 years of open public demos with audience participation had never broken a sweat, you would be mad to let him push u around! beat him up and get famous then take his students was the traditional method as many of you know!

respect to all the teachers of that generation, they were something else.
guys and gals like us spend too much time on the internet and not enough doing tai ji. ma often said talk is cheap, practice!
peace all

+1
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links