Short videoes of Ma Yuehliang playin tuishou

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Short videoes of Ma Yuehliang playin tuishou

Postby velalavela on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:31 pm

The body shape and stance look like Ma, but true, the video is pretty fuzzy.

That arm drag (done here by the opponent) is supposed to be a favourite move of Ma’s.

So I’d not be surprised he knew how to counter it himself pretty well.

Also one of the 13 methods of Ma’s Wu Style push hands excercises drills that move.

My Tai Chi teacher often catches me out with it and I can rarely attack from it so the vid gives me some ideas to work with anyway.

Again thanks for posting it.
velalavela
Anjing

Postby Shanghaijay on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:06 pm

The person in the vid is Qian Cao Qun. He was a senior disciple to Ma.

Shen Tiegen was one of his senior disciples.

Both Adam Frank and I studied with Qian in the 90's in Shanghai.

Jay
Shanghaijay
Anjing

Postby velalavela on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks for that clarification Jay.

He learnt his Tai Chi very well. Some nice skill on display.
velalavela
Anjing

Postby cdobe on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:11 am

Shanghaijay wrote:The person in the vid is Qian Cao Qun. He was a senior disciple to Ma.

Shen Tiegen was one of his senior disciples.

Both Adam Frank and I studied with Qian in the 90's in Shanghai.

Jay

Thank you, Jay. You have been very lucky that you had the opportunity to train with this man.

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Shanghaijay on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:40 am

cdobe wrote:Thank you, Jay. You have been very lucky that you had the opportunity to train with this man.

CD

Yes, he is definitely one of the all time greats. Very focused on Taiji as a martial art.

Jay
Shanghaijay
Anjing

Postby AllanF on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:28 am

That is a really nice clip of Qian Cao Qun. Excellent stuff. 8-)
AllanF

Postby ppscat on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Well, it's good to see that many MYL's disciples have/had great push hands skills. With that fuzzy video it was easy to get mistaken who he was, as the way MYL and Qian Cao Qun perform push hands look very similar, at least to untrained eyes.

Velalavela, in our version of the Yang Style Two-Man Set there is a countermove to an armdrag (movements 36 and 37) that resembles what shows Qian Cao Qun in the clip posted before, though we cross the opponent's (left) arm. It's more a "Gao Tan Ma" than a "Ji" as QCQ shows. Also you can see Sha Gouzheng and partner doing a soft and very distant performance, where the countermove is just an "An" to the right arm. Look at 1:27

Last edited by ppscat on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ppscat
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:19 pm

I like that clip by Qian Cao Qun a lot better than the clips by Ma with the fawning students.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:52 am

Hi Jay,

I've heard a lot about Qian Laoshi, but I was wondering if you knew of any bios of his that are in print in English.

Greg
CaliG

Postby Andy_S on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:53 am

When I was in Chen Village over the summer learning Chen Zijun's PH, the "armdrag" - actually an underhook rather than an armdrag per se - was the key set-up move before a whole range of technqiues could be applied. And yes...nice sharp counter.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:46 am

GrahamB wrote:I like that clip by Qian Cao Qun a lot better than the clips by Ma with the fawning students.

I think they have all to much respect for Ma. There are some very good clips of him. But when seein' some of his students... well... :-X
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:36 pm

It was interesting that Ma already had Qian up on his toes before Qian attempted the armdrag.

J, does Qian still teach? I'd be interested in hearing more about him too. One of these days Shanghai.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Shanghaijay on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 pm

fuga wrote:It was interesting that Ma already had Qian up on his toes before Qian attempted the armdrag.

J, does Qian still teach? I'd be interested in hearing more about him too. One of these days Shanghai.

That was not Ma that was pushing with Qian. Qian is the guy on the left you are mistaking for Ma.

Unfortunately Qian passed on around 2000.

As for Shen Tiegen:

Shen Tiegen began his study of martial arts with Shuiajiao at the age of seven. China at this time was in the midst of the Cultural Revolution and life was chaotic. Fights at the time were commonplace. A boy of small stature and little strength he was often bullied and subsequently had to learn to defend himself against multiple opponents and people much larger then him. As a result he developed his tingjin to a high level and his knowledge of the moves and leverage became
quite high.

At the age of 15 he began his study of Ten Animals Six Harmonies Xinyi Quan while continuing to study Shuijiao. The training was rigorous and started early in the morning. All free time was spent training and studies were often neglected.
In his early 20’s in addition to his Xinyi training he was exposed to Ge Dou, Shuijiao and Qinna of the Chinese Military system. This is a very simple yet effective system.

In 1980, at the age of 25 Shen Tiegen was introduced to Qian Cao Qun a noted disciple of Ma Yueliang and began training in the Wu Jianquan Style. He became a disciple of Qian Cao Qun and was later picked by Ma Yueliang to become an indoor student under Ma Yueliang and Wu Yin Hua, where he trained with them for over ten years until the passing of Wu Yin Hua.

Shen Tiegen has practiced with police, military and martial artists from many styles and countries. Because of his small stature and knowledge of actual application he is recognized internationally and in Shanghai as one of the top practitioners of Wu Style fighting skill and tuishou
Shanghaijay
Anjing

Postby Shanghaijay on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:32 pm

The guy pushing with Qian laoshi is Zhu Fengtai. He is one of his disciples. Mr. Zhu can still be found most mornings in People's park.

Jay
Shanghaijay
Anjing

Postby fuga on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Doh!

My bad, sorry. Thanks for the info anyway.

I need to look at those videos again.

-pete (feeling stupid)
fuga
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links